10 lb. butt going on

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cronocide

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2016
Pennsylvania
I was originally going to do a picnic shoulder today for pulled pork. I got up at 5:30am and got the smoker running and pulled the shoulder out of the fridge to get it seasoned. As soon as my knife pierced the wrapper I sensed an off putting smell. Wife confirmed my suspicions with her nose that it was indeed bad. I only bought it 4 days ago on sale and had it in the refrigerator. That is the first bad piece of store bought meat I have come across.

I ran down to Sam's at 10am and grabbed a 10 pound butt for $17 and it now on the smoker at 195* for the first few hours to get the smoke in it. Ill crank it up to 225* after. It's going to be a long day haha.

MayButt.jpg

Bummer about the bad butt… it happens… good recovery! Hope this isn’t what you’re counting on for dinner tonight 🤔 unless you’re eating really late!

Reactions: crazymoon
The butt hit 158 and stalled. Pulled and wrapped in butcher paper and put it back on. Still sitting at 158 lol.

Bumped it to 250* when I wrapped.
On the pellet grill, I usually run a couple hours at the lowest setting to maximize smoke, then ramp it up to 275° or so for the remainder. My offset likes to settle in somewhere between 250 and 300°, so that's where I let it run, for the most part.

Reactions: mike243
The butt hit an internal temp of 195*. Used my inkbird to probe around and it slid in like butter. Resting it for an hour and will have finished pics.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky