Pork shoulder questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PongGod

Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
Wanting to tackle smoking a pork shoulder for the first time on my new OKJ Bronco drum smoker. Assuming my meat is in the 6-7 pound range (I think that's pretty average), what's a good temperature to target for the chamber? I'm thinking 250-260F might be appropriate. And if I'm able to maintain that temperature, what would you estimate the total cook time to be to reach sufficient tenderness? I'm guessing 8-9 hours which would be similar to that of my last brisket of a similar weight. It's my understanding that 195F is a good target for the internal temperature, but once reached, is it typical to wrap and rest for some period of time (hour or two?) just like with a brisket?

Any tips on this are appreciated!

I personally like the 225-250° F range, well, for most everything.

I smoke over hickory until it hits 165° and then wrap until 195°/probe tender, and then FTC (foil, towel, cooler) to rest for however long you need.

Reactions: PongGod
All good advice above....Will stress again....Its not done till the probe (i use a bamboo skewer) slides easily into ALL parts of the meat. You may have pockets that are slower to break down than others.

Jim

I'll ride at 250ish throughout the cook unless I start to see it stall. At that point I'll boost it up to around 275. I do pull at / around 203-205. Again, just go by touch at that point. If the protein has pulled away and loose around the blade bone it's pretty much done.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky