First Pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zooloo10

Original poster
Nov 1, 2023
Long smoke starting tomorrow.

MES30 with mailbox mod.

8lbs pork shoulder, salt, mustard, and light rub + plastic wrap the night before. A rack of st. louis cut ribs dry brined over night, rubbed in the morning. Idk about y'all but i cant seem to fit a whole rack of ribs in the smoker so i usually half to cut in in half.

No rush on the pork shoulder since its for a get together Saturday, that what the ribs are for, just hoping it'll be done sometime before midnight lol. Saw a great post about smoking the shoulder a few days ahead and prepping sliders in a foil tray to go in the over 30 mins before food, seems like a great idea so ill be trying that out. Pics in the morning of the smoke going.

First time running the pellet maze other than an initial burn to season it, hoping it keep lit pretty well. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• camera_capture.jpg
    camera_capture.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 70
Mailbox is working great. Might be burning just a little fast. About 1/2 through a row in 1 hour. We'll see how long it lasts. Running the MES at 235 since it's pretty cold out. It's dipping to about 220 with the element of before the heats rising again.

Edit. Forgot to mention running some 100% hickory pellets

Attachments

• 20231102_090102.jpg
    20231102_090102.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231102_090112.jpg
    20231102_090112.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Looks like a good start. I don’t think you’ll get a full rack on the mes30 without cutting. I never could. How do you plan on reheating the pulled pork? It should be done by midnight haha, especially if you plan on wrapping it at the stall!

Reactions: JLeonard
How do you plan on reheating the pulled pork?
Can't find the post now but I saw someone say they pull it and store it over night then prep a foil pan with slider bun bottoms top them all with meat put the tops on and tight foil. Then oven at 275 for 20-30 mins. They said it gets the top bun a little toasted and the inside slightly steamed.

Reactions: JLeonard
In regards to your tray burning to fast, this could be a result of to much airflow.
You know it actually slowed down once it heated up outside a bit. Maybe the stark difference in outside air temp was causing a lot of draft. My maze is just starting the 3rd row and we are 8 hours in now.

8 hour update. Ribs have been in 6 hours. Still need another hour or so it looks like. Butt just got to 160 so I put it in a foil tray with a rack in it and wrapped it in foil. Took a little chef snack that was hanging off the smoker rack. Man was it good.

Loving this AMNPS

Attachments

• 20231102_160514.jpg
    20231102_160514.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231102_160859_HDR.jpg
    20231102_160859_HDR.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 48
You know it actually slowed down once it heated up outside a bit. Maybe the stark difference in outside air temp was causing a lot of draft. My maze is just starting the 3rd row and we are 8 hours in now.

8 hour update. Ribs have been in 6 hours. Still need another hour or so it looks like. Butt just got to 160 so I put it in a foil tray with a rack in it and wrapped it in foil. Took a little chef snack that was hanging off the smoker rack. Man was it good.

Loving this AMNPS
Sounds like you're good then!

Can't wait to see the finish!

Loving this AMNPS
Lookin good! Also feel free to crank that smoker up to 275F. Those cuts of meat don't care if you smoke at 275F. It will get you to your completion time faster too :)

Reactions: gmc2003 and jcam222
Ribs were excellent. Took about 8 hours without foil at 235. Pork I pulled at 205 and chucked it in a cold oven to rest for a couple hours. Still 190 internal. Bone came out extremely clean. First couple nibbles were incredible. So juicy.

Success. Only one load of pellets in the AMNPS too. Didn't have any issues all day. So glad I made the mailbox mod. Made my life so much easier.
20231102_221512_HDR.jpg

20231102_221354_HDR.jpg

20231102_194837_HDR.jpg

20231102_194333_HDR.jpg

Ribs were excellent. Took about 8 hours without foil at 235. Pork I pulled at 205 and chucked it in a cold oven to rest for a couple hours. Still 190 internal. Bone came out extremely clean. First couple nibbles were incredible. So juicy.

Success. Only one load of pellets in the AMNPS too. Didn't have any issues all day. So glad I made the mailbox mod. Made my life so much easier.
View attachment 680012
View attachment 680013
View attachment 680014
View attachment 680015
Congrats on the success man, that all looks great!!!

Yep mailbox mod with AMNPS for 12 hours of smoke rocks!
Keep it up :D

Reactions: indaswamp
Some fine looking eats Zooloo and congrats on the spinner. Also let us know how the reheating process works as you mentioned in post #7. I'd be afraid that the slider buns would wick out the remaining moisture from the meat.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: zooloo10
I'd be afraid that the slider buns would wick out the remaining moisture from the meat.
I got all the pan juices reserved on the side. maybe the move is add a little back in after the reheat. Definitely let y'all know

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky