Pork prices...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm still laughing cuz my wife came downstairs and I tattled on my toddler pup... she laughed as well!

And yes, totally off topic... but they ( my dogs) are my comic relief!

It's up to all of us to help keep this forum on the right track. I've learned a ton here... and continue to learn... that and be reminded of some of the things on the to do list that have been pushed back!

Ryan

Interesting thread. Living close to Smithfield, I'm still amazed that the Chinese were allowed to purchase the company. That, and I just happened to notice the article in the original post was written by Tyler Durden.... First rule of fight club?

Interesting thread. Living close to Smithfield, I'm still amazed that the Chinese were allowed to purchase the company. That, and I just happened to notice the article in the original post was written by Tyler Durden.... First rule of fight club?
Nice catch, I hadn't noticed that...

Reactions: JLeonard
That, and I just happened to notice the article in the original post was written by Tyler Durden.... First rule of fight club?
You would have to know the culture of that site, named aptly: ZeroHedge "On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero". That is a direct quote from the movie.

The Tyler Durden I.D. is for those wanting to post financial articles anonymously for obvious reasons in today's censorship culture. But this is a tangent......back to pork prices....

You would have to know the culture of that site, named aptly: ZeroHedge "On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero". That is a direct quote from the movie.

The Tyler Durden I.D. is for those wanting to post financial articles anonymously for obvious reasons in today's censorship culture. But this is a tangent......back to pork prices....
Many moons since I watched that movie, but I get it now.
As to the rest, pork is just one thing to worry about. When you hear the things the folks at Davos and the WEF speak of in regard to their solutions for global issues it all seems more Orwellian by the minute.

This is interesting. Kroger in my area has pork shoulder .99/lb with no limits, probably stock on hand. There were a bunch in the case when I got mine, were is the operative word here

Reactions: JLeonard
This is interesting. Kroger in my area has pork shoulder .99/lb with no limits, probably stock on hand. There were a bunch in the case when I got mine, were is the operative word here
We never see that price anymore haven't in probably the last 5 years or so. Went from .89 and .99 up to 1.29 to 1.39 and now they say it's on sale at 1.99.
My plan is to raise our own if I can get the pen that I haven't started building done. It's on my very very long list of stuff to do.

Reactions: Retired Spook
We never see that price anymore haven't in probably the last 5 years or so. Went from .89 and .99 up to 1.29 to 1.39 and now they say it's on sale at 1.99.
My plan is to raise our own if I can get the pen that I haven't started building done. It's on my very very long list of stuff to do.
It will suddenly go up on your list if prices get too spendy for you... I know how those lists go as well!

Ryan

You will have much better tasting pork.

It will suddenly go up on your list if prices get too spendy for you... I know how those lists go as well!

Ryan
You know I actually do stuff that's on the list. I finish one thing on the list and 3 more things appear. I know when I die there will still be a long list because I'll never get it all done. Also it seems I don't work near as fast as I used to lol

I'm sure about that I'll try to get breeds based on taste not on how fast they can be processed into meat for a grocery store somewhere
Berkshire and Duroc are my favorite breeds. It’s ok if they are mixed but if you can get both those blood lines or at least one of them in your mix it’s a game changer on the supper table. They don’t need to be pure breed is what I’m saying. Fat that is like butter in flavor. Now I’m hungry.

Reactions: indaswamp and DougE
Berkshire and Duroc are my favorite breeds. It’s ok if they are mixed but if you can get both those blood lines or at least one of them in your mix it’s a game changer on the supper table. They don’t need to be pure breed is what I’m saying. Fat that is like butter in flavor. Now I’m hungry.
The best part is that the fat hasn't been bred out of the heritage breeds like it has been in grocery store fare.

Any knowledge of the Red Wattle breed? I'm figuring on heritage breeds just haven't chosen one or two yet. I still have time I have to get a decent pen up first

The best part is that the fat hasn't been bred out of the heritage breeds like it has been in grocery store fare.
I got one for you Doug.
My neighbor butchered 3 pigs they were raising, they were Mangalista or maybe crossed but mostly Mangalista, anyway my oldest son volunteered me to help them with their cure meat, fine and dandy. When I smoked the belly pieces I started the smokehouse at about 125* and put the bellies in for an hour or so to dry before adding smoke. When I checked on them they were rendering at 125*. The fat is very delicate on those. I kept the temp around 120* and started smoke. Around an hour after that the fat was dripping like crazy and was becoming translucent. I had to finish them with cold smoke. Never seen any pork fat act like Mangalista. It’s delicious but hard to work with.

Reactions: DougE
Any knowledge of the Red Wattle breed? I'm figuring on heritage breeds just haven't chosen one or two yet. I still have time I have to get a decent pen up first
No personal experience with the Waddle but I’ve heard they are along the lines of the Duroc. I’d say green light on those.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky