Cold smoking pork belly and pork loin - curious about how long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Someguyonaroof

Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
East of PDX
I finished up curing my pork belly and pork loin this morning, I've got them soaked/rinsed so that the salt content is fine. Pork belly was dry equilibrium brine and the loin was a wet equilibrium brine and they were in there about 3 weeks. Curious as to ya'lls recommendations on smoke time. This section of loin is only a couple inches thick as it lays souchingly in the fridge.

Reactions: JLeonard
I generally use a pellet tube in a drum smoker for my cold smoking, and my back-up smoker is an electric box "Big Chief" also fueled with pellets burned in a hot plate. I shoot for a pit temp of 70°F or less, and as you can see I have plenty of draft, and a gentle smoke. In both smokers, I'm hanging the bacon vertically.

With my smoke tube in my drum smoker, I'll smoke 6 to 8 hours, then return the bacon to the fridge overnight, then another 6 to 8 hours on day two. Day 3 is not out of the question, but it's very smoky, too strong for some.
px2PeSF.jpg

The Big Chief has a much smaller volume so 7 to 8 hours of smoking works fine.
E4frSKE.jpg

I cold smoke much like thirdeye, but I go 4 smoke sessions. And I like to cold smoke at night here in the south; it is colder at night, and the humidity is higher-both are great for cold smoking.

I also use a tube, but much prefer pellet dust than actual pellets. I get a very, very thin blue smoke which is also much better for cold smoking.

I cold smoke much like thirdeye, but I go 4 smoke sessions. And I like to cold smoke at night here in the south; it is colder at night, and the humidity is higher-both are great for cold smoking.

I also use a tube, but much prefer pellet dust than actual pellets. I get a very, very thin blue smoke which is also much better for cold smoking.

I stopped at an Ace on the way home from some errands and picked up some small maple wood chips to see how those do. I've got apple and I think bourbon barrel (oak?) pellets in my bins right now.

Reactions: JLeonard
I generally use a pellet tube in a drum smoker for my cold smoking, and my back-up smoker is an electric box "Big Chief" also fueled with pellets burned in a hot plate. I shoot for a pit temp of 70°F or less, and as you can see I have plenty of draft, and a gentle smoke. In both smokers, I'm hanging the bacon vertically.

With my smoke tube in my drum smoker, I'll smoke 6 to 8 hours, then return the bacon to the fridge overnight, then another 6 to 8 hours on day two. Day 3 is not out of the question, but it's very smoky, too strong for some.

I've got a Traeger 870 so I figure I'll put the tube on the far right and I'll have the loin section on the left edge since it's thicker than the belly and the left edge is the hottest zone when it's running. going to throw some cheese on the smaller rack that runs across the top

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky