Louisiana Crawfish 2024 Update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Posted this in a different thread that went off topic, decided to start this thread to keep it separate.

Gonna be a tough year for crawfish with the mega drought in South Louisiana. Pond producers are bringing in 1/4~1/3 of what they would in a normal rain year. And prices reflect that...$8~10 per pound live right now. Flip side is, drought years are usually great for shrimp and crabs....more salt water in the brackish marshes is better for the shrimp and crab young. I expect to see more shrimp boils rather than crawfish boils this spring. The only outlier is the Atchafalaya spillway and the rise in the river. If production is good, that may lower prices, but overall, expect higher prices for Certified Louisiana crawfish.

https://www.wbrz.com/news/crawfish-...a-struggling-to-break-even-after-2023-drought

I hate to hear this, but from what I understand, this will be an overall good thing for future harvests.

I'll still have to do at least one crawfish boil just to keep my sanity!

Reactions: JLeonard
Posted this in a different thread that went off topic, decided to start this thread to keep it separate.

Gonna be a tough year for crawfish with the mega drought in South Louisiana. Pond producers are bringing in 1/4~1/3 of what they would in a normal rain year. And prices reflect that...$8~10 per pound live right now. Flip side is, drought years are usually great for shrimp and crabs....more salt water in the brackish marshes is better for the shrimp and crab young. I expect to see more shrimp boils rather than crawfish boils this spring. The only outlier is the Atchafalaya spillway and the rise in the river. If production is good, that may lower prices, but overall, expect higher prices for Certified Louisiana crawfish.

https://www.wbrz.com/news/crawfish-...a-struggling-to-break-even-after-2023-drought
You know its same story every year too hot too cold too dry too wet bla boa bla bla . I think they are too early on their prediction but at 8 to 13 a lb they can keep em ! I can go right there to sherburne wma and catch till my hearts content in the ponds but i guess we will see?

Reactions: JLeonard
We have been watching the prices as well and just yesterday were talking about switching from Crawfish to a Shrimp Boil for our annual Boil. They are talking that here in North Texas we could expect to pay $15/LB for sorted and graded live Crawfish. We typically figure 3lbs per women and kid and 5Lbs per Male adult.... going to be too rich for many of our attendees....

Jason

Reactions: indaswamp
I foresee many more shrimp boils this spring. right now, 16/20 count shrimp are $3.99/# locally. And $0.75~1.00 less at the docks. And about $1.50 less if you buy off a boat. $2.50/# off a boat ain't bad right now...

Reactions: millerbuilds
Courious how this will efffectr prices here in the midwest. Seems all the crawfish we have available here are frozen and imported from Vietnam of all places.
Makes me wonder, why the "F" do we need to import crawfish of all things, from VIETNAM of all places !! :emoji_rage: I better stop there before consequences.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky