Pork prices...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In my area the Costco pork butts have gone from ~$1.50/lb to over $3/lb. Glad I still have a few in the deep freezer.

Maybe I should have grabbed the few pork butts yesterday that were on sale for $1.59.
Wife was next to me so I couldn't. Haha
Have 2 or 3 in freezer, so she frowns upon me buying more.

You know whats interesting about that article is that it talks about Smithfield.....Which is owned by a Chinese company. And how they have had to close US processing plants. Pretty soon all of our pork will be speaking Mandarian.

Jim
In my opinion our government should block all such sales to China and other countries we wouldn't consider allies. I'm glad I have about 6 bellies in r freezer.

In my opinion our government should block all such sales to China and other countries we wouldn't consider allies. I'm glad I have about 6 bellies in r freezer.
My 35 lbs of bellies I have curing were $2.99 lb. Good thing!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Man China owns so much of our country. And our politicians are steadily selling us out.

Jim
I just read an article that was talking about how our current government has not kept track of how much farm ground the Chinese have bought up. It’s spooky. All I can say is to find a small local producers and processors. This will keep you in meat. Then let the grocery sales be what they are, but having a connection to the actual producer is a smart hedge right now. Support them.

You know whats interesting about that article is that it talks about Smithfield.....Which is owned by a Chinese company. And how they have had to close US processing plants. Pretty soon all of our pork will be speaking Mandarian.

Jim
Screenshot_20240122_192250_Chrome~2.jpg

I just read an article that was talking about how our current government has not kept track of how much farm ground the Chinese have bought up. It’s spooky. All I can say is to find a small local producers and processors. This will keep you in meat. Then let the grocery sales be what they are, but having a connection to the actual producer is a smart hedge right now. Support them.
That’s why I hit the farmers markets and go to Home Place Pastures for my meat as much as possible. Now if I could find a local chicken producer I’d be set!

That’s why I hit the farmers markets and go to Home Place Pastures for my meat as much as possible. Now if I could find a local chicken producer I’d be set!
Scored shoulder for $3.49/lb (Canadian rubles) this week. Maybe I should fill the freezer. Maybe I should just go with a whole local Berkshire pig again because apparently farm to table isn't more expensive anymore. Never thought I'd see that day.

I have an "in" with a Hutterite colony just south of me that supplies me with 5 chickens every 3 months (lol and they're the size of turkeys). If you can find a local chicken producer get on it!

Alternatively, if you're looking for an area to move to that's drive-by free let me know and I can hook you up with my chicken supplier 🤣

No foreign country whether friend or foe should be allowed to be involved in any area of our domestic food production.
Lol domestic. If I buy "Alberta" beef from a major chain it goes from (literally) a pasture 50 feet away from my house (could measure and post pics if you'd like) to a centralized slaughter house in Texas, then shipped back to my local grocery store for 8x the price because "supply chain".

The western world grocery store is both a miracle and a curse, but "domestic" food production was eroded in the post-war era, and obliterated in the 80s when we searched for a solution to drive down prices.

Foreign countries have been involved in your domestic food supply since the Cold War, likely before.

Lol domestic. If I buy "Alberta" beef from a major chain it goes from (literally) a pasture 50 feet away from my house (could measure and post pics if you'd like) to a centralized slaughter house in Texas, then shipped back to my local grocery store for 8x the price because "supply chain".

The western world grocery store is both a miracle and a curse, but "domestic" food production was eroded in the post-war era, and obliterated in the 80s when we searched for a solution to drive down prices.

Foreign countries have been involved in your domestic food supply since the Cold War, likely before.
Buy and slaughter and butcher yourself. I grew up that way. Sharp knives and a little time is all.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Buy and slaughter and butcher yourself. I grew up that way. Sharp knives and a little time is all.
Oh I do when I can.

Game meat is all my doing due to regs here.

I buy beef and pork from local farms and butcher to save on prices if needed. Normally the savings is not worth my time (also I'm garbage at cutting 🤣). But I might need to look into buying "raw" meat further.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky