Philly cheesesteak ideas?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by mummel, Jul 28, 2016.

1. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

I saw something a while back where someone made a fatty and rolled it in bread dough.  Any go to recipes for something like that???

I'd really like to give something like this a shot.  How do you make the steak fatty.  Do I have to buy shaved streak or can one make it at home?

2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

How about Cheesesteak Hot Pockets???

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/245765/cheesesteak-hot-pockets-step-by-step

Bear

3. I don't have the answer you are looking for but I recommend you try some pepperoni on your next philly cheese steak along with some extra cheese.  Good stuff.

4. bearcarver

LOL---That would be a "Texas Cheesesteak".[​IMG]

No Pepperoni on any Philly Cheesesteak I've ever seen, but I probably only saw about a Thousand or more.

BTW: Welcome Little Mike---When you get a chance, please stop at "Roll Call", and introduce yourself so you can be properly Welcomed.

Bear

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

6. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

8. dukeburger

dukeburger Master of the Pit OTBS Member

9. sqwib

10. sqwib

Dam, now you guys got me Jonsing for one of these!!!

11. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Leftover Tri tip cheese crust sando was tasty or any of the above!:biggrin:

12. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

Wow those pics have me salivating. Thanks. Let me talk to the wife and figure out what she's in the mood for! I'm hungry now.

Bear I saw this pockets previously. Nicely done!!!

13. I make cheesesteaks with all kinds of meat. One of my favorite things to do with leftover brisket. Hell, I even do it with chicken:

14. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

How do you shred / shave meat so it comes out like a Philly cheesesteak.

15. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It's all about the ribeye steak. Which is what I prefer to use. When the steak is still a bit frozen slice into 1/8"-1/4" thick strips. Season, cook in a searing hot skillet. Cooks fast so pay attention. If you must, chop the meat after cooking. I prefer the strips.

16. sqwib

I lay frozen chipped steak in a skillet and shred with a fork while cooking, just as the meat is cooked and most of the moisture is cooked off, I place in a pan add salt and pepper, a bit of my (secret ingredient) a few spoonfulls of a cheese sauce, top with american cheese and fold in. It really is moist this way. I do 10lbs at a time and serve in a steamer pan for parties, its our biggest hit at parties and is always the first item to go.

A cheezewiz type of cheese (cheese sauce) is a good base with American cheese to keep the meat moist-like and being shredded really adds to the "Mouthfeel" texture of the steak.

Serve on a roll. Smoked provolone is a great addition, wrap in foil when hot for about 10 minutes before serving, this also gives the roll a different "chewier" texture for lack of a better word.

If you are making a Philly Cheesesteak, Don't listen too anyone that says don't use a cheese sauce like cheeze Wiz. I usually use a Nacho cheese sauce or a cheddar jalapeno cheese sauce for a base.

17. bearcarver

Chicken Cheesesteaks are on the Menus of nearly All Steak Hoagie Joints in my area---Actually pretty popular.

Bear

18. sqwib

I do that with leftover chicken breasts, I'll take the cold chicken and slice it on the meatslicer, toss around in a hot skillet with a bit of butter and EVO and I'm good to go.

19. bearcarver

Mrs Bear often gets the Chicken Cheesesteak at Salvatore's. I would only do that if they didn't have the Beef Cheesesteak. (Habit)

As for that Cheese Sauce, like Cheese Wiz, I think it depends on the sauce. I had it at Pat's, and it tasted like flavorless Grease.

Bear

20. I generally use check eye steaks frozen and shaved on the slicer. My wife prefers that I grill them first. Then semi freeze them., and slice