Grapes = Jam last of this years harvest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Grapes = Jam last of this years harvest

Well the grapes are ready, and I beat the crows and Raccoons to them. This was the best year for them. They must love a lot of water. Because that is what this year brought. The 10 apples, 4 pears , no plums and no cherrys , Nothing . Very bad year Early cold couple days after a very warm start.

At least I got my Grapes, Concord first real harvest big enough to use for anything

Collected 22 cups of ready to eat / use grapes , not counting what Mona and her mom chewed up lol.

1.JPG 2.JPG

a.JPG

So Grape jam on my list , 8 cups for this batch and 14 - 2 cup bags into the freezer

removed the pulp and seeds from the skin. Cooked both. Sieved out the seeds, added all together
reduced down , No pectin needed . Just butter, grapes , lemon juice and sugar.
After reduced and the plate test. Off to the bottles and in for their water bath.

Now good for a year , Ha Ha . this will not make it a year

3.JPG

4.JPG

This made 7 - 1/2 pint bottles ( 250 mil ) let these rest for the night

Now this morning, Had to try, I usually use a knife but this is " spoon worthy " lol .
Tastes great, and just the right thickness. Now I have a good recipe for my grapes
and when this runs out I have more in the freezer to make more jam

Now , excuse me while I have my Red Rose tea and My Grape Jam

5.JPG 6.JPG
7.JPG

This will also be on a future smoke as a glaze for maybe chicken or pork

David

Oh Yeah! Great looking jam David. Surprised they set without pectin. The wild mustang grapes I get did not make this year. To hot and dry. I normally just can the juice and make as needed. On a positive note the pecan tree I always loved is making for the first time in 8 years!

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Oh Yeah! Great looking jam David. Surprised they set without pectin. The wild mustang grapes I get did not make this year. To hot and dry. I normally just can the juice and make as needed. On a positive note the pecan tree I always loved is making for the first time in 8 years!

Thanks Brian for the love and the comment

I tastes great and the house smells real good now , until I have beans later, lol

Surprised they set without pectin.

Yes they set because of the natural sugars and the peelings plus the sugar you add to the recipe,
if cook too long it will set too much, like some of my Cherries last year. But good for glaze or in turnovers and pies when set that thick.

Too bad about your Mustang grapes, but that is great about the Pecan's

David

Spoon worthy.....thats not a joke at all! Table Spoon worthy!!!

Thanks Civil for the love and the comment

It is that for sure. I noticed when I just got home that 2 bottles are missing
already. Not even enough time to take to the storage closet. lol

This would be good on Rick's BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker Butter swim biscuits nice and warm

David

Thanks Civil for the love and the comment

It is that for sure. I noticed when I just got home that 2 bottles are missing
already. Not even enough time to take to the storage closet. lol

This would be good on Rick's BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker Butter swim biscuits nice and warm

David
I love jam making time.....although the wife had a little snafu this last time..... her pectin didn't do its job and it made a thick raspberry syrup vs jam.....she was going to toss it but after a taste test, I was like this is golden for making raspberry sauces as such....bingo raspberry balsamic glaze made easy! Oh and we got another batch of jam.....

Looks mighty good. Yeah, It wouldnt make it long around my house either. I'd be snacking on it constantly.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the love and the comment

Yes I know one went to the other end of the house to her sisters fridge and Mona probably is doing up a care package for her brother, noticed some pickles walked away also. lol But thats what it is all about.

And yes it is a good snacking food, I like it poured over my ice cream. ( heat it a bit )

David

I love jam making time.....although the wife had a little snafu this last time..... her pectin didn't do its job and it made a thick raspberry syrup vs jam.....she was going to toss it but after a taste test, I was like this is golden for making raspberry sauces as such....bingo raspberry balsamic glaze made easy! Oh and we got another batch of jam.....

Yes me also, but this year no other jam was made here this year as , no other fruits produced at all, thank good I still have a little Apple Butter and my Cherry/Rhubarb left ( hidden in with my smoking things , Mona does not go in there )

The Raspberry sounds very good.

David

Man oh man I am Jellyous!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks fantastic!

Thanks for the comment Retired

I see what you did there, lol

This was house filling great smell and taste. Just like grape cool aid :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:
Only jelly I make any more is my Jalapeno and also Mint, all others are jams when I do them

David

Reactions: 02ebz06
Looks great David! A friend has grapes like that and used to bring us grape pie. I'd drizzle warm peanut butter over it and man was it insanely good!

• Wow
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great David! A friend has grapes like that and used to bring us grape pie. I'd drizzle warm peanut butter over it and man was it insanely good!

Thanks Jeff for the like and the comment

OMG, now that sounds like something I know I could make myself sick from , with a smile on my face.

David

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky