Okay I am completely confused about the amount of cure....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey, I guess I will follow the instructions on the package! Thanks for all of your replies. I smoked it last night and it is good, a little much on the fat content.

Its not to much on te fat content. It is just different.

Happy smokin

Karl
icon_biggrin.gif

Certainly don't want to read any obits about "tainted" homemade sausage!

I que by the seat of my pants but I follow directions when canning, baking, and curing meat!!

Sounds like you did fine. You have to follow each products directions just as everyone has said. An example is look at similar recipes from Morton's book and Ruhlman...the amount of TQ will be different from praque #1/instacure #1.

I love mixing cooking with chemistry!
biggrin.gif

Come on this aint rocket science here.

1 level tsp per every 5 pounds of meat. This is for cure #1 & 2. insta. Does not include MTQ which is 7.5 tsp per every 5 lbs.

HM kits (yuck) cure is a mix with salt, sugar just use the 1 tsp anyways.

Ya aint gunna die.

Come on this aint rocket science here.

1 level tsp per every 5 pounds of meat. This is for cure #1 & 2. insta. Does not include MTQ which is 7.5 tsp per every 5 lbs.

HM kits (yuck) cure is a mix with salt, sugar just use the 1 tsp anyways.

Ya aint gunna die.
Thank you...looks like some dogs got off thier leashes...hahahahahahhaa

Craig

Whatever you use alway's go by the mfg's direction's to the letter, otherwise you might end up sick as a dog using other methods. 
68.gif

If hm is yuck. I love the stuff by the way what brand would you recommend??

Thanx

Karl

Many brands of pre mixed out there.

AC LEGGS

PS Seasoning

Sausage Maker

LEM

Eldons (Master sausage maker BTW)

Cabelas which is made by PS Seasoning

Frisco

Curleys

Allied Kenco

HI-Country (Not affiliated with HM) and 100x better

Con Yeager Spice (Local PA made) 

Dont get cure #1 & 2, pink salt, insta cure, prague powder, kit cure or MTQ confused with Saltpetre which i have used.

NOTE ON SALTPETRE: If this is all you can find or have some of this you better know EXACTLY how much to use. This is pure 100% POTASSIUM NITRATE and not cut with salt, sugar or a combo of both. THIS CAN BE HARMFUL IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE IT AND NOT FOR BEGINNERS.

a5d84f0f_DSC01909.jpg

Last edited:
I use 1/2 teaspoon of curing salt per pound of pork. Depend on how salty you want sausage, you can add up to 1 teaspoon of curing salt per pound.

I make andouilli sausage every month or two.15 to 30 pounds/

I do have my own recipe I use to make Andouili. It has taken me a few tris and errors to get mine to a good taste. I love hot andouille.

If you want a good recipe email me at ([email protected]

I use 1/2 teaspoon of curing salt per pound of pork. Depend on how salty you want sausage, you can add up to 1 teaspoon of curing salt per pound.
I do have my own recipe I use to make Andouili. It has taken me a few tris and errors to get mine to a good taste. I love hot andouille.

What curing salt are you talking about?
If you're talking cure #1, you're way off on the proper amounts!!!!!

~Martin

Looks to me like a recipe for disaster!

There's no way on God's green earth I'm putting 3 tablespoons (plus 1 tsp!) of Cure in ten pounds of pork— no matter HOW salty I want it. That's suicidal.

We must not be talking about the same thing here. As mentioned earlier in this thread, American standards permit 156 parts per million (ppm) of sodium nitrite to be added to ground meat.

Cure #1 contains 6.25% of sodium nitrite and 92.75% of salt. This equates to 1 level tsp per 5 pounds of meat.

Your amounts are 5X too high!

Kevin

The math was helpful.

Looking at USDA site stating dry cure bacon not to exceed 200ppm nitrite.
It is helpful to have a target number below that, and the math to figure it out.  

I use a scale and set it to metric.  It's the only possible way of getting values correctly & safely.  Its not as difficult as it sounds but a weigh scale is essential for the "salt" values.  From there you can calculate the Pink Salt (Sodium Nitrite) which is 6.25% in your case. (6.25% sodium nitrate in the pink salt)

Whether dry cure or wet cure, the total weight should be known (Total weight of the meat for dry cure & total weight of the meat plus the water for wet cure)

I always use 250ppm "Pure Sodium Nitrite" for all of my cures except for bacon which is reduced to 150ppm.

If the total weight is 15kg (15000gm) for example and the Kosher or coarse salt for this total weight is 5%, then: (15000gm)(0.05) = 750gm Kosher salt

Go back to kg for the total weight (15kg)(250ppm sodium nitrite)= 3750mg (1mg = 1 millionth part of a kg).

Divide  this by 1000 to get gm = 3.750gm of sodium nitrite required.

Since the Pink Salt that you have is only 6.25% actual sodium nitrite; then 3.750gm sodium nitrite / 0.0625 = 60gm of PINK SALT required to get the 250ppm (3.750gm sodium nitrite). 

I just happen to know the exact weights of Pink Salt: 5.1634gm Pink Salt per teaspoon

Therefore; 60gm Pink Salt / 5.1634 = 11.6 teaspoons (12 teaspoons)  of Pink Salt needed for the "Total Weight" of 15kg.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky