Oakford 790 Pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikelets456

Original poster
Aug 10, 2023
Right now I have a Weber Smoky mountain and have used it for 8-9 years. I love it and it's in great shape. However, I last year at my nephew's, he had a pellet fed, wifi Traeger. I instantly fell in love, until I heard the price---he spent about $1400 and that ended my search. However, a few days ago I get a ad from BJs for a Oakford 790 series pellet WiFi smoker. I started checking reviews and they were good. I checked on Youtube and the reviews were good. I saw the floor model and I was impressed....Double insulated/gasketed door, heavy duty grilling grates (cast iron), WiFi, solid wheels, etc---for $399 with a cover and 5/3 year warranty. I bought it but haven't taken it put of the box yet. All the tests show accurate on holding temps and feeding. Thoughts? Here's one review:

Reactions: JLeonard
Wow---thanks for the warm welcome. I'm up here in PA. I will do my first pellet smoke Sunday. I will soon update...thanks again!

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Kentucky! Looking forward to some cooks and a review of the new rig.
Kentucky is where we’re looking at moving. Our daughter now lives in Beckley, WV and our other two kids will be moving closer as well.

Anyway, here’s some pictures of my set up. This thing is heavy as all get out. Feels more solid than my trusty Weber grill

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 94
Reactions: 02ebz06 and Hank R
Only one way to test it full load of goodness. Looks like you know what your doing.
First time I did wings…they were amazing! The weird thing is we used a modified basic pork rub, did 40 minutes at 225 , then cranked up to 300 for 45 minutes then finished then off at 400.

Also, first time with the onions. A little bit of garlic and olive oil and smoked for 1:15 along with the wings.

Love me some wings and those look great. And those onions look great too!
My daughter lives in the Williamson,WV area. Definitely some good looking country that way.

Jim

Reactions: mikelets456
This grill seems like a good value and you guys are making some impressive BBQ!

I'm thinking about buying one of these grills but would like to know if the temps are pretty consistent across the main cooking surface. Has anyone done a 'toast test' or 'biscuit test' with this grill to see if there are hot spots? If so, could you please share pictures. Thanks!

Last edited:
This grill seems like a good value and you guys are making some impressive BBQ!

I'm thinking about buying one of these grills but would like to know if the temps are pretty consistent across the main cooking surface. Has anyone done a 'toast test' or 'biscuit test' with this grill to see if there are hot spots? If so, could you please share pictures. Thanks!
I didn’t do a test for n temp accuracy but all items I have smoked cooked evenly. I can tell you the left side cooks slightly hotter but I don’t know how much. I laid a row of sausages and those on the left were don’t about 5 minutes sooner over a 2 hour time period that’s pretty even. I’d say more so than my Weber grill.
Them temps fluctuate at the beginning of the smoke by 10 degrees in either direction then it settles down and stays writhing a few degrees.
Someone did a test on line (honest review) and the temps were dead on across the the entire grill.

I didn’t do a test for n temp accuracy but all items I have smoked cooked evenly. I can tell you the left side cooks slightly hotter but I don’t know how much. I laid a row of sausages and those on the left were don’t about 5 minutes sooner over a 2 hour time period that’s pretty even. I’d say more so than my Weber grill.
Them temps fluctuate at the beginning of the smoke by 10 degrees in either direction then it settles down and stays writhing a few degrees.
Someone did a test on line (honest review) and the temps were dead on across the the entire grill.
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it!

Reactions: mikelets456
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky