Oakford 790 Pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I didn’t do a test for n temp accuracy but all items I have smoked cooked evenly. I can tell you the left side cooks slightly hotter but I don’t know how much. I laid a row of sausages and those on the left were don’t about 5 minutes sooner over a 2 hour time period that’s pretty even. I’d say more so than my Weber grill.
Them temps fluctuate at the beginning of the smoke by 10 degrees in either direction then it settles down and stays writhing a few degrees.
Someone did a test on line (honest review) and the temps were dead on across the the entire grill.

Mike, I'm also a newbie smoker, and like this unit and the price. Anything good/bad to report after having it a while?

Mike, I'm also a newbie smoker, and like this unit and the price. Anything good/bad to report after having it a while?
Other than wifi flaking out once, there’s nothing I’m unhappy about. Since an update it’s been solid. It’s easy to clean, holds temps as well as my friend ‘s Traeger and love the wifi aspect of always being able to check “the smoke”
Btw I was at Rural king on Saturday and they had a wifi pit boss on sale….. I swear it matched the Oakford to a “T” . I wonder if they’re made in the same factory?
Anyway, this was from my recent smoke ——still loving it!

IMG_2312.jpeg

Reactions: mike243
Other than wifi flaking out once, there’s nothing I’m unhappy about. Since an update it’s been solid. It’s easy to clean, holds temps as well as my friend ‘s Traeger and love the wifi aspect of always being able to check “the smoke”
Btw I was at Rural king on Saturday and they had a wifi pit boss on sale….. I swear it matched the Oakford to a “T” . I wonder if they’re made in the same factory?
Anyway, this was from my recent smoke ——still loving it!

View attachment 681472
Mike, thank you for getting back so soon! That's all I needed to hear. Ordering it from Home Depot today! $386 plus I get a 10% US Navy discount. I'm sure I can assemble it.

Where are you getting your recipes and cooking guides from? (Always learning)

Reactions: mikelets456
Mike, thank you for getting back so soon! That's all I needed to hear. Ordering it from Home Depot today! $386 plus I get a 10% US Navy discount. I'm sure I can assemble it.

Congratulations!!! You’ll love it. Most recipe ideas

Where are you getting your recipes and cooking guides from? (Always learning

Congratulations!! That’s a great price. Have you ever smoked anything before? I got recipes here and there but learned the hard way using an old fashioned “Rocky Mountain “ smoker. I learned the hard way.

If you’re not familiar with smoking easy meats to start with are pork’s and dark chicken. Ribs are one of my favorites and easy…. Look up how to make a Memphis pork rub or basic pork rub. Liberally apply the night before and wrap in cling wrap. Cook 5 hours at 235 and check in between the ribs for 196-203 f for a finished temp. Then the last 15 minutes you could add a “hot honey” (brush on) then take off to cool. Pork should is easy as well but takes longer. I learned a trick with pork shoulder…smoke at 225 for 5 hours (used Memphis rub) then cook in crock pot over night. It’s amazing and saves a lot of time. People love it!!
Good luck

Congratulations!!! You’ll love it. Most recipe ideas

Congratulations!! That’s a great price. Have you ever smoked anything before? I got recipes here and there but learned the hard way using an old fashioned “Rocky Mountain “ smoker. I learned the hard way.

If you’re not familiar with smoking easy meats to start with are pork’s and dark chicken. Ribs are one of my favorites and easy…. Look up how to make a Memphis pork rub or basic pork rub. Liberally apply the night before and wrap in cling wrap. Cook 5 hours at 235 and check in between the ribs for 196-203 f for a finished temp. Then the last 15 minutes you could add a “hot honey” (brush on) then take off to cool. Pork should is easy as well but takes longer. I learned a trick with pork shoulder…smoke at 225 for 5 hours (used Memphis rub) then cook in crock pot over night. It’s amazing and saves a lot of time. People love it!!
Good luck

Mike, I have not smoked anything yet, but love learning. I will look up those up. Anything wrong with smoking at lower than 235 to get more smoke?

Next question is where to get best meats (ribs, brisket, pork)? Have a Sam's Club nearby.

Mike, I have not smoked anything yet, but love learning. I will look up those up. Anything wrong with smoking at lower than 235 to get more smoke?

Next question is where to get best meats (ribs, brisket, pork)? Have a Sam's Club nearby.
I like 235 basically cuts down cooking time. 225 is good too..

I really like ribs and pork from Costco or BJs.

Reactions: ChasP
I like 235 basically cuts down cooking time. 225 is good too..

I really like ribs and pork from Costco or BJs.
Sounds great. I noticed negative comments in the iPhone app store on the NexGrill app not allowing changes, disconnecting, etc. Have you noticed significant problems with it? They may have done an update since some of those comments.

Sounds great. I noticed negative comments in the iPhone app store on the NexGrill app not allowing changes, disconnecting, etc. Have you noticed significant problems with it? They may have done an update since some of those comments.
I have an iPhone and no such problems.

Reactions: ChasP

Mike, I received the Oakford 790 today and loved how well it was boxed, no damage or missing parts. I also appreciated how easily all the screws lined up and the quality of this smoker. Everything went together and was easy to setup with the iphone app.

Will season it as directed tomorrow. Buying some organic chickens, babyback ribs, and pork butt at Sam's Club tomorrow. Really excited.

Reactions: mikelets456

Mike, I finished the 400F 45min seasoning just fine. One question I had is I noticed the burned pellet dust also inside the bottom, not just in the heating pot. Wondering if that also collects on the food while cooking? Using Traegar Signature pellets to start out.

Also I noticed when setting either the 400 temp, or trying a setting of 225 and choosing "smoke" option, that it would switch to "grill" setting even at that lower temp. How is that "smoke" setting used, and do you mainly see more smoke at the lower temp? I read in the directions that is is maybe an automatic 225F setting when you choose smoke, but wondering if you need that vs. just selecting the temp in grill mode?
Thanks!

You're overthinking some of this. Some ash is going to find its way onto the food whether you're cooking on a pellet, offset, kettle, etc. It's the nature of cooking with wood.

As far maximizing smoke, pellet grills in general make more smoke at lower temps. The higher the temp you're running, the less smoke you're going to get. I always run my Camp Chef at 160° for the first part of the smoke to maximize smoke on cooks unless it's a quick cook.

Reactions: Nefarious
Mike, I finished the 400F 45min seasoning just fine. One question I had is I noticed the burned pellet dust also inside the bottom, not just in the heating pot. Wondering if that also collects on the food while cooking? Using Traegar Signature pellets to start out.

Also I noticed when setting either the 400 temp, or trying a setting of 225 and choosing "smoke" option, that it would switch to "grill" setting even at that lower temp. How is that "smoke" setting used, and do you mainly see more smoke at the lower temp? I read in the directions that is is maybe an automatic 225F setting when you choose smoke, but wondering if you need that vs. just selecting the temp in grill mode?
Thanks!
A few things to note. I have never had pellet dust in any of the food. When I flavored the grill I didn’t notice it either. One thing, I clean the grill after two smokes…I change the tinfoil on the drip pan, use a grill brush on the grates and then bought a cheap 1.5 gallon wet/dry vac ($15) to vacuum out the firing chamber and underneath the drip pan. …that’s where pellet dust builds up. I have a friend with a pit Boss and a nephew with a Traeger and both have the exact dust in similar locations.

I use Pit Boss competition blend and got a few 40 lb bags at Lowe’s for $15 each.

You're overthinking some of this. Some ash is going to find its way onto the food whether you're cooking on a pellet, offset, kettle, etc. It's the nature of cooking with wood.

As far maximizing smoke, pellet grills in general make more smoke at lower temps. The higher the temp you're running, the less smoke you're going to get. I always run my Camp Chef at 160° for the first part of the smoke to maximize smoke on cooks unless it's a quick cook.

Thank you! I have yet to do my first cook, so would rather ask early on what may seem like stupid questions.

A few things to note. I have never had pellet dust in any of the food. When I flavored the grill I didn’t notice it either. One thing, I clean the grill after two smokes…I change the tinfoil on the drip pan, use a grill brush on the grates and then bought a cheap 1.5 gallon wet/dry vac ($15) to vacuum out the firing chamber and underneath the drip pan. …that’s where pellet dust builds up. I have a friend with a pit Boss and a nephew with a Traeger and both have the exact dust in similar locations.

I use Pit Boss competition blend and got a few 40 lb bags at Lowe’s for $15 each.
Ok great. Yeah the dust was mainly in the firing chamber and under the drip pan, but unlike gas grills this has the blower fan to regulate the temp which likely stirs up the ashes a bit more.

I think he was meaning ash from the burn pot. If you have a burn pot making ash with a fan blowing over it, some will end up in the cook chamber is all I was saying.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky