Entry level pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TexSons4

Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
Hello-
Long time lurker, first time poster here. Looking to get my 77 year old father a pellet smoker and would appreciate any recommendations. Criteria below:
* price range up to $500
* he lives by himself and is highly unlikely to cook for others, capacity is not a concern, just need room for brisket and a smoke tube
* do not need wifi, simpler the better
* ability to grill/sear would be helpful
* large enough hopper would be good so he doesn't have to tend it much

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Welcome to the forum from Mississippi. Check out this. Rectec has a pretty good following on here.

Jim

Reactions: mace and jcam222
Greetings and welcome to the group from New Mexico.

RecTeq's are a good pellet grill.
However, the low end RecTeq pellet grills only have a 14-15lb hopper.
You would not be able to do a brisket or a pork shoulder at normal low and slow temps without having to refill the hopper.

If your wallet can afford it, the RT-590 is on sale right now for $675. Regularly $899.
It has a 30lb hopper. That would handle pretty much any cook.
RT-590

FYI - I don't own a RecTeq, just know of their reputation.

Welcome to the forum from Mississippi. Check out this. Rectec has a pretty good following on here.

Jim
Nice Jim, I never gave this one a look. This looks to be the one that could replace both a gasser and a smoker.....hmmmmm. Anyone here have this one?

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice Jim, I never gave this one a look. This looks to be the one that could replace both a gasser and a smoker.....hmmmmm. Anyone here have this one?
I know..... I'm thinking about it for my dad. His gasser is gasping its last. Reviews look good. But I'm like you...Someone on here with a real hands on use. And the hopper is kinda small. But he doesnt do a lot of long cooks. Mostly burgers and steaks type stuff.

Jim

Reactions: clifish
I have the older RT 340 its a very good pellet cooker. The new version has folding legs. I was on another forum devoted to recteq the 380s are not well liked for smoking they are more suited to high heat for grilling and pizza etc.

Reactions: clifish
I've never had a pit b, It does not have a PID controller, in my experience you get what you pay for. I hope some Pit Boss owners chime in.

Been running my pb Austin LX for 6+ years without any problems hold temps well would buy another without any problem

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks like an older style PitBoss with the old controller which I do NOT like - I’ve replaced mine several times. For that $$ you can get a new style that’s better all around.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
I have the short lived Masterbuilt pellet grill and the controller is basically a clone of the older style PitBoss. It requires a lot of patience to keep the temps.

I would recommend a Z Grill 450B with a PiD controller.

So do you own a Z grill?
I don't but it is what I would purchase if a first time buyer.
Friend's son has a few year old model and it is built well and grills and smokes well.
Now that they went with a PiD controller and sub $500 almost a no brainer for entry level.

Been running my pb Austin LX for 6+ years without any problems hold temps well would buy another without any problem
SiL has a re-branded Cabelas that is basically a PB Austin with a glass door.
To say it is not a quality unit is a gross understatement.
2 controllers and an auger motor replaced under warranty. Breaks the auger bolt pretty frequently. The only reason I can figure out is the auger motor is not aligned with the auger.

I've not seen anybody posting about a Zgrill in a long time, I know rural king was carrying a couple but haven't seen any in awhile. My sister inlaw has a small PB probably about as small as you can get without being a table top, they use it often for grilling mostly, I learned a long time ago a high heat chicken cooking doesn't work well with 30lbs on lol I have only cooked on 2 pellet smokers and ate food off 1 more, all have been PB. Wanted a RT but for the $$ I'm not sure I would have been happier,

I have done overnight cook on the Recteq 340. There were plenty of pellets left in the hopper. That grill would be perfect for your dad.

Hello-
Long time lurker, first time poster here. Looking to get my 77 year old father a pellet smoker and would appreciate any recommendations. Criteria below:
* price range up to $500
* he lives by himself and is highly unlikely to cook for others, capacity is not a concern, just need room for brisket and a smoke tube
* do not need wifi, simpler the better
* ability to grill/sear would be helpful
* large enough hopper would be good so he doesn't have to tend it much

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I'm also a new member, and although many recommended the ReqTech, I just purchased the NexGrill Oakford 790 and put it together easily last night. Finished seasoning it today. It is actually pretty high quality at a lower price than many. With my military discount, I only paid $386 + tax. Mike talked about it here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/oakford-790-pellet-smoker.322687/

Reactions: Fueling Around
where are yall finding the recteq rt-590 for sale? I can't find it anywhere but on Amazon way overpriced. They are selling the Deckboss everywhere.

I have had the GMG Daniel Boone for 4 years. Love this grill, but have had to replace the wifi controller twice. Their customer support has gone downhill, and the last issue ruined my thanksgiving dinner , and threatens to ruin Christmas dinner too.

Yall convinced me to get an RT-590 but I can't find it anywhere online. Would love a link to a good price for it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky