My smoker and intro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I went for this one which has directional louvres so thinking that could help send the heat and smoke the right way too
IMG_3869.png

Final design. Gonna use both that vent and a cookie tray at an angle, which can act as a deflector and also a drip tray, and then fit a drain too. You can tell im on holiday wishing I was home tinkering can’t you…

IMG_3839.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DemonPit
Cool looking smoker. I've built a few of my own but they have all been cabinet smokers.

I was reading through this and planned to suggest sloping the deflector plate from low right to high left but it appears as though you figured that out. Should make a HUGE difference getting that plate installed.

Robert....from Central Texas, USA

Reactions: Tommie_a
Cool looking smoker. I've built a few of my own but they have all been cabinet smokers.

I was reading through this and planned to suggest sloping the deflector plate from low right to high left but it appears as though you figured that out. Should make a HUGE difference getting that plate installed.

Thanks so much Robert 👌🏻

Would you suggest some small holes in the plate to allow a little heat/smoke through to the underside of the meat? I’d never really heard of baffles till you guys mentioned them, been doing some reading since and noticed some have holes in them. I suppose worst case, if there is substantial space between the top of plate and grill, some will find its way there anyway… Thanks

Welcome to the site, put another stack on the left side, that way you can adjust each stack in case you have different thickness of meats, no need to swap anything around

Follow my advice with the caveat that I am no expert...But what you posted might very well work. And at worst you out 21 pds.

Jim

Welcome to the site, put another stack on the left side, that way you can adjust each stack in case you have different thickness of meats, no need to swap anything around

Another good shout, thanks Mike! Will have a play with the tray and vent idea quickly and then may well add another stack in the future anyway to cover all options 😎

Follow my advice with the caveat that I am no expert...But what you posted might very well work. And at worst you out 21 pds.

Jim

Thanks again Jim

I’ve never had such a friendly welcome from any forum, and I’ve been on a few…so thanks to all 💪

(maybe that’s just saying something about electricians and car clubs though 🤣)

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Only thing missing is a beer pole!
Man Ryan, I wish you had not said that. Now you got me wanting to make one for him but shipping over the pond would be painful. It appears though that he could make his own. Yo Tommie...here is a thread on a beer pole I fabricated for a forum member here. It wound up going WAY further than I expected but it was a fun project and this is a fun thread....long but fun.

Would you suggest some small holes in the plate to allow a little heat/smoke through to the underside of the meat?
If you're planning to use it as a traditional offset then yes. I'd drill a series of holes starting small closer to the fire box and getting larger the further away from the fire box you get. If you're going to use it as a reverse flow unit, then no, don't drill the holes. Another option would be to create a T-Pit. I used to have one and it was incredible!! Move the stack to the rear center. Build a heavy-duty deflector plate 4 to 5 inches shorter than the inside of the cook chamber. Place it in the center of the CC level (no slope) and you'll create a smoker that is reverse flow from both ends. Perfectly balanced temps left to right and top to bottom. Please....trust me on this. It is a simple but amazingly efficient design. You will also have the flexibility of moving the deflector plate one way or another if you want to create two different cooking zones with different temps. Damp down one end for lower temps and that will open the other end for higher temps. I was able to run 230* on one end for ribs and 275* on the other end for briskets. Pics and links available upon request.
I’ve never had such a friendly welcome from any forum, and I’ve been on a few…so thanks to all
Welcome Tommie. This is what we are all about. A lot of us know each other and have for a long time so we share jokes, know about each other's families, cookers, preferences, pets, cook styles, and so on. Please don't let that lead you to think we are a bunch of elitists. We are not....not at all. We're just a bunch of friends that have gained a familiarity with one another. Please don't hesitate to jump into the fracas :emoji_laughing:
Well we do try to help! And you do have a good looking cooker.
Uh oh Tommie. You best watch out for this guy. He is an elite member of a super secret group here called the Exalted Order Of The Enablers. In no time he'll have you spending money hand over fist loading up on all sorts of things you never thought you needed. He will however convince you that you'll not be able to function without these items so therefore MUST spend the $$ to get them. Jim is dangerous...be afraid Tommie, very afraid :emoji_laughing:

Bianca's dad signing out,
Robert

Man Ryan, I wish you had not said that. Now you got me wanting to make one for him but shipping over the pond would be painful. It appears though that he could make his own. Yo Tommie...here is a thread on a beer pole I fabricated for a forum member here. It wound up going WAY further than I expected but it was a fun project and this is a fun thread....long but fun.

If you're planning to use it as a traditional offset then yes. I'd drill a series of holes starting small closer to the fire box and getting larger the further away from the fire box you get. If you're going to use it as a reverse flow unit, then no, don't drill the holes. Another option would be to create a T-Pit. I used to have one and it was incredible!! Move the stack to the rear center. Build a heavy-duty deflector plate 4 to 5 inches shorter than the inside of the cook chamber. Place it in the center of the CC level (no slope) and you'll create a smoker that is reverse flow from both ends. Perfectly balanced temps left to right and top to bottom. Please....trust me on this. It is a simple but amazingly efficient design. You will also have the flexibility of moving the deflector plate one way or another if you want to create two different cooking zones with different temps. Damp down one end for lower temps and that will open the other end for higher temps. I was able to run 230* on one end for ribs and 275* on the other end for briskets. Pics and links available upon request.

Welcome Tommie. This is what we are all about. A lot of us know each other and have for a long time so we share jokes, know about each other's families, cookers, preferences, pets, cook styles, and so on. Please don't let that lead you to think we are a bunch of elitists. We are not....not at all. We're just a bunch of friends that have gained a familiarity with one another. Please don't hesitate to jump into the fracas :emoji_laughing:

Uh oh Tommie. You best watch out for this guy. He is an elite member of a super secret group here called the Exalted Order Of The Enablers. In no time he'll have you spending money hand over fist loading up on all sorts of things you never thought you needed. He will however convince you that you'll not be able to function without these items so therefore MUST spend the $$ to get them. Jim is dangerous...be afraid Tommie, very afraid :emoji_laughing:

Bianca's dad signing out,
Robert

Haha, beer pole what a great idea, for the man that has everything right?? When the beer pole was mentioned earlier, I confess I went to google as I hadn’t heard of one, assumed it was just a bolt on the side beer holster (was wondering how that wouldn’t result in a very warm beer 😆). Looks awesome man!

The T pit idea sounds awesome and for my kind of firebox entry (central bottom), potentially the best idea for my set up.

I’m gonna try the reverse flow idea first with some cooking plates, (maybe even make some tuning plates) just because the stacks already where it is, and then I reckon I’ll end up moving the stack when I get some time and creating the T pit

Man I wish I was more confident with the welder, mines held together with ducting spigots (de-galvanised btw), pop rivets and fire cement… it works but learning how to weld would make things like moving the stack and blanking off the current hole so much easier… the only welding on mine is the lips on the door, which were ugly as hell but on the reverse side and after some buffing didn’t end up too bad.

I was about ready to cook on this but now i think I’m going back to the drawing board with a few things 😅 don’t wanna be out there stressing worrying about temp discrepancy for hours but i suppose that’s all part of the fun isn’t it!

Thanks again guys

If I can add my two cents with. I would just go with the “reverse” flow deflector plate and drain vs the little hook thing. That will add a lot of losses. The other thing you could add is just a water/drip pan over the hole. That chamber is small enough not much will be needed. PS I have built a reverse flow that dice before….it’s and awesome little cooler

Haha, beer pole what a great idea, for the man that has everything right?? When the beer pole was mentioned earlier, I confess I went to google as I hadn’t heard of one, assumed it was just a bolt on the side beer holster (was wondering how that wouldn’t result in a very warm beer 😆). Looks awesome man!

The T pit idea sounds awesome and for my kind of firebox entry (central bottom), potentially the best idea for my set up.

I’m gonna try the reverse flow idea first with some cooking plates, (maybe even make some tuning plates) just because the stacks already where it is, and then I reckon I’ll end up moving the stack when I get some time and creating the T pit

Man I wish I was more confident with the welder, mines held together with ducting spigots (de-galvanised btw), pop rivets and fire cement… it works but learning how to weld would make things like moving the stack and blanking off the current hole so much easier… the only welding on mine is the lips on the door, which were ugly as hell but on the reverse side and after some buffing didn’t end up too bad.

I was about ready to cook on this but now i think I’m going back to the drawing board with a few things 😅 don’t wanna be out there stressing worrying about temp discrepancy for hours but i suppose that’s all part of the fun isn’t it!

Thanks again guys
By goodness fellas.... did you hear that??? This guy needs a welder!!!

Ryan

Welding well, here are a couple things to think about….. as my son put it as I was teaching him “oh it’s just like practicing cursive writing”. Next (realize that all good welders do this) is you always practice on a similar piece prior to the actual weld session….. as a new welder get a scrap piece and “run lines” to practice and to get the welder adjusted so it’s smooth (it shouldn't sound snappy like popcorn but like a semi smooth electrical buzz). Before each line practice draw the path with the tip so your hands and muscles “know what to do”. Next CLEAN (grind, sand , or wire brush) your welding area….a rusty dirty area is difficult and results in bad welds. For a wire welder, the next trick is make sure your tip is clean and “snap” off a short section of the wire for each start. This helps with instant welding and not the wire coming out and pushing the tip funny cause it doesn’t make contact because of flux over a wire from the previous weld. Lastly is get a self darkening helmet that is adjustable for darkness…..they are a WONDER!

Oh bonus tip, don’t buy cheap welding wire…..My welder happens to love Lincoln Electric inner shield NR211MP. It is designed for thinner steel as well as up to 5/16th - 1/2” thick and in all positions…..(ie vertical and upside down)

If I can add my two cents with. I would just go with the “reverse” flow deflector plate and drain vs the little hook thing. That will add a lot of losses. The other thing you could add is just a water/drip pan over the hole. That chamber is small enough not much will be needed. PS I have built a reverse flow that dice before….it’s and awesome little cooler

Yeah been reading and the vent/hook thing seems a bad idea as I actually want some direct heat hitting the bottom of the deflector plate right?

I may do as you say, just have a large water pan maybe 100mm above the hole, pushed more over to the right hand side, that would create a drip pan, water pan and kind of reverse flow all in one eh.

Welding well, here are a couple things to think about….. as my son put it as I was teaching him “oh it’s just like practicing cursive writing”. Next (realize that all good welders do this) is you always practice on a similar piece prior to the actual weld session….. as a new welder get a scrap piece and “run lines” to practice and to get the welder adjusted so it’s smooth (it shouldn't sound snappy like popcorn but like a semi smooth electrical buzz). Before each line practice draw the path with the tip so your hands and muscles “know what to do”. Next CLEAN (grind, sand , or wire brush) your welding area….a rusty dirty area is difficult and results in bad welds. For a wire welder, the next trick is make sure your tip is clean and “snap” off a short section of the wire for each start. This helps with instant welding and not the wire coming out and pushing the tip funny cause it doesn’t make contact because of flux over a wire from the previous weld. Lastly is get a self darkening helmet that is adjustable for darkness…..they are a WONDER!

Oh bonus tip, don’t buy cheap welding wire…..My welder happens to love Lincoln Electric inner shield NR211MP. It is designed for thinner steel as well as up to 5/16th - 1/2” thick and in all positions…..(ie vertical and upside down)

Thanks for this. I’m a tinkerer, I’m always working on something, so learning how to weld is inevitable. I’ve been selfishly working on the smoker recently though under the ever watchful eye of “her indoors…”

I’m getting orders hinted about finishing off the decorating inside now, so welding may have to be put off for a few weeks. Happy wife happy life eh… 😅

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky