Most Epic Brisket Ever (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
This seems to be the week of folks doing their best brisket ever. Apparently Randy ( texomakid texomakid ) nailed one the other day and it looks fantastic!! Congrats Randy. Had a bit of a chat in a different thread that involved some of the SMF staff about creating a new sub-forum and there was mention made by me that BBQ (smoking meat) was the root of the forum. I've done some interesting stuff recently but it's time to get back to out roots :emoji_wink: This started last week. I said something to Tracy about it being time to get some friends together and put on a nice dinner. Told her I was gonna reach out to them and give some options for them to vote on as to what the meal would consist of. Here is how the dialog went between Tracy and I:
Tracy: What options?
Me: Brisket
Tracy: Brisket
Me: Prime rib
Me Tomahawk rib eyes
Now I don't claim to be the brightest person on the planet but I was kinda thinking that maybe she wants brisket. I do know that it's one of her absolute favorite things I make, so I guess we're doing brisket. Some of you may remember that massive stack of Certified Piedmontese Briskets on my kitchen island not too long ago. Finally time to cook one. Doesn't break my heart a bit!!

Brisket, fat cap up before trimming
003.jpg

Lean side
005.jpg

A generous dose of my beef rub. Wrap in foil and into the fridge. This is Thursday afternoon
006.jpg

Fast forward to 4:00 Saturday morning. Onto the Rec Tec
06.jpg

Made a batch of Greek yogurt ranch dressing for the slaw. I believe this was originally posted by John SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan last Spring. It is amazing!!
07.jpg

Got some bacon going for the mac & cheese
08.jpg

Cut up some jalapenos, also for the mac & cheese
09.jpg

Bacon done
10.jpg

Get the cheese sauce going for the mac & cheese
11.jpg

Cheese sauce ready
012.jpg

Boil the macaroni, mix the cheese sauce into it, then add the bacon and jalapenos
013.jpg

Into a baking dish to go onto the Rec Tec later
014.jpg

Brisket coming along nicely. At this point I put in in a baking pan, put in some broth/gravy, and covered with foil
016.jpg

Done. Into the house and wrap for a couple hour rest in the cooler
018.jpg

This is the gravy and drippings from the brisket. Will use this ILO of BBQ sauce. It is SO good!!
020.jpg

Time to get crazy on you all. This is a brie that was lightly warmed in the oven
021.jpg

This is where we really get crazy. Top with warmed bacon jam. Crazy yes, but insanely good served on club crackers!! Bacon jam came by way of Steve Steve H Steve H and it's out of this world!!
22.jpg

Here is the appetizer spread. Veggie plate with dip, the brie with bacon jam, a tub of purple cauliflower that one of our guests grew, and come crackers
023.jpg

Add more of the three different cheeses to the mac & cheese, ready to go on the Rec Tec
025.jpg

And we're off!!
026.jpg

Mix the dressing into the slaw
027.jpg

Unwrap the brisket and ready to slice. Look!! A real beer :emoji_wink: Nothing "light" about this one. It's a home brewed English Brown Ale
029.jpg

Brisket sliced. OMG!! This looks amazing...Just beautiful. Gorgeous smoke ring and very moist with lots of juiciness
030.jpg

The whole dinner spread. Only a few items but all were prepared with love :emoji_laughing:
031.jpg

My first of a few plates of dinner
034.jpg

This is what it's all about!!
036.jpg

Dessert was lemon squares made by one of our guests from lemons he grew himself on a tree that he's been nurturing for years
039.jpg

Rick performing his mandatory post dinner concert. Here he is doing "We Don't Get Fooled Again" by The Who
043.jpg

Well folks, this was all so good. Typically there is one component that stands out as the star of the show. Not this time. Everything was just amazing. I couldn't have been happier. I've done every grade of brisket up to and including Wagyu but the flavor of this CPB beat them all hands down. I've had a few that were a bit more tender but not as flavorful. The slaw was just off the charts. When I saw this posted it was as a salad dressing but my first thought was that it'd make a great dressing for slaw. The mac & cheese was made with heavy cream, extra sharp cheddar, Pecorino Romano, and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses. They all came together to create a flavor that I've never experienced in mac & cheese before. Most folks went back for seconds of the brisket but to a person, everybody went back for seconds of the slaw and mac & cheese. They all wanted the recipes for both. I've never been a big fan of slaw, but up till a couple years ago all that I'd had was commercially made. Decided one day that I wanted slaw but was going to make it my own, not some rendition of somebody else's. Put together my own recipe and we really liked it. Then this one came up and I threw the other one away. This is hands-down one of my favorite things in the world. The brie with the bacon jam was spectacular. Folks tore into that like a bunch of sharks on a feeding frenzy. I wound up having to warm up more bacon jam so folks could put that on crackers. It's great that way also but the addition of the brie is indescribable. I've actually been dreaming of doing this since the day I made the bacon jam. This was just the first opportunity and I took advantage of it. All in all a really good dinner.

Oh well....I've taken enough of your time and it's time to run to my little pub for a couple of pre-Superbowl adult libations. See y'all on the next one!!

Robert

good food, good friends and good times, what a way to spend a day. everything looks great Robert!!

Looks fabulous Robert, That has to be one of the finest spreads posted in a while.

Point for sure
Chris

Tell Rick, he reminded me of Kwai Chang Caine upon first glance with longer hair.

Robert I think I would just call that GOOD BBQ! Since good BBQ is all the above!!

man I wish we could see the sun like that!!! Just way too many gray days this winter!

Last edited:
Great post, what a feast! You have put alot of effort into creating the ultimate meal. That brisket looks amazing.

Brisket, Home Brewed Ale and Steve H Steve H bacon Jam cannot beat that hands down.

That's living life and enjoying it with friends. Perfect in every respect.

Another one I can't argue with. Totally agree. Bringing friends together with good food and excellent company. No better way to spend a day.

Robert

good food, good friends and good times, what a way to spend a day. everything looks great Robert!!

Absolutely agree. Nothing better than some tasty food and the company of your best friends. We kept the guest list small for this one. Sometimes it's great to do a big gathering but you lose that personal aspect of spending quality time with everybody versus spreading the time out with a lot of people.

Thank you Jim!!
Robert

Reactions: smokerjim
Looks fabulous Robert, That has to be one of the finest spreads posted in a while.

Wow...I don't know what to say Chris except thank you. It was not nearly as elaborate as some I've done but the quality was certainly there. Everything came out really well.

Robert

Robert I think I would just call that GOOD BBQ! Since good BBQ is all the above!!

man I which we could see the sun like that!!! Just way too many gray days this winter!

Thanks so much civil. We were blessed with an absolutely gorgeous day and it couldn't have come at a better time. Clear skies, lots of sunshine, a light southerly breeze, and 80 degree temps. We couldn't have asked for anything better.

Robert

• Love
Reactions: civilsmoker
Great post, what a feast! You have put alot of effort into creating the ultimate meal. That brisket looks amazing.

Brisket, Home Brewed Ale and @Steve H bacon Jam cannot beat that hands down.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the accolades. This is another one that is a testament to the great folks here in SMF. The beer I've been making since long before finding the forum but the rest of it was inspired by my time here. That bacon jam is so far off the charts, I can't even begin to describe it. It will forever be a staple around here. Next time Tracy goes out of town I'm gonna do some shrimp and grits with bacon jam. Gawd!! I can't help but think that would be amazing. Might even do some chicken and waffles....hmmmm now the cogs are turning

Robert

Tell Rick, he reminded me of Kwai Chang Caine upon first glance with longer hair

Hey Chris...Rick is the quintessential late 60's / early 70's hippie. One big difference is that he is highly educated and very successful. Hid brain is wrapped around that era though and he just can't let it go. His whole life has been steeped in that environment but he's had to keep it under wraps due to the professionalism required in his chosen career. He tried to retire for about 10 years but they kept upping the ante to get him to stay on. Finally a couple of years ago he decided what good is all the money if I don't have time to enjoy it? He told them to keep their money and threw in the towel. Since then he has a dedicated music room in the house and he spends him time tending his garden and playing guitar. The purple cauliflower he grew and he's quite an accomplished guitar player. It's always a pleasure to sit back and him bring the 60's and 70's back to life through his music.

You need to be here in Summer for a poolside concert....
Robert

Hey Chris...Rick is the quintessential late 60's / early 70's hippie. One big difference is that he is highly educated and very successful. Hid brain is wrapped around that era though and he just can't let it go. His whole life has been steeped in that environment but he's had to keep it under wraps due to the professionalism required in his chosen career. He tried to retire for about 10 years but they kept upping the ante to get him to stay on. Finally a couple of years ago he decided what good is all the money if I don't have time to enjoy it? He told them to keep their money and threw in the towel. Since then he has a dedicated music room in the house and he spends him time tending his garden and playing guitar. The purple cauliflower he grew and he's quite an accomplished guitar player. It's always a pleasure to sit back and him bring the 60's and 70's back to life through his music.

You need to be here in Summer for a poolside concert....
Robert

It was just an observation when I first saw the pic. Wasn't meant to be an insult or anything.

Chris

"It was just an observation when I first saw the pic. Wasn't meant to be an insult or anything. "

Was not taken as an insult in any way. Fret not sir. No offense taken at all. I just wanted to give you a bit of history on one of our closest friends, especially being that he has a way of showing up at almost all of our gatherings :emoji_wink: I do however agree with your assessment. Never really thought about it until you made mention of the resemblance.

Patience grasshopper...
Robert

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky