Meat Prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamafan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 4, 2008
Crestview Fl
Are the meat prices going up every where around the country? Boston butts were 1.08 a pound here on Eglin 5 days ago. 2 days ago 1.38. Today 1.48. Hope this doesn't continue.
icon_frown.gif

I just picked up an 8 pound butt for .89 a pound.

I just went to Sam's here in Jacksonville and the prices were:
butts 1. 68lb
hams 1.89lb
spares 1.87lb
BB 2.67lb
loins 1.86lb

Yep! Just talked to my old boss who raises his own cattle and hogs and has a retail butchershop, he says meat futures for june july dont look good for the retail consumer. Things are going up!
Well he didn't promise us a good change....he just promised us
CHANGE!!!

Thanks Alabama-bamarama!

SOB

Here in central OK we do not have Sams or anything, just China Mart. I feel the prices are regional, with the larger population centers getting the most competition, hence lower prices.We could travel to Wichita or OK city but the expense would eat up any savings (unless you are buying hundreds of Lbs of meat which I never do) so you guys in those areas are getting better deals. I love large shrimp, but here jumbo prawns are $19.99 lb. Which is cheaper than ordering online (not that we eat them often) Another source of meat is game but I no longer hunt.
It will only go higher & get worse. I remember (old crock story) my dad lamenting spending $20.00 for week's grocerys to feed all four of us (and $4.00 a fifth for workin-class-whiskey)

Sorry for going long/ old fart tales I am so old!

Seasonal price hikes aka supply and demand. Going into BBQ season, country style and regular ribs, chickens and chxparts, steaks and burgers, thick cut chops, etc. Add to that greater costs for shipping grain and carcasses and bingo, price hikes!

I heard that since a political figure is pushing ethanol again we can expect meat prices to jump about 30%

I checked out Wally World yesterday and the darn Briskets have jumped from thier usual $1.86/lb. to $2.09
icon_mad.gif

Guess it's time to "re-call" our inglorious Leader
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

Opps! Sorry,no politics.....
icon_redface.gif

I talked to a meat wholesale place here and they said that they are high now but coming down a bit. I do expect the rise to continue though. But I will stock up when I can.

its gettin close to full blown bbq season here in mich but the prices
are about the same yet what ive noticed is one week a store will have a deal on sumthin then the next week another store will its a gimmick just like oil prices and gas in the winter imop
tongue.gif

i went there tonite here in central ohio to buy a flat and brisket was $4.97 lb. they ranged anywhere from $23 to $47....so got a corn beef brisket, gonna try my hand at pastrami

Prices are going up because the ranchers are trying to recoup the money they lost a year or two ago with the high grain prices and fuel costs. They incured a tremendous amount of debt. They are raising less livestock now than in the past. Pretty much a supply and demand deal. Since meat purchasing is my field of work I can say that the outlook for this summer is not looking good right now. Beef is already up and pork is not too far behind it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky