Pork butt prices and quality

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron50

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2007
FL
It's been a while since I have shopped for pork butts. Last time I did I live in New York where the prices were high and the choices were few.
Now that we are in Florida I'm happy that pretty much anywhere they sell meat they sells butts.

I wen't shopping today and checked out a couple places.

Costco: Price was about $2 a pound. They only have boneless. Swift brand. 2 butts in a package around 7 lbs each. I've read that the Costco boneless butt are almost butterflied when you get them out of the package.

Walmart: Price for bone in was $2.44 a pound. Smithfield Brand. 7-9 lbs each.

Publix: $3.44 a pound for bone in, $4.29 a pound for boneless. Largest size I could find was 4 1/2 pounds. Most were less than 4 lbs. Almost like they took a regular sized butt and cut them in half.

I've read various things about the quality of Smithfield and Swift Products. From low quality to very good. I use to buy the BB ribs from Costco years ago (I think they were Swift) and we really enjoyed them.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about the various brands. Thanks.

I refuse to buy Smithfield, very random quality and pretty much last resort meat. Swift is better, at least decent. When I can I buy from companies, farmers, butchers that have heritage breed pork, I do that. Mostly at the store is Swift, screw Smithfield.

Reactions: ron50 and DougE
I was reading Whole Foods uses Thompson Farms in Georgia as their supplier. A lot more expensive but I guess the quality is better.

It's been a while since I have shopped for pork butts. Last time I did I live in New York where the prices were high and the choices were few.
Now that we are in Florida I'm happy that pretty much anywhere they sell meat they sells butts.

Costco: Price was about $2 a pound. They only have boneless. Swift brand. 2 butts in a package around 7 lbs each. I've read that the Costco boneless butt are almost butterflied when you get them out of the package.
Costco boneless are pretty much butterflies that open like a jigsaw puzzle.
But that's just more room for rub.
Then truss that SOB up tight and it'll cook more evenly.
See several of my threads.
About same here, quality varies.
Publix: $3.44 a pound for bone in, $4.29 a pound for boneless. Largest size I could find was 4 1/2 pounds. Most were less than 4 lbs. Almost like they took a regular sized butt and cut them in half.
Yep, cut in half, and over priced.
I've read various things about the quality of Smithfield and Swift Products. From low quality to very good. I use to buy the BB ribs from Costco years ago (I think they were Swift) and we really enjoyed them.

Doesn't seem to matter which processor or where I buy them the quality varies.
Gotta look at that meats fat content, color, cut, size and try to make a semi educated guess.

Last edited:
Costco boneless are pretty much butterflies open like a jigsaw puzzle.
But that just more room for rub.

About same here, quality varies.

Yep, cut in half, and over priced.

Doesn't seem to matter which processor or where I buy them the quality varies.
Gotta look at that meats fat content, color, cut, size and try to make a semi educated guess.
Thanks John. Yeah the Publix ones are overpriced but the smaller size is appealing for a shorter cook. But then I guess they are exposed to less time in the smoke. Do the Costco butt's cook any quicker since they are butterflied or does trussing them back together negate that?

Reactions: chilerelleno
Do you have a GFS (Gordons Food Services) near you? They (Swift) are usually around $1.49/69 a lb there...
I was about to say no but I googled it and yes I do, about 30 mins away. I will give them a look. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks John. Yeah the Publix ones are overpriced but the smaller size is appealing for a shorter cook. But then I guess they are exposed to less time in the smoke. Do the Costco butt's cook any quicker since they are butterflied or does trussing them back together negate that?
IME, if they're not carefully reassembled and tied tightly they do indeed cook quicker and very unevenly.
They're great for cutting up for other uses, e.g. Carnitas, Chiles, Posole, Guisado, Stir Fry and anything else using fist sized or smaller chunks of pork.

IME, if they're not carefully reassembled and tied tightly they do indeed cook quicker and very unevenly.
They're great for cutting up for other uses, e.g. Carnitas, Chiles, Posole, Guisado, Stir Fry and anything else using fist sized or smaller chunks of pork.
Yeah that was my concern.

If I want pulled pork or Carnitas or etc, I separate the (for lack of better terms) butterflied Costco shoulders into smaller or larger pieces.
Most of my boneless butt goes in the grinder for sausage and I like the quality and price and fat level of Costco (Swift aka JBS). The other nice thing is they remove the glands.
Was at the Costco Business Center in Orlando today and they have the same boneless 2 packs for around $1.50/lb. They also have packs of pork cushion for about the same price.
Pork belly was $3.15/lb
The item that stuck out was beef round cuts at around $3.50/lb.
If I had the fridge and freezer space to make cheap ground beef and stock up on pork ...
GFS is too much of a drive for me and I wasn't impressed with the meat selection, but that probably varies from day to day

Where in Florida? The South Florida gathering is the first weekend of December at Sebring in Highland Hammock SP. Great group of people to hang out.

Reactions: sumosmoke and ron50

Only do butts a couple times a year and suck bag a bunch for later in the year. Typically when WD has them at $1.99. not that ribs are the same, but the last couple swift slabs I bought look like they were cut by a drunk Me. I've stayed away from Smithfield since the whole China thing.

Reactions: ron50
If I want pulled pork or Carnitas or etc, I separate the (for lack of better terms) butterflied Costco shoulders into smaller or larger pieces.
Most of my boneless butt goes in the grinder for sausage and I like the quality and price and fat level of Costco (Swift aka JBS). The other nice thing is they remove the glands.
Was at the Costco Business Center in Orlando today and they have the same boneless 2 packs for around $1.50/lb. They also have packs of pork cushion for about the same price.
Pork belly was $3.15/lb
The item that stuck out was beef round cuts at around $3.50/lb.
If I had the fridge and freezer space to make cheap ground beef and stock up on pork ...
GFS is too much of a drive for me and I wasn't impressed with the meat selection, but that probably varies from day to day

Where in Florida? The South Florida gathering is the first weekend of December at Sebring in Highland Hammock SP. Great group of people to hang out.
I'm sure the price varies depending on which town. We are in the Tampa Bay area so prices are high here for everything.

I was about to say no but I googled it and yes I do, about 30 mins away. I will give them a look. Thanks for the tip!
I buy all my meat at GFS . I'm getting ready to break these down for sausage today , so thought I'd snap a picture .
I go weekly , so I can track prices real time .
They've been carrying Swift , but used to have the double packs just marked as Gordon's food service .
If you go , look at the GFS label . It will show the pack date and the sell by date . They will also have boneless that are more money . I like to get them with some time on them so I can plan it out .
20240130_071820.jpg
20240130_071835.jpg
I also bought some chuck pectoral this trip . It comes from between the chuck and the brisket .
It's a great cut of meat . It dropped almost a buck a pound , so I grabbed a pack .
Cleaned those up yesterday .
20240129_102228.jpg
20240129_104706.jpg
I also buy the bacon and the franks when the price is right .
20200416_115312.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
I generally get the Costco 2 pack. Like chilerelleno chilerelleno said, tie them up with run in and out. Works for most anything. Pretty consistent. Kroger has some of same from time to time, last one I got there was ok…yelled was lower than normal. 8lb bone in got me just over 3lbs of pulled pork. Kinda close to my expectations, but I trimmed 1.5lbs of fat off it too.

I cant justify the price of butcher or WF foods meats. Too rich for me.

Costco boneless are pretty much butterflies that open like a jigsaw puzzle.
But that's just more room for rub.
I have to agree. The price is nice, but they always look like they were deboned by an axe murderer. Good for grinding for sausage, though.

In my area, PNW, the Kroger-owned stores regular price is usually around $2.49-$2.99 lb. for bone-in. But occasionally they will have an unadvertised sale on them at $0.99 lb. That's when I like to load up.

Bought 2 last week . Swift bone in . $1.59 . Looked today they dropped to $1.49 . Gonna go grab a couple for the freezer tomorrow .
Probably the same lost as I bought last week . Sell by date is 2 / 3 / 24 .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky