Old SS recipe I found

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The question is did you let the beer sour the meat for 3 days?

Fred
I did indeed, I think. I mixed and let the chubs hang in the refrigerator for 3 days prior to putting them in the smoker. Did it work? I'll let you know when I get to the iPad where the pictures of the finished product reside.

Reactions: Texas Cookin'
Well, the SS finally finished last night around 11pm.

The first picture was taken after I pulled them from the water bath and the second is after refrigeration overnight.

Flavor is nice, but I’m not really getting anything from the beer “sour” at all. I think it could benefit from dry buttermilk instead of the “milk powder” they called for and I used. I think the buttermilk would add a little tang, but so would the addition of some bactoferm.

Overall, this is a great base recipe that is begging to be played with a bit. I’ll get a picture of the original recipe later when I go in the house and I’ll also post what I “determined” to be what I needed to do.

Attachments

• IMG_4871.jpeg
    IMG_4871.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4875.jpeg
    IMG_4875.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 17
Well, the SS finally finished last night around 11pm.

The first picture was taken after I pulled them from the water bath and the second is after refrigeration overnight.

Flavor is nice, but I’m not really getting anything from the beer “sour” at all. I think it could benefit from dry buttermilk instead of the “milk powder” they called for and I used. I think the buttermilk would add a little tang, but so would the addition of some bactoferm.

Overall, this is a great base recipe that is begging to be played with a bit. I’ll get a picture of the original recipe later when I go in the house and I’ll also post what I “determined” to be what I needed to do.
Well it dang sure looks good!

I make beer brats at work all the time. I have never tasted the beer in them, all I can say is seemed to mute the other spices a bit but no beer flavor or additional tang.
I fail to see the difference between letting the beer "sour" the meat for 3 days and buying 3 day old beer brats. (yes, I have eaten the brats when they were 3+ days old) I wouldn't expect a different outcome with a different meat i.e. Summer Sausage.

Reactions: crankybuzzard
I make beer brats at work all the time. I have never tasted the beer in them, all I can say is seemed to mute the other spices a bit but no beer flavor or additional tang.
I fail to see the difference between letting the beer "sour" the meat for 3 days and buying 3 day old beer brats. (yes, I have eaten the brats when they were 3+ days old) I wouldn't expect a different outcome with a different meat i.e. Summer Sausage.
The ONLY thing I can think of regarding that was that the beer was perhaps homemade. A heavy yeast beer could make a difference, but I’m not sure. The beer that was made on the farm was made fairly regularly, so a beer that wasn’t fully fermented, high yeast still working, could be a thought.

That changes things dramatically. I'd bet it was homemade. Old time farmers were frugal by necessity. Why would they put store bought beer in if they had far cheaper homebrew available. Home brew was likely far stronger tasting than todays commercial offerings.
Maybe you should look some more and maybe find the beer recipe...maybe.

Reactions: crankybuzzard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky