Masterbuilt warranty only 90 days???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I was right about the electric smoker market being small.  I looked up Masterbuilt.  They are doing ~$80 million in revenue with only ~$3 million in net profit.  This revenue is across the entire company (which includes their other product lines like grills etc).  They are a small company with ~60-70 employees. 

The bottom line is that they need to adjust their pricing in accordance with what they are offering.  I think everyone agrees that $430 for a smoker with a 90 warranty is way too much.  This does not compute in my mind.  However, with such slim profit margins, they cant.  They are boxed in. 

So they are damn lucky there is enough niche demand to support current pricing levels, and that the market is small enough to not attract competitors.  Otherwise I believe they would get smoked (excuse the pun). 
Great bit of research, Mummel. I had no idea what their market share was and what their profit was. I agree that they have no business selling $300-$450 smokers with just a 90 day warranty. I get a 1 year warranty with an electric deep fryer. I get a 1 year warranty with a stainless steel cookware set!

If and when I decide to move up in the home smoker world, my electric smoker of choice will not be MES unless they increase their warranty periods to a minimum of one year. If I have the money I'm buying a Made in USA smoker anyway.

The idea that $450 for an electric smoker is expensive and you should be getting more for your money seems off to me when looking at the market. Try and buy something from Smokin-It for that much and you will get a smaller unit with analog controls. The same goes for Cook Shack and Bradley.

Masterbuilt smokers are what they are which is an entry level smoker that gives you a lot of features for a small investment. If you want an all stainless unit with a large capacity that will last for 10-20 years then you need to up your budget to $1000 or more.

The Masterbuilt bashing that goes on around here at times equates to buying a Suzuki and being pissed off that it doesn't have the same features as a BMW. You get what you pay for.

The idea that $450 for an electric smoker is expensive and you should be getting more for your money seems off to me when looking at the market. Try and buy something from Smokin-It for that much and you will get a smaller unit with analog controls. The same goes for Cook Shack and Bradley.

Masterbuilt smokers are what they are which is an entry level smoker that gives you a lot of features for a small investment. If you want an all stainless unit with a large capacity that will last for 10-20 years then you need to up your budget to $1000 or more.

The Masterbuilt bashing that goes on around here at times equates to buying a Suzuki and being pissed off that it doesn't have the same features as a BMW. You get what you pay for.
You missed the point. In this thread, as I perceive it, the Masterbuilt bashing is over the inadequate warranty. The MES is what it is but I won't pay over $200 for anything that only comes with a 90-day warranty. There's absolutely no reason--other than cost avoidance--why MB can't warranty its smokers for a full 12 month period.

And keep in mind that I really like my MES 30 Gen 1.

I was right about the electric smoker market being small.  I looked up Masterbuilt.  They are doing ~$80 million in revenue with only ~$3 million in net profit.  This revenue is across the entire company (which includes their other product lines like grills etc).  They are a small company with ~60-70 employees. 
@mummel  where did this information come from? Masterbuilt is a privately owned company so I wouldn't think that their net profit is public knowledge. 

Dun & Bradstreet.  Their databases arent always accurate but are normally in the ballpark. 
I can tell you from experience that their information can be very inaccurate. If the actual company is not on top of their D&B report then it can get way out of whack.

Well, Mummel did say their reports are in the ballpark, Bmaddox. Perhaps his knowledge is as good as yours. I have no reason to doubt either one of you.

Last edited:
As a Master Built owner I must say that the way they administer there warranty is Odd. They regularly replace parts or whole units after the warranty has expired. They try to satisfy most customer problems. 90 days is a short period of time. But there are those who let a piece of electrical equipment sit outside uncovered in the rain and snow. Just how long should it be? Look at it from there point of view.  Jted

Last edited:
Reactions: daricksta

As a Master Built owner I must say that the way they administer there warranty is Odd. They regularly replace parts or whole units after the warranty has expired. They try to satisfy most customer problems. 90 days is a short period of time. But there are those who let a piece of electrical equipment sit outside uncovered in the rain and snow. Just how long should it be? Look at it from there point of view.  Jted
Great comment, Jted.

Look at it from their point of view. If something is inherently wrong with the unit, or the parts, the failure will typically occur within the first three months.

I don't know how mb compares to smokehollow in terms of performance (newbie here) but smokehollow offers a 1 year warranty..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky