Certified Piedmontese Beef Chuck Roast Chili Idaho Russet - lots o pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Ok this is my first experience, smoke, and post on CPB products. I came by this beef in way of the throwdown prize for “ribs”

So here is the first time specimen…..
448258C6-BF96-49CB-99B0-71C94CEDD54B.jpeg

Ok first glance is that there is minimal fat and such between the muscle groups….
3ED147AA-601B-4BEA-AD2E-9DB4B90BC580.jpeg

I like this veiw because it’s the first indication that the tissue/fat structure is different than other beef….. if you look close you can see a micro marbling vs thicker sections of fat typical of chuck roasts…..more on this later……
6E641A42-E27D-4929-975C-7D75F7A48938.jpeg

Seasoned up with kinders carne asdada as my wife said it will complement the chili…..
BBC97687-9359-4042-A5B5-82F99B3139B5.jpeg

The braising liquid, 1.5C beef, 1/4C chicken & wine, 1 Tbsp veg base, 2 Tbsp Wooster….
8241E7AC-5A4C-48D7-9187-7282F1C2F5EB.jpeg

Ok just a check in with the weather for the days cook…very nice day for a smoke!
6E8B7A37-F653-4FAE-BEB9-3D22A06B6667.jpeg

Bingo on the RT at 265 top rack smoke….
385F813F-8A68-4555-9FFF-ABE113D15A3F.jpeg

The initial stats….the chuck was still a bit frozen…. Started at 10:30….
1B093E44-81CF-467E-9966-C558CD9D6900.jpeg

Progress shot 2.5 hrs in…..
25B85D99-C736-458E-AEAD-F32FD0F0AEE3.jpeg

The check in stats……love the developing color!
E203A265-6458-499E-BB3F-61736C19AE65.png

Ok it started to stall a bit and has a nice bark….5 hours in….time to boat…
8735A357-8239-45FD-930C-F00124B20F68.jpeg

The boat!
DF9CECE2-0B82-40F0-AB2B-90571640317C.jpeg

The boat stats….
A1480321-BF7B-4386-961C-E876B3DD26BA.png

Bingo time to rest!
D733DF29-9854-4F2C-A4F8-F43131EFCD29.png

Man oh man this looks tasty!!!
3B5074A0-5B4F-48CE-AB16-36E242483B96.jpeg

So I actually helped the wife with the chili base…..she makes a flour roux for a chili sauce…the spices in the roux…
02777CFF-349C-4ABF-B210-275251B66B4D.jpeg

Me cleaning 3 different dried chili pods from seeds…..
94A75FF6-99F1-43C9-B6DA-161A242FD1E7.jpeg

The small pieces get put in the spice grinder to make a chili powder….
4FDE0730-D15F-420F-B6BA-7748F2F9EAEA.jpeg

The dried pods getting rehydrated in the above broths and spices with a couple cloves….
CA51444E-1E57-4E93-9420-E9DD0E011E48.jpeg

Bingo into the ninja for a bled
5B4A4704-73F1-4AA6-9FA4-34A9E76BE74B.jpeg

After the blend the sauce is screened into the roux….oh man this is pure flavor!!!
FAE4DE4C-3516-48BF-AB81-0FA76798ADEE.jpeg

Ok so the chuck went in the house oven at 145 to rest for 90 mins and it’s ready to pull…… now back to the micro marbling I mentioned above the pan sauce has almost the same rendered tallow as other chucks I’ve done so I sliced it open to inspect the grain texture and moisture levels……
C1C36DEE-F016-477C-8B30-9057A0CFC443.jpeg

If you look close you can see moisture in each of the micro marbling veins and partial separation of the tissue…..even though these seem very lean they actually have very uniform marbling so more rendered talo is dispersed through the meat….

This uniformed texture was witnessed as I was pulling,it was very eye opening. Normally “lean” looking sections of chuck are dryer and less taste, however this was juicy and tender though out the whole cut!
ACAE3019-CFD5-4AC0-9D3F-AAC31726F441.jpeg

Oh and this is a HUGE thing to note…..at the end of pulling it I had ZERO waste to discard…..I have NEVER seen this before……but that said it was all juicy and tender……. Hands down this meat is a whole different kind of beef! Next is it has what my wife says a non- bitter gamy taste, it is very evident that these are feed way different than other beef!

This is just beautiful! This is the BEST tasting and texture chuck we have ever done!
624C07C6-2F34-49EB-AE9C-680695F861E8.jpeg

So after having a mini mind blowing tasting, it was time to add it to the wife’s homemade chili base……
B16897E2-D12B-4CB3-9C4C-6FE947F0BC3D.jpeg

The next complement was some Idaho grown salt crusted russets…..
1947BA07-7039-43E2-8E62-5335CAAE3E0B.jpeg

Oh and can’t forget the GR Hell’s Kitchen caramelized balsamic red onions…..
77DBD268-8B66-46F8-A477-AFF86AC2DD3F.jpeg

Thanks for hanging in but here is the final put together dish…..russet, sharp white cheese, a few black beens, chili, sharp white, onions, and S-cream….oh and some corn bread with honey butter…..
A6FF056A-4FA9-483E-90B8-CE3CAFCB962B.jpeg

So our daughter came over for dinner (she scratch made the corn bread) and as she took her first bite of the chili…… she uttered….”oh f…k….wow”…. Then she said oh sorry for the curse…. But wow!
FB0790A8-12E0-44B6-949D-9F77FEB26641.jpeg

In closing thanks again to the throwdown team for the opportunity to have this experience. And the “nod” goes to CPB……we still have some ribeyes and beef back ribs to try, but it is fair to say CPB may find its way in our home for special cooks cause it is the real deal!!!

Last edited:
Damn that looks fantastic. I would say it would be nice to live closer so I could mooch a little bit of that but at 37* in the daytime I would have to wear full ski equipment just to deal with that cold.

At 1am it is 57* outside and I would not go out there without a jacket.

Reactions: civilsmoker
What an amazing meal and the presentation is first class. Excellent work all around Civil. This is a top notch thread with a perfect summary of the product. So glad you were able to make something extraordinary from your TD winnings.
This is just beautiful! This is the BEST tasting and texture chuck we have ever done!
As you noted, the CPB products are much leaner than standard American beef. I'm not the least bit surprised that you had no waste when pulling it. There is very little fat to begin with and it will tend to render into the meat just adding to the flavor and juiciness. Unlike store bought beef, this stuff has double musculature properties which lend toward a more tender and flavorful product. No question, the CPB products are legit and truly first-class.

Once again, what a great write up and summary my friend.

Robert

Yes....I did not even taste it and I echo your daughter's sentiments exactly!!!! Nicely done!
Many thanks swamp! Lol after my daughter had her uncensored utterance….. I couldn’t resist in boastfully asking if she missed us yet…. Lol…
Damn that looks fantastic. I would say it would be nice to live closer so I could mooch a little bit of that but at 37* in the daytime I would have to wear full ski equipment just to deal with that cold.

At 1am it is 57* outside and I would not go out there without a jacket.
Much appreciated 90, ah it was a very nice day…. We even went for a walk at 3 with just a fleece…. The body adjusts….. oh and real winter hasn’t even started heat yet…..
Take a bow..... you deserve it.
Many thanks is fx!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: indaswamp
Excellent!!
Thanks GS!
What an amazing meal and the presentation is first class. Excellent work all around Civil. This is a top notch thread with a perfect summary of the product. So glad you were able to make something extraordinary from your TD winnings.

As you noted, the CPB products are much leaner than standard American beef. I'm not the least bit surprised that you had no waste when pulling it. There is very little fat to begin with and it will tend to render into the meat just adding to the flavor and juiciness. Unlike store bought beef, this stuff has double musculature properties which lend toward a more tender and flavorful product. No question, the CPB products are legit and truly first-class.

Once again, what a great write up and summary my friend.

Robert
Much appreciated Robert! Happy to share the results of the TD spoils. You know me and my fam has very high standard and it takes a lot to impress me….. I am so looking forward to both the rib eye and ribs! I mean this package was perfect for use cause, Chuck, rib eyes, and ribs are always on the menu at our house!

Oh I need to add to what I said about, this was from a frozen cut but you would never know it!

My goodness that looks amazing ! Time for me to order some more CPB !

Many thanks jax! It’s a “worth it” kind of deal in my book!
Before you order, please send me a PM. I have some useful info that will save you quite a bit of $$.

Robert
Enabler!!!!!! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: jaxgatorz
Oh I need to add to what I said about, this was from a frozen cut but you would never know it!
Yep. All the TD prizes come from the online side and it's all shipped frozen. I believe they have some way to flash freeze the meat so it doesn't lose any freshness. Everything from the wholesale side, what they call "boxed beef" is shipped fresh though.

Robert

Great looking chili! Can you send me a jar of the wifes chili starter? :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: That is some good looking stuff!

Jim

Ok this is my first experience, smoke, and post on CPB products. I came by this beef in way of the throwdown prize for “ribs”

So here is the first time specimen…..
View attachment 679912
Ok first glance is that there is minimal fat and such between the muscle groups….
View attachment 679913
I like this veiw because it’s the first indication that the tissue/fat structure is different than other beef….. if you look close you can see a micro marbling vs thicker sections of fat typical of chuck roasts…..more on this later……
View attachment 679940

Seasoned up with kinders carne asdada as my wife said it will complement the chili…..View attachment 679914

The braising liquid, 1.5C beef, 1/4C chicken & wine, 1 Tbsp veg base, 2 Tbsp Wooster….
View attachment 679916
Ok just a check in with the weather for the days cook…very nice day for a smoke!
View attachment 679918

Bingo on the RT at 265 top rack smoke….
View attachment 679915

The initial stats….the chuck was still a bit frozen…. Started at 10:30….
View attachment 679917

Progress shot 2.5 hrs in…..
View attachment 679919
The check in stats……love the developing color!
View attachment 679947
Ok it started to stall a bit and has a nice bark….5 hours in….time to boat…
View attachment 679922
The boat!
View attachment 679923
The boat stats….
View attachment 679925

Bingo time to rest!
View attachment 679924
Man oh man this looks tasty!!!
View attachment 679926
So I actually helped the wife with the chili base…..she makes a flour roux for a chili sauce…the spices in the roux…
View attachment 679932

Me cleaning 3 different dried chili pods from seeds…..View attachment 679927
The small pieces get put in the spice grinder to make a chili powder….
View attachment 679928

The dried pods getting rehydrated in the above broths and spices with a couple cloves….
View attachment 679941

Bingo into the ninja for a bled
View attachment 679929

After the blend the sauce is screened into the roux….oh man this is pure flavor!!!
View attachment 679930

Ok so the chuck went in the house oven at 145 to rest for 90 mins and it’s ready to pull…… now back to the micro marbling I mentioned above the pan sauce has almost the same rendered tallow as other chucks I’ve done so I sliced it open to inspect the grain texture and moisture levels……
View attachment 679931
If you look close you can see moisture in each of the micro marbling veins and partial separation of the tissue…..even though these seem very lean they actually have very uniform marbling so more rendered talo is dispersed through the meat….

This uniformed texture was witnessed as I was pulling,it was very eye opening. Normally “lean” looking sections of chuck are dryer and less taste, however this was juicy and tender though out the whole cut!
View attachment 679933
Oh and this is a HUGE thing to note…..at the end of pulling it I had ZERO waste to discard…..I have NEVER seen this before……but that said it was all juicy and tender……. Hands down this meat is a whole different kind of beef! Next is it has what my wife says a non- bitter gamy taste, it is very evident that these are feed way different than other beef!

View attachment 679936

So after having a mini mind blowing tasting, it was time to add it to the wife’s homemade chili base……
View attachment 679935

The next complement was some Idaho grown salt crusted russets…..
View attachment 679934

Oh and can’t forget the GR Hell’s Kitchen caramelized balsamic red onions…..
View attachment 679939

Thanks for hanging in but here is the final put together dish…..russet, sharp white cheese, a few black beens, chili, sharp white, onions, and S-cream….oh and some corn bread with honey butter…..
View attachment 679937

So our daughter came over for dinner (she scratch made the corn bread) and as she took her first bite of the chili…… she uttered….”oh f…k….wow”…. Then she said oh sorry for the curse…. But wow!
View attachment 679938

In closing thanks again to the throwdown team for the opportunity to have this experience. And the “nod” goes to CPB……we still have some ribeyes and beef back ribs to try, but it is fair to say CPB may find its way in our home for special cooks cause it is the real deal!!!
What a tremendous write up, and thank you for the review of our product. We take immense pride in the raising of this specialty breed of cattle, and when it is this well received by the end consumer, it makes all of that hard work worth it in the end.

As you mentioned, the muscle structures of the Piedmontese breed of cattle are unlike every other breed of cattle used in beef production. The DNA Strand of the inactive myo-statin gene that is found exclusively in the Piedmontese breed of cattle is what directly correlates to a very lean, yet extremely tender finished product. In my near 10 years experience of dealing with the product, the leaner it gets, the more tender it becomes when cooked - which is a bit counterintuitive based off of what the USDA (and butcher's worldwide) have said for decades. It's great to be the exception to the rule, and we are glad to bring a healthy (and dang delicious!) beef product to American households all across the country!

Again, thank you for your kind words, and tremendous write up!

Yep. All the TD prizes come from the online side and it's all shipped frozen. I believe they have some way to flash freeze the meat so it doesn't lose any freshness. Everything from the wholesale side, what they call "boxed beef" is shipped fresh though.

Robert
Yea it is very well vac-sealed and it was 85 degrees when it showed up but it was packed very well and was frozen frozen FROZEN!

It would be a treat to work with the boxed beef for sure!!!!
Great looking chili! Can you send me a jar of the wifes chili starter? :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: That is some good looking stuff!

Jim
Thanks Jim! The Mrs is the sauce queen for sure! The only reason I even got my hands in it was because she just had 4 discs (yes 4) in her neck replaced early last week so I’m her hands for some time (4 months) while she mends…..

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
What a tremendous write up, and thank you for the review of our product. We take immense pride in the raising of this specialty breed of cattle, and when it is this well received by the end consumer, it makes all of that hard work worth it in the end.

As you mentioned, the muscle structures of the Piedmontese breed of cattle are unlike every other breed of cattle used in beef production. The DNA Strand of the inactive myo-statin gene that is found exclusively in the Piedmontese breed of cattle is what directly correlates to a very lean, yet extremely tender finished product. In my near 10 years experience of dealing with the product, the leaner it gets, the more tender it becomes when cooked - which is a bit counterintuitive based off of what the USDA (and butcher's worldwide) have said for decades. It's great to be the exception to the rule, and we are glad to bring a healthy (and dang delicious!) beef product to American households all across the country!

Again, thank you for your kind words, and tremendous write up!
CP, you are welcome…..I just call it like it see it…. The genetics thing at the muscular level makes a ton of sense to me….. it seems that the result is a reduced fat and a thinner collagen membrane that fully renders and breaks down to the magic juice as I call it. This membrane on normal chucks is too thick to break down and has to be cut out. This membrane was more prevalent through the meat structure and kinda incorporated its self into the pulled meat. I almost got full doing taste test of each part and section to verify what should “stay”

I am looking forward to trying out the other cuts (rib-eyes and ribs) in the near future and will just say keep doing what you are doing with this beef, you have a special thing in a very crowded and competitive market!

Last edited:
civilsmoker civilsmoker WOW! She really had some work done on her neck! Well I know you'll take good care of her. Prayers for healing and comfort her way.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I will pass them along to her…..and yes she had a “little bit” of work…… 3D modeled robotic assisted, 4 at one time is “a thing”, but we are lucky to have a rock start doc close by that is an international pioneer/fellow in disc replacements! He also happens to buy and surgically replace more discs than any other doc in North America…..

CP, you are welcome…..I just call it like it see it…. The genetics thing at the muscular level makes a ton of sense to me….. it seems that the result is a reduced fat and a thinner collagen membrane that fully renders and breaks down to the magic juice as I call it. This membrane on normal chucks is too thick to break down and has to be cut out. This membrane was more prevent through the meat structure and kinda incorporated its self into the pulled meat. I almost got full doing taste test of each part and section to verify what should “stay”

I am looking forward to trying out the other cuts (rib-eyes and ribs) in the near future and will just say keep doing what you are doing with this beef, you have a special thing in a very crowded and competitive market!
I also failed to mention what you just nailed straight on the head - due to the lack of marbling and very dense muscle fibers, the Piedmontese breed of cattle also produce little to no (very minimal across the carcass) connective tissue, which also aides in creating an extremely tender finished product.

I also failed to mention what you just nailed straight on the head - due to the lack of marbling and very dense muscle fibers, the Piedmontese breed of cattle also produce little to no (very minimal across the carcass) connective tissue, which also aides in creating an extremely tender finished product.
This is an amazing thing! What is there seems to enhance the flavor and add to the texture and tenderness. We cook a LOT of chuck roasts in our house so the difference was very apparent but the results seem to break the rules but the genetics “removes” the a large potion of the undesirable connective tissues. I am going ti have my eye out when I do the rib eyes I have in the freezer as well as the beef back ribs…..

I’m really curious to see/experience the resulting product on the ribs…..it strikes me that the difference will be even more noticeable on the ribs over the chuck.

Last edited:
Great dish of food , and good on your daughter for saying it like she tastes it , lol

Glad to hear your wife is on the mend and you are her helping hands for a few months, not that you were not before :emoji_wink:

Nice to see the supplier/sponsor get in touch and comment on your great review and cook of their product.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky