Certified Piedmontese Beef Chuck Roast Chili Idaho Russet - lots o pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW fantastic looking Chili Civil. Do you always shred the beef? I've never tried that approach, and will have to give it some thought on my next batch. Thanks for making something so simple a little more difficult. LOL

Point for sure
Chris

Also, thanks for showing us what you did with your prize winnings. It's good to show our sponsor's some love/support. I hope more winners follow suit.

I also failed to mention what you just nailed straight on the head - due to the lack of marbling and very dense muscle fibers, the Piedmontese breed of cattle also produce little to no (very minimal across the carcass) connective tissue, which also aides in creating an extremely tender finished product.
Oh the other observation that I will mention, I didn’t before because one cut is not enough of a sample to really make a definitive assessment but seem to me that the muscle tissue is also more “porous” which if so breaks the rules again. I noticed that once I added the pulled chuck back into the braising liquid it seems to “hold” a noticeable increased amount of the fluid (ie not surface based as normal beef). It would make sense to me that the muscle tissue structure has adapted due to the inactive gene to compensate and therefore the tissue it’s self has a capacity to retain a higher % of moisture……

Last edited:
Oh the other observation that I will mention, I didn’t before because one cut is not enough of a sample to really make a definitive assessment but seem to me that the muscle tissue is also more “porous” which is so breaks the rules again. I noticed that once I added the pulled chuck back into the braising liquid a it seems to “hold” a noticeable increased amount of the fluid (ie not surface based as normal beef). It would make sense to me that the muscle tissue structure has adapted due to the inactive gene to compensate and therefore the tissue it’s self has a capacity to retain a higher % of moisture……
Are you Alton Brown or Bill Nye hiding behind the moniker of Civilsmoker? LOL

Chris

Great dish of food , and good on your daughter for saying it like she tastes it , lol

Glad to hear your wife is on the mend and you are her helping hands for a few months, not that you were not before :emoji_wink:

Nice to see the supplier/sponsor get in touch and comment on your great review and cook of their product.

David
Thanks David! Yea the daughter facial expression was equally fun to watch!

Yes hats off to CPB!

Appreciate the words on the Mrs!!
WOW fantastic looking Chili Civil. Do you always shred the beef? I've never tried that approach, and will have to give it some thought on my next batch. Thanks for making something so simple a little more difficult. LOL

Point for sure
Chris

Also, thanks for showing us what you did with your prize winnings. It's good to show our sponsor's some love/support. I hope more winners follow suit.
Thanks and you are welcome! Yes we always pull the chuck for chili, partly because we use the chuck for other dishes as well. I sometime leave me some larger pieces for my bowl, but the shredded is more like ground….. when we put it over hot dogs it makes it money like con carnie.

I agree, showcasing CPB, they are a legit sponsor! I appreciate to opportunity and ability to do so!

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Are you Alton Brown or Bill Nye hiding behind the moniker of Civilsmoker? LOL

Chris
Lol…… I just looked and my DL and nope to neither…. As a youngster is did a little bit of livestock judging and grading…. Also did a little bit of genetics study in the college days….. but really I’m a BEEF guy!!!!!! It’s my happy place that I live in!!…… Lol.

Last edited:
I'm not good with accolades. And you just proved this. This is simply amazing! You made an amazing meal my friend! I can't express what I think about the meal. Details. And presentation.

Reactions: civilsmoker
I'm not good with accolades. And you just proved this. This is simply amazing! You made an amazing meal my friend! I can't express what I think about the meal. Details. And presentation.
Much appreciated Steve! Glad I could share our home town meat and potato’s meal!
Such an awesome thread!!
🤓 agreed swamp, this has been really educational for sure!

Last edited:
So here is the encore leftovers…. Started by searing up the day old russets……
5284E08D-5509-4031-B80D-44248D890CA5.jpeg

Then building the stack…..spuds first,
357B48A1-D93A-4BC8-9C10-B397E656CD82.jpeg

Followed by some sharp white cheddar…..
DBD8D7F3-2DEC-4B2C-A6B2-4E193CEB79BA.jpeg

Next Chuck chili and a bit more cheddar (forgot the black herbs)….
78DE8B8D-A9ED-4932-9F4E-6E8D3ABAFE88.jpeg

Next under the broiler and then finished with onions and SC….bamb…the crispy spuds are magic!
89F39CFA-973C-49FA-BE70-BEDB6F383D35.jpeg

I will add tonight the Mrs had me do a good portion of the roux…… so she does like 6 Tbsp butter, 5 flour, and one ground chili powder…..she cooks the flour in for bit then adds a Tbsp of t-paste and cooks this into the roux she also adds some cumin and coriander. She sautés this till the paste turns color, it smells very rich! Then she adds chicken broth slowly mixing it in so it blends and becomes silky….. she also adds some soy and white wine vinegar. She also adds a pinch of sugar and salt and a dusting of taco seasoning….simple but when mixed with the puréed peppers it’s perfect!

I also snapped a pic of the left overs that have been cooked you can see most of the remaining liquid has been absorbed
14023455-6030-4C03-AF69-2BEE079A77D5.jpeg

I also pulled a peace and took a close up…..you can see the micro fibrous connective tissue this fascinates me…….
DB8EFE27-DF6E-4B2C-93A2-F5E0495C3BE6.jpeg

Reactions: indaswamp
The DNA Strand of the inactive myo-statin gene that is found exclusively in the Piedmontese breed of cattle is what directly correlates to a very lean, yet extremely tender finished product.

I am looking forward to trying out the other cuts (rib-eyes and ribs) in the near future
One thing that I neglected to mention. Fat in meat has a high moisture content. The moisture takes considerably longer to heat up, hence it takes longer to cook. With the Piedmontese beef being much leaner, it cooks a lot faster. This is critical to know going in when you're trying to attain a perfect IT on your finished product, especially a world-class steak. Ribs and your chuck roast aren't gonna be disappointing if you go over your target temp by a few degrees but as you know, it can make a big difference with a steak. Please bear this in mind when you get ready to cook those rib eyes :emoji_wink:

Robert

One thing that I neglected to mention. Fat in meat has a high moisture content. The moisture takes considerably longer to heat up, hence it takes longer to cook. With the Piedmontese beef being much leaner, it cooks a lot faster. This is critical to know going in when you're trying to attain a perfect IT on your finished product, especially a world-class steak. Ribs and your chuck roast aren't gonna be disappointing if you go over your target temp by a few degrees but as you know, it can make a big difference with a steak. Please bear this in mind when you get ready to cook those rib eyes :emoji_wink:

Robert
Robert, thanks for the heads up, your timing was perfect as the boy and me were just discussing our meal plan tonight…..we are going to break into a couple of the rib eyes!

Here is the final encore of the CPB smoked chuck…. This time “Chuck and Eggs”

This is a simple preparation of GR creamy eggs……

Some slivered onions, pulled chuck, shroom caps and cherry maters in a pan with some oil……
IMG_6749.jpeg

I start the caps first to get the bottoms seared up the turn them…… mid high heat and total time (I start with a hot pan) 7 mins….

The last min I grate some sharp white cheddar over the chuck…..note I don’t mix or turn anything it all sears up nicely…..
IMG_6750.jpeg

GR creamy eggs, start with a small cold sauce pan, put 3 eggs and a tbsp of butter then whip with a silicon paddle…..then 1 min on mid high heat, 1 min off, always whipping and folding…..it takes about 6 mins total….then a bit of crème fraiche salt and GO and mix in… the CF cools and stops it from over cooking….
IMG_6751.jpeg

Serve it over a slice of toasted whole wheat sour….
IMG_6752.jpeg

Man oh man…..Chuck and Eggs is a thing!
IMG_6753.jpeg

Well no more CPB Chuck left so this one will be a wrap!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky