Maplewood chips Ok for spares?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

badss

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if Maplewood chips are OK for smoking a few racks of Pork Spare ribs? The local Canadian Tire store is sold out of everything else and this is all thats left on the shelf and I am running low on Mesquite. Being new to smoking I am not sure what goes with what and I don't want to blow the ribs? Any help would be great. Thanks
BADSS

i use maple a lot & it works well on spares.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
i usually mix it w/ mesquite so if ya can spare a little mesquite try it.

Thanks Gypsyseagod...I'm on my way right now as there was only two bags left on the shelf. Can't beleive the way some poeple think...if the shelves are bare...thats a good thing if you are selling stuff and should be a sign that "Hey maybe I should get more !" I 'll stock up next time I go into Edmonton. Thanks for the tip...I'll let you know how my spares turn out tonight/ Cheers .BADSS

Make sure you get out that camera. We love Q-View! I want to see the progress of the smoke. I am ready to do another rib smoke again soon. When I do I'll post them,now that I know how to post pictures..Ha.

Happy smoking, have fun, have an adult beverage to knock off the edges.

Maple works great with spares, but has a much lighter flavor. I use it alot because it grows wild all around here. You may want to mix with a little bit of mesquite or hickory for a deeper smoke flavor.

Cheers,
Brian

Yep I'm smoking 12 lbs of bacon right now and cutting up a few butts to ground into hot snack sausages like Slim Jims or peperonis. I got a turkey, some ribs and a fatty thawing for tomorrow with some ABTs.

Spares turned out fantastic. Managed to get 4 this time around ....4 ribs that is outta 10 lbs. LOL. Buddies are starting to ask what I am smokin next! If I have to keep feed'em and buying the beer....I am gonna start a collection can....cleaned my beer fridge right out and left feeling not so hungry and very sleepy! LOL. Thanks for the tips...next time I may try the Cherry mixed with the Maple as it sounds good. Sorry folks ...no pics of this one. Went to snap some shots and noticed I left my camera card in my office. Next smoke I think we'll do up a roast ! Thanks again for all the tips everyone.
BADSS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky