She Asked For Texas Q: Beef And Pork Rib Feast (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
One of the things mom asked me to cook for her at some point was some Texas style BBQ. She was born and raised in Northern VA and that area is not exactly famous for their style of BBQ....like it doesn't exist. They have some BBQ joints but nothing close to their own style. Discussed a few options and decided on ribs. I have several racks of Dino ribs in the freezer and a couple racks of pork ribs. Since Jeff and Kandi were coming over for dinner, I decided to do some of both.

The ribs defrosted.
001.jpg

Chuck short ribs (AKA Dino ribs) seasoned up with me beef rub.
002.jpg

These things are enormous. Almost 3" thick and the 4-bone rack weighed in at just shy of 7 pounds.
003.jpg

Got the Hy Fyre up to temp and running cherry wood with Jealous Devil lump charcoal.
004.jpg

Beef ribs on at 8:00 in the morning. Anticipating about an 8 hour cook at 250*.
005.jpg

A couple hours into the beef ribs smoking it was time to get the pork ribs ready. Seasoned with my go-to pork rub.
006.jpg

Time to start getting the apps ready. This sausage is absolutely amazing!!
007.jpg

About 3 hours in (I think) and starting to get some nice pull back on the beef ribs.
008.jpg

Pork ribs coming along nicely. This is a couple hours into the cook.
009.jpg

Appetizer plate. The sausage, some vintage aged extra sharp cheddar, and crackers. Simple but delicious.
010.jpg

At about 4 hours it's time to apply a little glaze. Not sauced, just a light glaze that brings just a little bit of sweet and a little spice tingle.
011.jpg

At the 6 hour mark. These are looking really good. For some reason I really like this pic.
012.jpg

No wrap on any of them. Just smoke and heat. The pork ribs done. These were pretty thin and cooked in about 5 hours.
013.jpg

Ok, the back story. About a year before Tracy and I got married I made 5 cases of wine for the reception, two different styles. I could not believe how fast this stuff disappeared. People just loved it. Found this at mom's as we were packing her up to move down here. Probably the last bottle in existence.
014.jpg

Doctored up some Busch's baked beans. Also made a batch of my wasabi horseradish slaw but no pic.
015.jpg

Dino ribs done. I did baste these with a concoction I put together with beef gravy, bourbon, beef broth, and more of the seasoning used on the ribs.
016.jpg

Look how thick these monsters are.
017.jpg

Both racks on the cutting board.
019.jpg

Looking pretty good in my estimation.
020.jpg

The pork ribs sliced.
021.jpg

Both racks.
022.jpg

The whole spread. Simple, basic backyard BBQ but I think we'll be eating pretty good. In the small bowls are the glaze and baste I used on the ribs.
023.jpg

Wow. So moist, tender, and juicy. Cannot wait to chomp into these babies.
024.jpg

My first plate. As noted above, simple but pure happiness. A little of the basting sauce on the beef rib.
025.jpg

And for DRKsmoking DRKsmoking and JLeonard JLeonard , the requisite close up shot of the ribs.
026.jpg

Well that's it...finally. Felt really good to have a reprieve from the heat and truly enjoy firing up the smoker to make a dream meal for mom, and the rest of the crew of course. These CPB beef chuck short ribs are just to die for. Pork ribs used to be the favorite around here but alas, no more. The Dino ribs have won over by a long shot. Still love pork but they just seem to fall short any more. The sides were basic but more than adequate and of course the perfect accompaniments to round out the meal. We just love that Wasabi horseradish slaw. Just a touch of the horseradish really brings the slaw to life.

Oh well, my first post in weeks and of course I have to use up a terabyte of bandwidth :emoji_laughing: Gonna call it done now though.Thanks for hanging in till the end assuming you made it. Y'all take care and hopefully I'll be back in the SMF saddle a bit more going forward. Been a crazy month and a half.

Robert

I enjoyed reading this thread Robert. Ribs look fantastic! Glad you were able to do this for your Mom. I should cook beef ribs more often, they are really good. And yes, so glad the heat has relented....been so nice for outdoor projects and cooking!

Reactions: JLeonard
Everything looks amazing. I am glad to see your dino rib cook as I was just informed that my CPB dino ribs will be arriving Friday.. I hope I can make mine come out close to as good as yours. Now to see if I can remember how to fire up my smoker. :emoji_sunglasses:

Good Lord Robert! Those look gorgeous. And as I've said before with a protein like that all you need are simple sides. Hopefully you let mom take a nap after that meal. I know i'd be passed out on the patio! And those folks over at CPB need to just start using your pics on their website.

Jim

That is a awesome cook right there! I have some of that CPB beef in my freezer that needs a similar treatment in the near future!

So awesome to see you taking great care of your mom. Food looks amazing and man those beef ribs are something off the Flintstones!!

A fine hunk of work there Robert, everything looks to be spot on! I'm thinking nobody left the table hungry either, mama must have been thrilled! RAY

One of the things mom asked me to cook for her at some point was some Texas style BBQ. She was born and raised in Northern VA and that area is not exactly famous for their style of BBQ....like it doesn't exist. They have some BBQ joints but nothing close to their own style. Discussed a few options and decided on ribs. I have several racks of Dino ribs in the freezer and a couple racks of pork ribs. Since Jeff and Kandi were coming over for dinner, I decided to do some of both.

The ribs defrosted.
View attachment 678821

Chuck short ribs (AKA Dino ribs) seasoned up with me beef rub.
View attachment 678822

These things are enormous. Almost 3" thick and the 4-bone rack weighed in at just shy of 7 pounds.
View attachment 678823

Got the Hy Fyre up to temp and running cherry wood with Jealous Devil lump charcoal.
View attachment 678824

Beef ribs on at 8:00 in the morning. Anticipating about an 8 hour cook at 250*.
View attachment 678825

A couple hours into the beef ribs smoking it was time to get the pork ribs ready. Seasoned with my go-to pork rub.
View attachment 678826

Time to start getting the apps ready. This sausage is absolutely amazing!!
View attachment 678827

About 3 hours in (I think) and starting to get some nice pull back on the beef ribs.
View attachment 678828

Pork ribs coming along nicely. This is a couple hours into the cook.
View attachment 678829

Appetizer plate. The sausage, some vintage aged extra sharp cheddar, and crackers. Simple but delicious.
View attachment 678830

At about 4 hours it's time to apply a little glaze. Not sauced, just a light glaze that brings just a little bit of sweet and a little spice tingle.
View attachment 678831

At the 6 hour mark. These are looking really good. For some reason I really like this pic.
View attachment 678832

No wrap on any of them. Just smoke and heat. The pork ribs done. These were pretty thin and cooked in about 5 hours.
View attachment 678833

Ok, the back story. About a year before Tracy and I got married I made 5 cases of wine for the reception, two different styles. I could not believe how fast this stuff disappeared. People just loved it. Found this at mom's as we were packing her up to move down here. Probably the last bottle in existence.
View attachment 678834

Doctored up some Busch's baked beans. Also made a batch of my wasabi horseradish slaw but no pic.
View attachment 678835

Dino ribs done. I did baste these with a concoction I put together with beef gravy, bourbon, beef broth, and more of the seasoning used on the ribs.
View attachment 678836

Look how thick these monsters are.
View attachment 678837

Both racks on the cutting board.
View attachment 678838

Looking pretty good in my estimation.
View attachment 678839

The pork ribs sliced.
View attachment 678840

Both racks.
View attachment 678841

The whole spread. Simple, basic backyard BBQ but I think we'll be eating pretty good. In the small bowls are the glaze and baste I used on the ribs.
View attachment 678842

Wow. So moist, tender, and juicy. Cannot wait to chomp into these babies.
View attachment 678843

My first plate. As noted above, simple but pure happiness. A little of the basting sauce on the beef rib.
View attachment 678844

And for DRKsmoking DRKsmoking and JLeonard JLeonard , the requisite close up shot of the ribs.
View attachment 678845

Well that's it...finally. Felt really good to have a reprieve from the heat and truly enjoy firing up the smoker to make a dream meal for mom, and the rest of the crew of course. These CPB beef chuck short ribs are just to die for. Pork ribs used to be the favorite around here but alas, no more. The Dino ribs have won over by a long shot. Still love pork but they just seem to fall short any more. The sides were basic but more than adequate and of course the perfect accompaniments to round out the meal. We just love that Wasabi horseradish slaw. Just a touch of the horseradish really brings the slaw to life.

Oh well, my first post in weeks and of course I have to use up a terabyte of bandwidth :emoji_laughing: Gonna call it done now though.Thanks for hanging in till the end assuming you made it. Y'all take care and hopefully I'll be back in the SMF saddle a bit more going forward. Been a crazy month and a half.

Robert
Well crap. whatever I had planned for supper is going to suck now. It all looks wonderful.

Perfect meal there Robert. I wasn't that hungry until these photos. WOW, do those beef plate ribs look inviting.:emoji_thumbsup: No one went hungry from that table. Curious about the baste you used. Any more details you could share?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky