Leaving electric smoking for charcoal/wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sc smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2013
South Carolina
I've been using my very old USSA vertical electric smoker for years and it's held up well, no breakdowns/parts to replace.  My family want to get me a new smoker for my birthday and I want to get a charcoal/wood burner. 

They've asked me to pick one out and I'm down to either a WSM (18.5) or an Oklahoma Joe Highlander. I know they are two very different animals (vertical vs. horizontal).  Reading posts it seems like the WSM is easier to regulate the temp and a new comer to charcoal/wood would be happier with the WSM.  I'm not afraid of tackling a horizontal smoker but don't want to get one, then discouraged and wish I'd had the other.

What do you folks recommend for someone just starting with charcoal/wood?  Vertical or horizontal?  Or is there another smoker I should look at? 

I read somewhere getting good at using a charcoal/wood smoker is like getting into the baseball hall of fame...you have to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. 

Thanks for any input, I'm leaning towards the WSM.

They are two different animals.

You will not be disappointed with the Weber Smokey Mountain (if you can afford it go with the 22.5 inch model).  There are people here on the sight who have the Oak. Joe and love it. 

I am sure they all will come along and give the pros and cons whereas you can make a decision as to which one you prefer.

Good luck with your research,

John

Lean a little farther the WSM won't let you down! Overnight cooks no problem fill it and go,I have the 18.5 and only rarely want for a 22.5.The only thing that's a real issue is brisket so I chop a hunk off and wrap it before bed and and eat it for breakfast!

I have no first hand experience with the ok joes, but I do know webers will last.  I live in a wet climate, and mine is still in great shape.  Hope this helps, good luck with which ever you get.  The only bad choice is not getting one.

I had a WSM for a number of years and it gave me a great product. I now use a horizontal stick burner and I love it. The learning curve is not as big of a problem as some will say. Just read the info on this site and pay attention when you are setting up to cook and during the cook. It's great fun. Who doesn't enjoy playing with fire. Anyone will tell you that a horizontal stick burner gives a more authentic flavor to the meat. They also will have more room for meat than a WSM.

Give the offset a try. It's a great way to go.

Either one will give you great BBQ. I think most will agree the flavor from just wood would give you a more authentic BBQ taste.The thing you have to decide is do you want to stay by the smoker & tend the fire, or do you want to be able to leave it for hours, even overnight without checking on it at all. You can fill the WSM up with charcoal & wood & get constant temps & nice smoke for hours. My 22.5 will run 22 hours @ 225 without adding any charcoal or wood. 

Al

I have not personally used either but have heard good things about both. I have used other Weber products before though and they were always good quality. Whichever way you decide to go I am sure you will be having a good time.

Thanks for all of your responses.

I think my wife has made up my mind.  I mentioned to her that the OK Joe 'weighs about 200 pounds and would stay on the patio.  It's  not something you can pick up and store on the porch'.  The silence was deafening.
no_no.gif
 If we had room in the garage that would be

an option but she's trying to clear that out too.

Once she decides I'll be doing a lot of reading and asking a lot of questions.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all of your responses.

I think my wife has made up my mind.  I mentioned to her that the OK Joe 'weighs about 200 pounds and would stay on the patio.  It's  not something you can pick up and store on the porch'.  The silence was deafening.
no_no.gif
 If we had room in the garage that would be

an option but she's trying to clear that out too.

Once she decides I'll be doing a lot of reading and asking a lot of questions.

Thanks again.
I have a take on this: i was trying to decide which smoker to buy recently and my wife came to the conclusion that she knew exactly what i wanted and she said everything else doesn't matter get the one you want so you will be happy with it. She knew the one i wanted was expensive and was 650 lbs but she also know i would love every minute of using it (and i do) so she said go for it.

also she got a few things (clothes, etc.) as well which greased the skids as it were.

Get the one you want! i know the WSM is an awesome smoker but as fun as it is to me its not as fun as my offset. just my $0.02

Happy Smoking

phatbac (Aaron)

The search is over.  It's a Highland.  We were in Lowe's and saw their price match + 10% off program.  Talked to the sales lady who did some comparing and said , 'yep, they're the same', so I got mine for the Walmart price plus 10% more off.  In all honesty I don't think they were the same but too late it's mine now. (WM add says 10" wheels mine says 11")

The search is over.  It's a Highland.  We were in Lowe's and saw their price match + 10% off program.  Talked to the sales lady who did some comparing and said , 'yep, they're the same', so I got mine for the Walmart price plus 10% more off.  In all honesty I don't think they were the same but too late it's mine now. (WM add says 10" wheels mine says 11")
Good Luck with it

Richie

Sorry, have to edit my post on the Highland.  The wheels are 10" on the new one, don't know where I saw 11".

Congratulations, man. That's a good selection and a good price. It shouldn't be too much trouble to move around, as long as it's level. Mine weighs in at 800# and she sits right where everybody ran out of breath. Thank goodness it's within 6" of where I originally wanted it. Get her seasoned and give us some great pics of your first cook on it. Joe

Congrats on the new OK Joe!  Sounds like you got a great deal!  
icon14.gif

Be sure to show it off with some qview!

Red

I'll be sure to send pics and my experience with the Highland.

Now I'm getting ready to do the MODS most people have suggested (elbow, gasket, sealant, damper etc) but I can't find the high temperature gasket, where have you folks found it?  The HT sealant I can  get at Lowe's.  I've seen the MOD kits online, is that the best place?

Thanks

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky