Found a Dimond in the rough? or a lump of coal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Oceantoad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 26, 2022
I saw this at the side of the road for trash pickup. It was real early so I didn't want to bother the homeowners to get the story why it's being tossed out. My immediate thought is to make it into a cold smoker. Please look at the pics and let me know what will be the best decision in moving forward. Gut it completely and then line it with plywood? Line it with plywood without gutting it? Leave it as is? Or take it back out to the road? I already have an offset smoker that I have used for direct grilling, and offset smoking. I'm looking at getting into some cold smoking. This is also a vertical chamber and my offset is horizontal.
Now lets talk smoke production. Should I go with a smoke generator attached to the side? Go with a hotplate and cast iron pan in the bottom? Or offset firebox? I'm looking at any and all suggestions for this. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20231204_101127.jpg
    20231204_101127.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231204_101143.jpg
    20231204_101143.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 46
I had that same thought when I saw the interior pic. Older (think 40/50s and early 60s) refrigerators typically had an enameled or porcelain steel interior and would work just fine.

I see not using the original lining due to it being plastic. What if I lined the interior with wood? It would be a stand up wood lined chest for cold smoking.

• Sad
Reactions: Fueling Around
Not sure about using this as a smoker. A charcuterie cabinet maybe?

JC :emoji_cat:
JC, what did you mean by a charcuterie cabinet? I've heard of a charcuterie board.

I see not using the original lining due to it being plastic. What if I lined the interior with wood? It would be a stand up wood lined chest for cold smoking.
The original plastic lining is glued in place by the foam used to insulate the cabinet. Neither the plastic liner or the foam insulation are good for use as a smoker.

Not sure about using this as a smoker. A charcuterie cabinet maybe?

JC, what did you mean by a charcuterie cabinet? I've heard of a charcuterie board.
Many of the traditional Italian & Spanish cured meats require a controlled temperature and humidity environment cabinet to process these delicacies.

Reactions: JC in GB
The original plastic lining is glued in place by the foam used to insulate the cabinet. Neither the plastic liner or the foam insulation are good for use as a smoker.

Many of the traditional Italian & Spanish cured meats require a controlled temperature and humidity environment cabinet to process these delicacies.
Thanks John, I had no idea. I only heard the word charcuterie being used describing a board or plate with cuts of meat and cheese, maybe some fruit and crackers on display.

Check out this thread from indaswamp indaswamp

His charcutier chamber is that of legend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky