Kingsford Charcoal on Sale

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Kingsford went away from the 20 bags and it's now 18.6. Same number of briquettes in the bags just they weigh less and burn longer with the new technology they used to formulate it.

Kingsford went away from the 20 bags and it's now 18.6. Same number of briquettes in the bags just they weigh less and burn longer with the new technology they used to formulate it.
That, and like everything else these days the price stays the same but the quantity decreases in small increments.  A half gallon of ice cream used to be just that and a bag of chips used to be 16 oz.

Looking to stock up on briquette or lump for the winter.  Does anyone know when Lowes and HD put their summer products on sale?  Maybe Labor day?  

That, and like everything else these days the price stays the same but the quantity decreases in small increments.  A half gallon of ice cream used to be just that and a bag of chips used to be 16 oz.

Looking to stock up on briquette or lump for the winter.  Does anyone know when Lowes and HD put their summer products on sale?  Maybe Labor day?  
Weberkettleman, Lowes and HD follow the exact same pattern every year putting their charcoal on sale.  Lowes is almost always first, followed by HD.  HD will undercut Lowes by 10-12 cents.  Lowes always seems to limit their purchases.  This past year was the first time I've seen a limit on purchases at HD. Just pay cash and make more than one trip or go to several locations.  I have three HDs within equal driving distance of my home. 

For the last few years the sales have involved two packs (now 18.6 lbs each) for just under $10 for the holiday sales.  The first sale and the last sale can be the same price or higher.   

First sale: usually around the middle of April.  Can come a little earlier or later.  If I need charcoal I usually start checking online websites weekly on Fridays around the first of April to catch the sale.

Second Sale: Memorial Day weekend period.

Third Sale: July 4th period.

Fourth Sales: Labor Day period.

Last Sale: Thanksgiving period. 

I always check the grocery store outdoor cooking section after Labor Day.  I've found some amazing deals HD and Lowes can't touch for clearance charcoal. 

Weberkettleman, Lowes and HD follow the exact same pattern every year putting their charcoal on sale.  Lowes is almost always first, followed by HD.  HD will undercut Lowes by 10-12 cents.  Lowes always seems to limit their purchases.  This past year was the first time I've seen a limit on purchases at HD. Just pay cash and make more than one trip or go to several locations.  I have three HDs within equal driving distance of my home. 

For the last few years the sales have involved two packs (now 18.6 lbs each) for just under $10 for the holiday sales.  The first sale and the last sale can be the same price or higher.   

First sale: usually around the middle of April.  Can come a little earlier or later.  If I need charcoal I usually start checking online websites weekly on Fridays around the first of April to catch the sale.

Second Sale: Memorial Day weekend period.

Third Sale: July 4th period.

Fourth Sales: Labor Day period.

Last Sale: Thanksgiving period. 

I always check the grocery store outdoor cooking section after Labor Day.  I've found some amazing deals HD and Lowes can't touch for clearance charcoal. 
Thanks for the info, I will keep my eyes open especially at the grocery stores. 

Fyi. Anytime i see bags of lump charcoal ripped opn i ask them if they give it to me half off and they always do. So i usually get their lump bags for $7 and its typically completely full

I grabbed a six double bags(12) today to get me through the winter.

On the ripped bags, my local HD stores give 50% off, but it happens whenever the person maintaining the department notices them. So you have to be in the right place at the right time to catch it.

I grabbed a six double bags(12) today to get me through the winter.

On the ripped bags, my local HD stores give 50% off, but it happens whenever the person maintaining the department notices them. So you have to be in the right place at the right time to catch it.
Good to know.  Any clue on when the grills and accessories go on sale?  I need two new grates and right now they are $20 ea...  

I'm in California, so we don't suffer the wintertime blues when everything bbq related disappears from the store shelves. The bbq departments shrinks by 25-33%, but there is always a selection of charcoal, replacement parts and accessories to choose from.  
241.png

Most of the stock clearance sales should happen after Labor Day or whenever the stores receive their Xmas stock. 
icon_eek.gif

Good to know.  Any clue on when the grills and accessories go on sale?  I need two new grates and right now they are $20 ea...  
Have you tried Amazon for the grates?

Last edited:
Hey Gang,

I bought Kingsford 2 x 18.6lb at HomeDepot for $9.99 on Thursday 5/25/17, then saw it on sale at Academy for $7.99 on Friday 5/28/17.

You gotta love it!

Happy Memorial Day to All.

John, Texas Coast

Hey Gang,

I bought Kingsford 2 x 18.6lb at HomeDepot for $9.99 on Thursday 5/25/17, then saw it on sale at Academy for $7.99 on Friday 5/28/17.

You gotta love it!

Happy Memorial Day to All.

John, Texas Coast
TC, thanks for the update. I was by Lowes today and they had the stuff everywhere! Garden, lumber, front of store and entrance.  I should pick some up but I'm still working on my 40 bags that I got in 2015.  It's hard to believe it''s been two years since my last post.   I may pick up 10 bags this spring. 

Was at Walmart this am, have the 2 - 15 lbs bags of Kingsford for 7.88   ............... I previously bought 20 bags at home depot, just lettin you all know

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky