thin flank steaks ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
was at the latin meat market when they opened t7. had flank on sale for $6.99/lb. Saw a nice "thickish one was about 2.5 lb. Had the marinade pre mixed similar to most I've learned on here. Went to open the package and get into marinade in a lb. zip lock. Pulled the steak out and I'll be G'Damned if it wasn't 2 thinner steaks in a package not labeled. So in to the marinade they both go. figure I'll freeze one for fajitas another day.
The question. I know hot and fast. was going to light the smokey joe, but with them so thin am thinking real hot griddle. it'll just be two of us with some tater tots and what not.
Sound ok in thinking?

Reactions: Steve H and mr mac
Since it's thin what about a meat roll instead? Something different
good thought. have to revisit when they come out of the bath. The bigger, which we ill eat tonight might be too thick. I'm all for rolling up a fatty, but that might employ the WSM, which i was trying to avoid since i also bought a slab of beef ribs for the weekend.

good thought. have to revisit when they come out of the bath. The bigger, which we ill eat tonight might be too thick. I'm all for rolling up a fatty, but that might employ the WSM, which i was trying to avoid since i also bought a slab of beef ribs for the weekend.
pound it out so it is thinner, maybe do a rouladen?

Mmmmmm rouladen!!! Love that stuff!

Reactions: Steve H and clifish
Im all for rolling one up... Im a big fan of filling with onions, peppers and feta cheese! Even if it can just be folded over and "zippered" together with toothpics!

Ooh-wee had totally forgotten about Rouladen for 20-30 years. I just happen to have some frozen flank steak. Ex mother in law from lots of years back used to make it and it is one of those foods that kinda don't sound right but when the flavors are melded together, the finished product is more than exceptional to me. I may have her recipe somewhere. Yep, found her original recipe in an old hand written notebook. She used round steak, but I am sure flank would work similar. Myself, I don't think it would taste right without the dill pickle baked in mixing with all the other flavors. JMO
I will definitely be making this soon. Thanks for sharing for the reminder, and to all for keeping the older threads alive for all of us to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
was at the latin meat market when they opened t7. had flank on sale for $6.99/lb. Saw a nice "thickish one was about 2.5 lb. Had the marinade pre mixed similar to most I've learned on here. Went to open the package and get into marinade in a lb. zip lock. Pulled the steak out and I'll be G'Damned if it wasn't 2 thinner steaks in a package not labeled. So in to the marinade they both go. figure I'll freeze one for fajitas another day.
The question. I know hot and fast. was going to light the smokey joe, but with them so thin am thinking real hot griddle. it'll just be two of us with some tater tots and what not.
Sound ok in thinking?
Well, like a drunk friend at a bar, i asked advice and did it the way i wanted. 8 hours in a marinade bag with the usual marinade suspects. Fired up the smokey Joe 14 with a hot bed of coals.
about 5 minutes a side. close to over cooked but real good eats.

flank slice.jpg

flank grill.jpg

Next time blow the ash off the top bed of coals and cook it directly on top of the charcoal 2-3 mins per side.

Edited to say only do this with lump charcoal not briquettes.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: fxsales1959
You should try it. Pickle is optional. Not really a lot of work. We have it at least a few times a year.
yeah I think I'd have to try it without the pickle first.
Well, like a drunk friend at a bar, i asked advice and did it the way i wanted. 8 hours in a marinade bag with the usual marinade suspects. Fired up the smokey Joe 14 with a hot bed of coals.
about 5 minutes a side. close to over cooked but real good eats.

View attachment 683320

View attachment 683321
Looks like it turned out good from here

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky