How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hi All! Just received my MES 30" this week. Got it seasoning right now. Bought at Lowe's (online, $224. + free shipping). Its 14 degrees here in OH, but from what I've read, these things are GREAT to use in cold weather. I have a propane smoker, but honestly, I never got the hang of it...probably because I didn't invest the time it in that it required. From reviews and word-of-mouth, it seems this MES is a "no-brainer", set-n-go type of smoker. Right up my alley!

This chick never thought she'd be EXCITED to use a smoker. And as a newbie I can't wait to learn from you all!
It's a great cold weather smoker. I smoked an 8 pound pork butt, 10 pounds of bologna, and a whole chicken in mine on Tuesday while it was 10-20 degrees outside. It took a little longer to warm up but never wavered once it got there.

I received a 30" one for Christmas. Seasoned it soon after and did my first 10lb pork butt the weekend after Christmas. I have never smoked any meat before but the pork turned out really good though I took it out after 12 hours at 225 with the meat still only at about 175 degrees. Used half and half apple and hickory wood chips. Adding about 1/2 cup of chips every hour to hour and a half.

Before and after pictures of the pork butt are attached. Will try to get better pictures when I do the next smoke.

Reactions: 2cansam

Just purchased a MES 30 and have it seasoned but have not smoked anything in it yet. Hopefully we can get the temps in the high teens this weekend and I can get it going.
-7 near Chicago recently and we made spatched chicken and two slabs of ribs for lunch. These things are very well insulated. I haven't needed to even at these extremes but some say to warm up the controller box with a hairdryer if it won't boot. Getting up to temp hasn't been a problem. My recently purchased 30 actually runs hot in "normal" weather. The outside cold helped equalize the controller/Maverick temps.

I received a 30" one for Christmas. Seasoned it soon after and did my first 10lb pork butt the weekend after Christmas. I have never smoked any meat before but the pork turned out really good though I took it out after 12 hours at 225 with the meat still only at about 175 degrees. Used half and half apple and hickory wood chips. Adding about 1/2 cup of chips every hour to hour and a half.

Before and after pictures of the pork butt are attached. Will try to get better pictures when I do the next smoke.
Looks real nice aezell !!!

Would have pulled better if you waited until the IT was about 205°.

Here's a whole bunch of "How to" Step by Steps if you're interested:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Looks real nice aezell !!!

Would have pulled better if you waited until the IT was about 205°.

Here's a whole bunch of "How to" Step by Steps if you're interested:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear
I wanted to wait a while but the family wanted to eat especially after smelling it for 12 hours
icon_eek.gif
 I did bump up the temp on the smoker to 250 for the last hour or so to try to push it over the plateau and to make sure it was safe. Thanks for the feedback!

Looks good, After 12 hours I would have gone ahead and waited just a bit longer for pulled. My #2 son is bad about wanting to pull to quickly

But I understand a hungry mob 

Gary

Next time, I would probably try bumping up the temp and wrapping it in foil to finish it. There's always next time!
Hi, just a word on your cook. I  have fallen into the same problem of hungry folks and food that is not ready. Here are a couple of things to thank  about. If you want to eat at 5pm try to finish the cook at 2pm Figure your butt to take about 1.5 hours per lb. It is not going to pull before the IT is at  Minn of 195 but Most like 200 to 205.That is just the start. Don't

rush it.  Letting the meat  rest is essential. Figure you are going to have a stall at about 160 or there abouts for several hours. It's a good thing in my opinion. The meat is rendering and breaking down. Foiling at 160 helps the stall, but like I said I anticipate and expect it. 

There are two schools of thought hot and fast or low and slow. If you and your family are not going to be able to wait bump the heat up from the beginning. next time try 235 or 245. As you use your MES you will get us to it and feel comfortable smoking your meat overnight.

I hope you have a AMPS  filling a chip tray all day is not fun. The AMPS lets you have good smoke up to 12 hours. Todd Johnson invented the smoking tray and sells it . He is a great guy and available for your questions. How often can you ask the CEO a question. He will ship it for free It's like 34.00 dollars. Here is a shot of a lit one ready to go in the smoker.

I live in Dinwiddie so I know It was cold during your smoke. Another reason to not fill the chip tray.

Good luck on your next smoke.

Thanks jted. Looking up info on AMPS right now. It was OK to add chips every hour the first time. Pay my dues and all that. But I don't want to get up in the middle of the night to do it. 
nonono2.gif

I have a MES 30" model I've been using for the last 5 years. Just join the forum yesterday and learning all of the acronyms.

Seeing the Modification thread I ordered AMPS and some dust. Going to look at mail boxes and duct work. : )

I have a MES 30" model I've been using for the last 5 years. Just join the forum yesterday and learning all of the acronyms.

Seeing the Modification thread I ordered AMPS and some dust. Going to look at mail boxes and duct work. : )
I hope you ordered the AMNS, not the AMPS, because the AMPS is for pellets.

My first time I did a butt was when I got my MES30 a few years ago. I fell victim to the instruction manual that came with the MES. It gives a recipe for the pork butt and tells you to cook until it reaches 175° F. After seeing the smoker on QVC a lot (and them showing the pulled pork) I assumed the instructions were for that. Sadly, that is when I discovered that 175° F was not Pulled Pork. It was at that time that I did a search for pulled pork on the internet and found SMF and found the correct temp for getting the pork to pull. I learned that it should be at least 200° F and up to about 225° F.  I found that a pork butt only cooked to 175 had too much fat throughout the butt when sliced. Had a great flavor but was too fatty. Thank goodness I found SMF to set me on the right path. As far as pork butt goes, the only way I will ever eat it again is after it has reached the "Pulled" temp and all the fat has been rendered off (the fat is still there but as a liquid and spread all throughout the pork to add that liquid goodness to every bite. Don't get me wrong, I love the taste of pork fat but prefer it as crispy fried pieces by trimming the pork and pan frying till crispy, or as the fat on BACON!!!

Also through this site I learned about the AMNS (Todd had not come out with the AMNPS yet), so I got one of those. When he came out with the AMNPS he offered to even exchange my AMNS for the new and improved AMNPS, but I declined as I mainly got my AMNS for cold smoking stuff like cheese, spices, pork belly (to later slice and cook as bacon), and whatever else you can think of that you may want to smoke but not cook. I really like cold smoking rock salt, putting it into my salt grinder and freshly grinding on my food to get that good ole smoke flavor on other food that were not smoked in the first place. Since then, I have decided to also use my AMNS smoking meats too, but love the dust rather than pellets and so I too have gone with the rural mail box and dryer vent set up.

I'm looking to purchase an electric smoker and am considering the MES. one negative that I've heard/read is that it needs to be plugged directly into an outlet. Is this the case?
I bought a heavy 25' extension cord and it works fine so far. But it's cold outside. I'll see how it does this summer. I live in an older house and I'm very limited on outside outlets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky