How Many Licks Does it Take...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
The world may never know.

But I can tell you that a Recteq 1250 can fit six (6) ten (10) pound Butts.

20240323_210920.jpg

20240323_211620.jpg

Last edited:
That's a pile of pork !
Yes it is, and I've two more butts to cook tomorrow when these are done.
I bought a 79.8lb case of eight butts at a nice price.
Five are sold to people I work with at $25. a pop, two go to neighbors free of charge and one for my family.

I told my wife, "See, I should've bought the RT 2500, I could've smoked all eight at once."

Last edited:
That's what we call slap full!
Do you have to rotate them around to keep temps even?
Not yet, cook is only an hour and a half along.
But I do plan on rotating the outer edges inwards at about hour six or seven.
I'm doing two hours on LO for max smoke, then going to 225° for a long, slow night.

Nice! Bet those were great! Now ya got me thinking....bet I can fit 16 or more in my smokehouse.....Hmmmm.....the fire dept. no longer does their July 4th fund raiser.....and people are still craving butts.....That'd be a quick $4-500 bucks!

Reactions: chilerelleno
Dang chiler that is a lot of pork! That’s a new kind of pop up…..whole smoked pork shoulder to go!

Nice! Bet those were great! Now ya got me thinking....bet I can fit 16 or more in my smokehouse.....Hmmmm.....the fire dept. no longer does their July 4th fund raiser.....and people are still craving butts.....That'd be a quick $4-500 bucks!
Bet they will be great!
I'm thinking at least 14-15 hours total, so maybe 12:00-1:00pm tomorrow.
I'm not really making any money on these, basically doing them at cost of ice, bags, meat, spices and pellets.

Guys at work have been repeatedly requesting that I smoke Butts or Briskets for them, finally gave in, next time I'm adding in my time.

Dang chiler that is a lot of pork! That’s a new kind of pop up…..whole smoked pork shoulder to go!
Yes it is, like Jim said, "... it's slap full."
60lbs of Butts and barely a fingers width between them.
I'd have a hard time throwing some sausage around or between them.

I tell ya what, I'd need to charge $35.-$40. for a 6-8lb butt to make money doing it.
And that is less than what the BBQ shops charge.

HELL YEAAA...

I got the lil side gig going as well... with snack sticks at work... Just bought 6 butts yesterday to satisfy their needs.... They ask all the time when the next batc is coming out...

So, HELL YEA on both accounts...

Yes it is, like Jim said, "... it's slap full."
60lbs of Butts and barely a fingers width between them.
I'd have a hard time throwing some sausage around or between them.

I tell ya what, I'd need to charge $35.-$40. for a 6-8lb butt to make money doing it.
And that is less than what the BBQ shops charge.
The local place up the road charges 18ish a lb for pulled pork……

• Wow
Great looking smoke John. Looks like you got all your butts in a row. Please show us the end result of you pulling your pork. The pork butts that is. LOL

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky