MES with Cold Smoker Attachment -- Am I doing it wrong? Ways to not smell like smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes. I bring the meat into the garage and dry it there. After a few hours to days, the meat stops spreading the smoke smell as much and I can bring it inside. Briskets are less bad because I only smoke them in the beginning of the cook.
I can't be the only one that has questions about this? I get the "after a few hours" part. I don't get the "to days" part. You mean to tell me, you smoke a pork shoulder lets say, and it stays in the garage for a few days? Before you eat it? Or do you freeze it or something? I thought after about 3-4 days, it was getting past safe to eat?

Besides that, I prefer to eat it hot and fresh! And even after 2 days in the fridge, if you warm up some pulled pork the whole kitchen is smelling like smoked pork again lol.

I get the sensitivities though, I know some people are allergic to stuff. But the new wife suggestion was already made...soo... LOL

I can't be the only one that has questions about this? I get the "after a few hours" part. I don't get the "to days" part. You mean to tell me, you smoke a pork shoulder lets say, and it stays in the garage for a few days? Before you eat it? Or do you freeze it or something? I thought after about 3-4 days, it was getting past safe to eat?

Besides that, I prefer to eat it hot and fresh! And even after 2 days in the fridge, if you warm up some pulled pork the whole kitchen is smelling like smoked pork again lol.

I get the sensitivities though, I know some people are allergic to stuff. But the new wife suggestion was already made...soo... LOL
This is for snack sticks. Cured and cooked meat, with water activity likely under 0.85Aw (based on my post-cook calculations). As such, it's shelf stable, much like beef jerky and the hanging is to get it dryer and maybe equalize moisture a bit. It tastes better afterwards.

I certainly wouldn't do this for a pork shoulder or brisket or anything, lol.

Glad you got it dialed in. I've been using the attachment for years. I also use the router control unit to decrease the amount of smoke, etc. The one other thing I do is after the attachment starts smoking pretty good, I turn it off and the wood continues to lightly smoke. Usually an hour later I turn back on. And I learned the difficult way, do not fill the chimney of the attachment more than 1/2 way, or it will not burn well, if at all.

Glad you got it dialed in. I've been using the attachment for years. I also use the router control unit to decrease the amount of smoke, etc. The one other thing I do is after the attachment starts smoking pretty good, I turn it off and the wood continues to lightly smoke. Usually an hour later I turn back on. And I learned the difficult way, do not fill the chimney of the attachment more than 1/2 way, or it will not burn well, if at all.
Thanks! Yep, also took your advice and got a router attachment and an on/off cycle timer. I ended up using both, and even on the minimal router setting and a 30sec on/60 sec off, the attachment still created a good amount of smoke! It seemed like good smoke though, but it was a bit heaver than I usually like. (Although I'm also new at this, so I'm just trying to get thin and blue to start).

Or I could use the timer as you do, and when I notice heavy smoke, tell it to go off for an hour and then cycle every hour from then on...

In any case, I think for recipes where I want a heavy smoke, I may still use it. Nice to have options! :)

True. Sometimes I use a different flavored wood chips in the attachment, and a different one in the tube inside the smoker.

Reactions: geostriata
Don't change wives....that's expensive!
I think the outer clothing absorbs more smoke than inner so it could be enough to just have one shirt and jacket dedicated for outdoor smoking and then you put on your "indoor clothes" before bringing in the meat.
And hair absorbs a lot of smoke. Make sure you shampoo before bedtime. Good reason to wear your hair short....you can shampoo quickly with a bar of soap in a sink basin as you come in.

Don't change wives....that's expensive!
I think the outer clothing absorbs more smoke than inner so it could be enough to just have one shirt and jacket dedicated for outdoor smoking and then you put on your "indoor clothes" before bringing in the meat.
And hair absorbs a lot of smoke. Make sure you shampoo before bedtime. Good reason to wear your hair short....you can shampoo quickly with a bar of soap in a sink basin as you come in.
You're right! I think it's mostly the hair!

I've been changing my clothes, and it helps but feels incomplete. I think if I wear a hat when I visit the smoker, that'll help a lot. Thanks!

Are you also having to take care to avoid smoke smell when you get in the house? If so, that makes me happy I'm not the only one, haha.

This is for snack sticks. Cured and cooked meat, with water activity likely under 0.85Aw (based on my post-cook calculations). As such, it's shelf stable, much like beef jerky and the hanging is to get it dryer and maybe equalize moisture a bit. It tastes better afterwards.

I certainly wouldn't do this for a pork shoulder or brisket or anything, lol.
Oh jeez, I'm sorry lol. Thank you for the clarification.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky