Hobbies other than smoking/cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Me now days is just getting up in the morning then deciding if I'm going to do anything today or is it going to be just another bad day. If I can I fish some crab some and go camping where I can just sit and smoke something.

Warren

Not a big deal, but could a staff member tell me what happened to the pics I posted?

Well I'm away from home hauling gravel from spring to late fall and hauling logs from Dec to March. Afraid that doesn't leave a lot of time for hobbies.
When I'm home I try to spend as much time as possible with Miss Linda, my old hound Roxy, and my new (and first) grandson Orion.
In the little time left I try real hard to get some shooting and hunting in.
Believe me, all this is enough to keep an old man like me going pretty steady.
Gary

i do alot of different things . Love wood working . My passion is dog training . Should have made that my job . Anyway , in the last 10 years I've been restoring old 3 wheelers ,,
These were scrap metal at best when I got them
P1010005 (2).JPG 1121141503.jpg
1110121612a.jpg

I'm pretty much a gym rat. I like to work out, swimming, & running, but with the new hip running is out, so now I walk, swim, & go to the gym. I used to shoot a lot, but range time & ammo is expensive & I'd rather spend the money on a couple of racks of ribs or a butt.
Al

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Add another woodworker to the mix. I mostly enjoy furniture building but recently have gotten into carving. Its mostly letters and very small reliefs but my end game would be a big green man carving. Hoping in the near future to do a Maloof lowback chair in walnut and curly maple.

Reactions: SonnyE
When I have time my favorite hobby is glassblowing. With 2 little ones (boys 2.5 and 9 months) at home and a full time job I get into the studio about once a month but it's better than nothing. I love sculpting but it's much easier to sell glasses, mugs and vases than sculpture and they are fun to make too. Here is a glass corn on the cob I made during a live demonstration at the Minnesota State Fair last year.
20170903_085349.jpg
For some reason a lot of my sculpture leans towards food. I have made glass bacon, cheeseburgers, hot dogs and tacos in the past as well.

Wow - lots of diverse interests! I'm fairly simple - hiking in places like the western National Parks, and of course, traveling to them in our RV.

Used to play allot of hockey and softball. As I got older it was tough keeping up with the younger folks. Coached youth baseball, softball, and soccer for a few years until the kids grew up. Now it seems like I spend most of my free time getting rid of stuff that was left at the house by the kids. Also used to dabble with wood, but the hands can't take it anymore. Golf is starting to look good to me.
Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Auto Mechanics - I have a 2005 F150 4wd... In 2015 just about everything needed replacing including the engine... Its true Found On Road Dead!

Gardening - growing herbs for my cooking habit...

Walking the beach in the off tourist months!

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Summer I work too much but it is normally working on old tractors and gardening besides smoking/grilling. Fall is various hunting seasons and winter is ice fishing as many weekends as possible

I have worked my through so many hobbies in my lifetime I'd be hard pressed to list them all. At my advanced age I don't do much mechanical/gear head stuff anymore, not a lot of woodworking either though I still have all the equipment for when the need arises. I still do some motorcycle touring though the tent camping part has gone by the boards. I garden a little bit and occasionally cook up a batch of EtOH for personal consumption.

Well, cooking and gardening are pretty obvious choices, so to go a bit farther out I enjoy running a watershed advocacy group, doing things like organizing volunteer events to do things like clean up litter, remove invasive plant species, and plant native species.

I like to research subjects online, it's like a gigantic Easter egg hunt. And since I'm a dweeb, I like to code HTML in Notepad, like this:

https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuk...a8329359659eOrdmpXl/fosrmaptable_w_topos.html

Wait, there are other hobbies? :eek:

Well with a name like Troutman, you can pretty well guess I like to wet a hook !!!

Steve

We have awesome trout fishing on two rivers: the white and the north fork river in northern Arkansas. Gotta buddy’s that guides on the river, I can hook you up!

i stay very busy! I coach high school football, hunt, fish, and do woodworking. My son plays high school baseball and my daughter shows our horse. Did I say I stayed busy? Oh... And I occasionally get to smoke something on the smoker.

I've done all the outdoor stuff in the past. Still enjoy remote camping, but that's about as outdoorsy as I get these days. I do miss shooting. Used to go to the range at least once a week. Once the price of ammo went up, I was done shooting targets.

Compared to everyone here, I'm a major nerd. Why? I'm finishing my first novel. Actually, that's not quite accurate. I finished it in Dec 2016, re-wrote it three times by the end of March 2017, then had four beta readers give me feedback. They loved the story but not my writing style.

I picked up a book called "Self-editing For Fiction Writers" and studied it like a flight manual. I made every mistake new writer's make. The novel needed another complete re-write and a new ending. I began the re-write last July and should finish, hopefully, by the end of this week. The same beta readers who read the first version have read parts of the re-write. They all agreed it is dramatically more readable and engaging.

A month ago my wife hands me a book called "Wired for Story," focused on the neurological processes that hook readers. It was a HUGE confidence booster for me because with my re-write I was already doing everything the book said to do.

I started writing the book to learn how to write a novel. It's been a fun journey at my keyboard. I already have the plot for two more novels based on the first one. Beyond that, I'll write the novels that have been floating around in my brain for decades while I worked to support my family.

Like I said.......I'm a nerd.

Last edited:
Reactions: jp61 and yankee2bbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky