Green Chile hot sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Finished up with another batch of sauce today. Got a nice 15 1/2 5 oz bottle yield. Quick run through I started a one gallon ferment about a month ago. Blend was approximately 20% serrano and 80% jalapeno. These were locally grown and both had significant heat. These weren't your run of th mill Kroger variety. Into the jar with a 3.5%sea salt brine and off to th dark basement cupboard.
PXL_20230814_191418093.MP.jpg
After a month you see how the peppers color dulls. Checked PH and was right at 3.0. Bonus no Kahm at all. Funny enough I've been getting least yeast formation by breaking the rules and leaving very little headspace.
PXL_20230906_153209600.MP.jpg
These gallon ferments make me wish for a Vitamix XL with the 1.5 gallon pitcher but can't justify the cost. I work two batches noting all flavor adjustments and then cross blend them . Here is the blended sauce off to the frig for an overnight rest. I find the flavor changes on some a lot overnight. Especially true of superhot blends with bitterness fading over night. On the right is leftover brine. It's tasty so I saved it for other uses. I did use some food coloring to have better aesthetics. Forgot to include it in labeling. Good thing I'm a home hack haha. Won't happen next time.
PXL_20230906_170931948.PORTRAIT.jpg
Here is everything bottled and labeled. I love my cartoony labels but decided to create a more professionally labeled like of what I call table sauces. Sauces that are straight forward peppers flavors that go with almost anything served at the table. Happy with the design but not super happy with the color of the labeling for this sauce. I'm learning the label program but it's a work in progress.
1000005211-01.jpeg
1000005208-01.jpeg
I really need to get a few new blends going now. At this point I have this, hAbsolutely Habanero and PeppeDILLard I'm hawking locally. Thanks for looking!

Nicely done on the sauce and labels! :emoji_thumbsup:
I love hot sauce, but just don't have it very often as I have ready access to green chilies year round and use diced chilies in place of the sauce.

Reactions: jcam222
Looks awesome Jeff! I bet it is a delicious sauce.
Thanks Steve! It's a pretty smooth sauce with a fair amount of heat. It has a pretty high pepper content compared to hotter sauces I think more. I still love my green blend with jalapeno and green scotch bonnet or habanero the most as I just love the flavor of those two.
Nicely done on the sauce and labels! :emoji_thumbsup:
I love hot sauce, but just don't have it very often as I have ready access to green chilies year round and use diced chilies in place of the sauce.
Thanks! I do love fried peppers on my foods too as well as some of the pickled ones my buddy gives me.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Finished up with another batch of sauce today. Got a nice 15 1/2 5 oz bottle yield. Quick run through I started a one gallon ferment about a month ago. Blend was approximately 20% serrano and 80% jalapeno. These were locally grown and both had significant heat. These weren't your run of th mill Kroger variety. Into the jar with a 3.5%sea salt brine and off to th dark basement cupboard. View attachment 675614After a month you see how the peppers color dulls. Checked PH and was right at 3.0. Bonus no Kahm at all. Funny enough I've been getting least yeast formation by breaking the rules and leaving very little headspace. View attachment 675615These gallon ferments make me wish for a Vitamix XL with the 1.5 gallon pitcher but can't justify the cost. I work two batches noting all flavor adjustments and then cross blend them . Here is the blended sauce off to the frig for an overnight rest. I find the flavor changes on some a lot overnight. Especially true of superhot blends with bitterness fading over night. On the right is leftover brine. It's tasty so I saved it for other uses. I did use some food coloring to have better aesthetics. Forgot to include it in labeling. Good thing I'm a home hack haha. Won't happen next time. View attachment 675617.
Here is everything bottled and labeled. I love my cartoony labels but decided to create a more professionally labeled like of what I call table sauces. Sauces that are straight forward peppers flavors that go with almost anything served at the table. Happy with the design but not super happy with the color of the labeling for this sauce. I'm learning the label program but it's a work in progress. View attachment 675618. View attachment 675619I really need to get a few new blends going now. At this point I have this, hAbsolutely Habanero and PeppeDILLard I'm hawking locally. Thanks for looking!
As always your sauce has a great presentation. Both of these peppers are on my top favorites list for flavor. This has to be a great flavor you have accomplished.
I to have started filling my ferments with very little head space, especially peppers. Lost several batches to mold, I'm sure some of my fault but less head space has allowed me to make it to the end of peppers fermenting now. Just jarred habs yesterday with about 1/4" space.
Keep up the sauce making, sauce ideas come to me evertime I see something new you have done. Thank you

Looks mighty good!

Jim
Thanks Jim!
As always your sauce has a great presentation. Both of these peppers are on my top favorites list for flavor. This has to be a great flavor you have accomplished.
I to have started filling my ferments with very little head space, especially peppers. Lost several batches to mold, I'm sure some of my fault but less head space has allowed me to make it to the end of peppers fermenting now. Just jarred habs yesterday with about 1/4" space.
Keep up the sauce making, sauce ideas come to me evertime I see something new you have done. Thank you
Thanks for the kind words! Post yours up too. I'm sure we can get ideas from yours as well. I've never got mold but have had heavy Kahm yeast a time or two.

Two adds to the ongoing ferments. Half gallon is 100% Red Savine Habanero from my garden. Quart is 85% Butch T Scorpion from my garden and 15% red hot banana. For me with the scorpion being fairly thin wall peppers the added thicker peppers help with a good low PH ferment result. That one is for several who've challenged me to sell them a much hotter sauce. Challenge accepted lol. I'll bottle it in smaller 3 oz bottles. I also plan on doing very little multi taste adjustments to it. These were added to a one gallon ferment of jalapeno and serrano for a batch 2 on that as I'm almost out o the first gallon in
1000005219-01.jpeg
two days.

Are you sure you're from Ohio Jeff. Those sauces look and sound incredible.

Point for sure
Chris

Are you sure you're from Ohio Jeff. Those sauces look and sound incredible.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! Yep Buckeye for sure. I've loved hot sauce since I was a little kid. My grandmother tried to break me of biting my nails by putting red hot on my fingertips. I found it to be quite delicious lol. Funny enough my neigbors youngest boy who's 6 loves all but the hottest of my sauces.

Reactions: gmc2003
I always look forward to your hot sauce posts! Your results always look excellent. Reminds me to be on the lookout for peppers to make some fermented sauce myself.

Do you use a food mill to remove seeds and skin when you process your sauce. I do and I'm pretty happy with the results, but it's extra work...

I notice you've added vinegar to this batch. Why did you do that this time? I understand that kills the lactobaccilli. Does it affect the flavor of the sauce?

Do you use a food mill to remove seeds and skin when you process your sauce. I do and I'm pretty happy with the results, but it's extra work...
I believe Jeff uses a vitamix blender for his sauces. He doesn't remove the skin or seeds if I remember correctly. I use a champion juicer for my sauces.

I always look forward to your hot sauce posts! Your results always look excellent. Reminds me to be on the lookout for peppers to make some fermented sauce myself.

I notice you've added vinegar to this batch. Why did you do that this time? I understand that kills the lactobaccilli. Does it affect the flavor of the sauce?
As Steve said I use a Vitamix leaving all seeds in and don't strain. I use vinegar mostly minor amounts for flavor although it can be used to adjust pH too. Whole I don't concern myself with leaving live cultures I read somewhere that it does not kill them. Far more likely that the Vitamix sheer heat pasteurized them.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky