Greek night, Pork Souvlaki , Lemon Rice, Couscous Greek Salad, added grilled Shrimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Greek night, Pork Souvlaki , Lemon Rice, Couscous Greek Salad, added grilled Shrimp

Had a pork loin roast , so chopped up in 1" cubes skewered them up ( these bamboo skewers are 12" long ) and into my marinate over night ( 18 hours )
Lemon juice, Oregano, oil, water and garlic, salt and pepper.

DSC_8300.JPG DSC_8302.JPG

I like my Donair sauce better then Tzatziki, so made a small batch of that. There is a trick to it , mix all ingredients than stir from the bottom and get the mixture rolling then quickly add the vinegar, and stop stirring and bring the spoon to the top. It sets right away. Just check the 3 pictures.

DSC_8304.JPG DSC_8305.JPG
DSC_8328.JPG

Made up the lemon rice , very nice flavour of the lemon and onions in the long grain rice
( i boil my rice with Turmeric and salt and sugar, the Turmeric gives it the nice yellow colour )
Kept it in the Q to stay warm

Made up the Couscous Greek salad, ( I had no Feta, and I do not care for it ) mozza cheese, leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red onion, diced tangerine, diced Kiwi, cukes , gr. peppers, oil, oregano, lemon juice, carrot ribbons, and couscous

DSC_8309.JPG
DSC_8310.JPG

DSC_8316.JPG

So 15 minutes before supper is ready , throw the souvlaki on the hot grill, then throw on the shrimp ( these had nothing to do with the Greek meal, but Mona's mom said she was not sure about the Souvlaki, It was all good once she tried one. just on her plate not wrapped in the pita, ha ha . But they all ate the shrimp also.

DSC_8314.JPG DSC_8315.JPG

Shrimp did not take long so removed and wrapped to keep warm, Pork doing good, every once in a while I would shake on lemon juice, the Q flared up real nice

DSC_8318.JPG DSC_8319.JPG
looking good, and smell just out of this world, I don't know why I wait so long to do these every time

DSC_8320.JPG

All ready so time to set up the countertop and ring the supper bell. . And Stand back

DSC_8321.JPG DSC_8322.JPG

DSC_8324.JPG
DSC_8325.JPG

DSC_8326.JPG

Set up so they can make their own Souvlaki wraps.

DSC_8329.JPG

DSC_8330.JPG

DSC_8331.JPG
DSC_8332.JPG DSC_8333.JPG

I was told there was no sauce for the shrimp, I said I not eatting any, dirty look my way. So made up a seafood sauce for the shrimp, That was close, lol

DSC_8335.JPG

Fixins for the souvlaki, diced tomato, and onions and chopped parsley, and my Donair sauce, and pita bread, was going to make some but Mona just bought a pack for her lunch, I will replace.

DSC_8337.JPG

Here is mine with the works, and asked Mona to hold for a close up for my Southern friends.

DSC_8338.JPG
DSC_8339.JPG

Well we did not even get to dessert as every one was pretty full.

And there is a little Greek meal for us on this Labour Day Monday

Hope you enjoyed and made it to the end.

Thanks for looking and hope everyone's Long Weekend was a good one

David

Attachments

• DSC_8336.JPG
    DSC_8336.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_8317.JPG
    DSC_8317.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 11
What seasoning(s) do you use? I use this, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar (I know, 2 acids), olive oil, in a ziplock overnight. I've worked in 3 greek restaurants in the past, but I can never recreate the marinade they used when making pans of chicken breasts and kabobs.

I can call out orders on the pass rail in greek. And a few "choice" words I remember.
20230904_195721.jpg

What seasoning(s) do you use? I use this, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar (I know, 2 acids), olive oil, in a ziplock overnight. I've worked in 3 greek restaurants in the past, but I can never recreate the marinade they used when making pans of chicken breasts and kabobs.

I can call out orders on the pass rail in greek. And a few "choice" words I remember.
View attachment 675403

Thanks for the comment

I also worked in Greek restaurants. Many years learning how to swear in Greek lol

We just used the basic, and the same as I did here. Lemon Juice , oil, water, dry oregano flakes and granulated garlic powder

It was as good as I remember. Love pork done this way.
It is really the Oregano that gives it that burst for me. This was just in a tray and submerged in the marinate for 18 hours .
I skewer them first as they are too slippery after the soak to stick on the sticks. lol

David

Reactions: DemonPit
Opa!
Now that's a great looking meal!

Ha Ha , that right John, Thanks for the love and the comment

It was pretty, ha ha
But yes it was a very nice meal, and I really missed having the pork done this way on the skewers and in the marinate.

And it has been a very long time for me to have a Souvlaki this way.
Just the smell of the pork and marinate on the open flames of the Q
" Fantastic. "

David

Reactions: chilerelleno
Just WOW David!! I LOVE Souvlaki and Mediterranean flavors overall. I would dive into that meal head first. A++ presentation and pics too.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Holy cow David you're getting way to fancy with you cooks for me. Everything looks excellent. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

P.S What no spuds, that's gotta be a first. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky