Cheesy Shrimp Cakes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
So tonight was something different for me. I've made shrimp patties before, but not with cheese. Plundered around on the interweb looking for ideas and found a couple that I liked so I sorta combined them.

Here's the rundown...
  • 1 quart of shrimp...about 1½ lbs. peeled and deveined
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • ⅓ cup Duke's mayo
  • ⅓ cup all purpose flour
  • Coarse salt & pepper to taste...maybe 1T of each
  • 2-3T of chopped parsley
20240305_161459[1].jpg

20240305_164459[1].jpg

Shrimp peeled, deveined, and chopped...
20240305_164217[1].jpg

Combine the shrimp, eggs, cheese, salt, pepper, parsley, & mayo in a bowl and stir to combine...
20240305_165135[1].jpg

Then add the flour and mix into a batter like consistency...
20240305_165556[1].jpg

Make patties and fry in a little oil. I used a ⅓ cup measuring spoon to scoop out the patties to fry...
20240305_173653[1].jpg

Fry until golden brown on both sides...
20240305_174058[1].jpg

20240305_174802[1].jpg

Meanwhile, I brought 4 cups of unsalted chicken broth to a boil and stirred in 1 cup of stone ground grits. Simmered, stirring frequently, for 45 minutes. Add extra broth as necessary...
20240305_172641[1].jpg

Stirred in 1 cup of ½ & ½ and simmered until thick and creamy...
20240305_174507[1].jpg

Next up is a brown gravy. I cheated here and used Pioneer brand dry mix, but I made it with unsalted beef broth. Once thickened, I added in an 8 oz. pack of sliced mushrooms I had sauteed...
20240305_181056[1].jpg

For a sauce for the shrimp cakes, I made a lemon aioli...
  • ½ cup Duke's mayo
  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • Juice from ½ lemon
  • Couple cloves of garlic pressed
Combine all in a bowl and chill. Served with collards from my freezer and now for those who have hung around, it's finally time to eat...
20240305_181745[1].jpg

This was definitely a homerun for me and my zoo and really can't think of anything I'd change. Everyone raved and I will do this again...

Looks delicious Charles! Not sure about the collards as I've never had them! But mouthwatering for sure.

Ryan

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks delicious Charles! Not sure about the collards as I've never had them! But mouthwatering for sure.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. I really believe you would like collards cooked like I do them. If you want to try them, I'd be glad to help you out with my recipe...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Shrimp cakes is a must try plus the aioli, Charles.
This northern boy does not like grits or greens.
That gravy over fried potatoes should be killer.
The aioli is something so easy to make and really takes the cakes up a notch. I understand about the grits and greens, they are southern things that I grew up eating. Never really liked the collards until I got older and figured out how I liked them cooked, but have always loved grits just about anyway they can be cooked.

Fir the gravy, this is what I used. I added fresh sauteed mushrooms...
1709726874103.png

Thanks Ryan. I really believe you would like collards cooked like I do them. If you want to try them, I'd be glad to help you out with my recipe...
I'll think about it. Can't say I wouldn't like them but if they are the consistency or have the texture of cooked spinach... I'm out.
I like your threads, full of information. Mine are the same way... they can always just look at the pics lol. Maybe after your introduction, a statement... " and now, the rest of the story. "

Ryan

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky