Got two rolling now!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks wonderful, I might have to learn how to ferment.
Thank you! With a bit of research and asking. It isn't hard to do.

*Fermenting hot sauce is a gateway to fermenting meats....

FWIW, the principles of low pH and salt used to inhibit bad microbial growth are fundamental to the processes.
Fermenting meats scares the crap out of me! I was set up to give it a try awhile back. But abandoned the try. Maybe some day.

Thank you! With a bit of research and asking. It isn't hard to do.

Fermenting meats scares the crap out of me! I was set up to give it a try awhile back. But abandoned the try. Maybe some day.
If you have not bought the yellow book by Stanley Marianski yet, do yourself a favor and get it. It is the single greatest investment you can make to demystify the entire process. The secret to how it works is the synergistic nature of the 4 safety hurdles. I've seen used books for $10 bucks.

Reactions: Steve H
looking forward to trying the powder.
Carolina Reaper / pineapple chips . I ground and added some turbinado sugar and mesquite powder . It's good . I use it as a rub .
20221105_071617.jpg
20221105_123153.jpg

And here goes the dill pickle hot sauce.

IMG_20231014_095241501.jpg

Draining while I'm getting things ready.

IMG_20231014_095959730_HDR (1).jpg

Not gonna lie. This looks evil!! Smells delicious though. This is just after running through the juicer. It is hot. But not overpowering. Has a subtle dill, garlicky taste.
I'll finish after I get back from doing some errands.

Reactions: 02ebz06
IMG_20231014_104806180.jpg

After adding:
1.5 cups pickle juice
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup brine from the ferment
3 large pickles
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
Processed with boat motor.
Let it set overnight.
Taste and adjust if needed. So far. It tastes very good.

If you have not bought the yellow book by Stanley Marianski yet, do yourself a favor and get it. It is the single greatest investment you can make to demystify the entire process. The secret to how it works is the synergistic nature of the 4 safety hurdles. I've seen used books for $10 bucks.
What's the book called? I was terrified of fermenting sauces and kraut and now I'm not. I know I'll take the leap at some point

View attachment 677990

Used the juicer after all. Got about 1/2 of a quart of sauce.

View attachment 677991

This time I dried the mash. 7 hours at 132 degrees.

View attachment 677992

I'll grind this in a bit.

View attachment 677994

To the sauce. I added:
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 tsp of worsy powder
1/4 tsp of hickory smoke
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp garlic powder.
Added 1/8 tsp of gum.
Mixed with the boat motor. And seeing if it needs more to thicken and suspend.
The taste is amazing. The smoke and worsy powder gave it a nice depth.
Love the add of Worcestershire, I have a sauce I'm planning that I'll use that in.

Reactions: Steve H
IMG_20231015_141304814.jpg

Done! The dill pickle hot sauce is unique. Really like it. Just not sure what I'm going to use it for. Other than veggies. Or fries. It is hotter then I thought it would be.
Now. The Red fresno hot sauce is my best yet. The introduction of the worsy powder. And liquid smoke really set it off. I had a few spoons of it while filling the jars. Medium heat. With a delicious flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky