Frozen TrTip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
The local butcher saved me an un-trimmed TriTip a few weeks ago that I’ve kept in the freezer. This weekend I decided to cook it using the SmokinAl SmokinAl frozen method that’s been fun to see and maybe contribute a different cut of meat to the discussion. My initial intent was to cook it brisket style, but…..chaos rules at my home right now and I had a hard time keeping multiple things on track, from kids painting the carpet because “it’s pretty” to wife “needing” to rearrange guest bedroom, again, I was just happy I ended with an edible meal with some notes to offer you. So, here it goes:
Started with a Really beautiful untrimmed TT frozen:
16689E1C-0C97-43C9-BA59-678E3480F911.jpeg

Salt and Cracked Pepper
A6820887-4EC5-4DDB-AD69-808E16D74B72.jpeg

Then onto pellet pooper, still frozen, with Oak in gifted Tube and oak in the hopper.
0C0C5BC4-10B1-4877-9DEA-81BC33BCF5D6.jpeg

My logic to leave untrimmed was to protect the meat and baste. TT isn’t like a brisket with a massive amount of fat, the “cap” is really pretty thin and in SD I would indirect cook them untrimmed because its not overwhelming fat and adds some great flavor.

Here is where things went sideways a bit. I put it on much later than I wanted. I planned on low heat , 250, but almost 2 hrs in I hadn’t hit IT of 70 yet. My wife wasn’t in the mood for my experiment, so I fired up the Weber with a full chimney, scrapped the brisket style ending, and set for indirect…another oak chunk in the mix.
A48AB076-C9BF-4441-B751-D7AD5E2989CD.jpeg

After that it went pretty quick. I hit an IT of 135 about an hour later…..I lost track of time running from one home event to the next. In between meat and “Honey Do” things I also did some asparagus and grill roasted some garlic for mashed potatoes “Whole 30” friendly.
094B37CF-DB89-4A90-8DAB-A1FBF73A4E8C.jpeg

564F50B7-3D86-4326-B622-11568B9144E1.jpeg

After a good rest, it looked and smelled incredible. Man, TT is a gift from God!
0CDC4374-F4DA-403F-95C1-0105240B67C6.jpeg
6BB9F789-0DD6-40F8-A74B-B578B4F87C11.jpeg

I did the cut of truth and was a bit disappointed. Where my probes were hit the desired doneness, but the thickness of the frozen meat, and potentially the need to put it into a high heat kettle, made that bullseye of med/well on the outside to the little pink bullseye, but decent smoke ring and you can see that nice thin layer of tasty fat on the bottom that saved this from a real tragedy!

E5F91429-2033-43BC-BBB5-DA9B22FFF056.jpeg

E8DAE25C-83FC-46BD-BFB1-A8FBE966F618.jpeg

FC21C3B2-A027-4DC6-A762-EF37E3503941.jpeg

This did taste amazing. The flavor was incredible, it was still very juicy and my daughter and wife crowded around to pick at the slices. My daughter wanted to take a picture…I was cutting up some “Burnt Ends”
5CC7DAA2-14CC-4853-9B9E-DA8201320F1D.jpeg

And the plate. Whole 30 truffle potatoes came out surprisingly good! If you’re curious let me know and I’ll share the recipe, but used coconut milk and melted ghee instead of butter and milk/sour cream. Asparagus on grill in foil with ghee and Olive Oil.

CD57EB5C-6D65-4481-958D-A0C31A4DE8E3.jpeg
63FF5BFA-0287-457C-87DD-8EC3712DEAC6.jpeg

Long thread, my apologies! The frozen technique worked, but for bigger cuts of meat I would hesitate doing this again, personally. Bouncing from the low to the high heat may have been the problem, just doing high indirect from the beginning may have better results causing a more rapid thaw. I think if I’d stuck with the brisket style this would have been incredible. Most of it was already over done🤣Should’ve just put the peddle to the metal and rode it out!

All in all great meal, fun experiment! Meat wasn’t ruined, so I’d call it a win!

Thanks for your time!
Jed

Looks pretty darn good from here Jed.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: bauchjw
There is nothing about that meal I wouldn’t be all over Jed, nice job my friend!

BTW, tell your daughter her pic is awesome! Love seeing the kiddos involved!

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw and bauchjw
I would eat that!!! Looks good to me. Sounds like a challenge with all the other stuff going on tho.

An idea: if you find yourself short on time. Try a SV cook. The timing in the SV is very forgiving. Ive done TT’s a few different ways with SV. Like SV to torch sear. SV then refrigerate then smoke back to 130.

I would Not do a TT like a brisket because I feel this cut deserves medium rare. But that’s just my opinion.

Nicely done, Jed. That tt looks fantastic!
Thank you Colin!
Looks pretty good. Glad it turned out for you.
Thank you! Turned out very well, it was more than edible🤣
Looks pretty darn good from here Jed.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris! I’m trying to figure out a beer post when my dry spell is over!
There is nothing about that meal I wouldn’t be all over Jed, nice job my friend!

BTW, tell your daughter her pic is awesome! Love seeing the kiddos involved!
Thank you Justin! Haha, we don’t let her online so she gets excited about pics to post🤣

I would eat that!!! Looks good to me. Sounds like a challenge with all the other stuff going on tho.

An idea: if you find yourself short on time. Try a SV cook. The timing in the SV is very forgiving. Ive done TT’s a few different ways with SV. Like SV to torch sear. SV then refrigerate then smoke back to 130.

I would Not do a TT like a brisket because I feel this cut deserves medium rare. But that’s just my opinion.
Thank you! Yes, SV is on my list of things to get.
I don’t think the TT purists are wrong, medium rare is the go to, but….. as someone who loves TT I will say that brisket style is not an insult to the cut and has its own place. I won’t do it all the time, but brisket style is delicious and a whole different flavor that compliments the cut and honors it in a different way.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks really good Jed! Funny as I too just did the partially frozen TT. Although I put it in a pan of cold water for an hour then on the smoker.....the inside was 27 degrees!

Looks really good Jed! Funny as I too just did the partially frozen TT. Although I put it in a pan of cold water for an hour then on the smoker.....the inside was 27 degrees!
Yes! I remember, that was a killer plate you had! I remember you got distracted and IT went a little high? Do you think that partial frozen created some of the issue with temp?

Good looking plate Jed. Tri tip is so good. I don't understand the cooking from frozen "technique" going around the forum right now though lol. Good on you for keeping your kids off the internet as youngsters. We didn't get cell phones for ours until they turned 15 and feel it was the right decision. When they turned 16 we let them get one social media each

Good looking plate Jed. Tri tip is so good. I don't understand the cooking from frozen "technique" going around the forum right now though lol. Good on you for keeping your kids off the internet as youngsters. We didn't get cell phones for ours until they turned 15 and feel it was the right decision. When they turned 16 we let them get one social media each
Haha, thank you Jake. I think the “technique” is popular right now because it’s something new most of us haven’t tried, introduced by someone like Al with high marks, makes it even more intriguing! All part of the fun I suppose!

Good call on your kids! Man, it’s a challenge now days, but I can’t stand how intrusive and out of control big tech is. I won’t let an Alexa in the house and do digital purges all the time. My kids will not like it, but we plan on the same approach you did!
Looks good! Great writeup too.
Thank you!

Yes! I remember, that was a killer plate you had! I remember you got distracted and IT went a little high? Do you think that partial frozen created some of the issue with temp?

Yes I got distracted, and I think frozen in general doesn’t react the same as fresh for red meat. But no I was searing it at 500 (air temp) so the grate temp was around 650 to 700....so my bad for a bit too hot.... this was only the second time searing on the left side of the new grill and didn’t think it would get that hot (very happy it does).....the right gets so hot with the sear zone it will burn your arm hair off in you aren’t careful.

I do poultry partially frozen all the time and actually think it helps with a better sear.

Oh and the best sushi on the planet is frozen to -300 degree as soon as it is caught!

I see nothing wrong with it . Looks fantastic , and I can almost taste it .
I just spun a bottom round to an I T of 150 , just to see how it would be. Tender and strong beef flavor , and that was a round cut . I can only imagine how good that TT was .
Nice work bud .

Man that looks good. I have never seen an untrimmed tt. I will be asking the butcher next time I seek one out. Beautiful job as usual Jed.

Jed, your TT took on a good looking smoke ring too.
The cook may not have gone according to plan, but the results turned out darn good. Nicely done!

Stu

Looks great from here Jed! I have 2 untrimmed TT in the freezer and am wanting to try them brisket style.

• Love
Things might have been crazy at your house but I'd definitely stood in line for a plate of that! I might just have to take a 40 mile trip one way for more tri tip, I've only ever had one and they are all untrimmed. I can't even remember how old our kids were when they got cell phones but things were simpler back then. I think your kids will survive...look at us, we survived...plus my first cell phone was so big no way was it going in a pocket!

Ryan

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky