Flank Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babydocsmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2022
Northern Utah
Alright guys... Picked up a couple of flank steaks from Costco yesterday. This is a first for me.

How should I grill em? They are both pretty big, and I'm kinda thinking fajitas for at least one of them. We're a fam of 6, with 3 boys and 3 girls. The boys are the carnivores of the family, but if things are pretty tasty even the girls will help put things away.

Thoughts?

Grill hot and fast to med rare, but they really need marinade with citrus juice for a night or so to soften them up. Orange, lime, pineapple and even grapefruit juice and any combination of those really helps the flavor and texture. with a little garlic S&P in the mix then pull from the marinade just pat dry and grill hot.

Here's the one I did.
Amazing flavor. But they should be marinated for at least 8 hours.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Teriyaki marinate for 8 hours or so(flipping every 1/2 hr.). Cook on high direct heat. When the meat releases freely from the grates flip and do the same to the other side. Cut against the grain and enjoy. Flank is one of my favorite cuts. It also brings back childhood memories. Enjoy...

Chris

Grill hot and fast to med rare, but they really need marinade with citrus juice for a night or so to soften them up. Orange, lime, pineapple and even grapefruit juice and any combination of those really helps the flavor and texture. with a little garlic S&P in the mix then pull from the marinade just pat dry and grill hot.
but the juice has to fresh, not canned or bottled. IDK but fresh pineapple juice for more than 4 hours might turn the meat to mush?

but the juice has to fresh, not canned or bottled. IDK but fresh pineapple juice for more than 4 hours might turn the meat to mush?
I never use straight pineapple juice. I’m a mountain boy so bottled juice is mostly what I have available, that said I usually juice oranges , lime and grapefruit from fresh, then and a good splash of pineapple juice from a bottle. Works great.

I never use straight pineapple juice. I’m a mountain boy so bottled juice is mostly what I have available, that said I usually juice oranges , lime and grapefruit from fresh, then and a good splash of pineapple juice from a bottle. Works great.
yeah, I have used a combo of fresh mango and pineapple juice and you really have to watch the timing. It will tenderize the worst cuts of meat though in short order.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks for that!! I'll grab some orange and lime and keep it simple for the first time around.
Teriyaki marinate for 8 hours or so(flipping every 1/2 hr.). Cook on high direct heat. When the meat releases freely from the grates flip and do the same to the other side. Cut against the grain and enjoy. Flank is one of my favorite cuts. It also brings back childhood memories. Enjoy...

Chris
I've been looking forward to trying. Thanks for the encouragement!!
Steve H Steve H forgot to tell you that you will need a $200 vacuum sealer, and a $50 marinating tray to do this the SMF way!
Ah, hell no! You won't enable me!!!
He'll enable us both! I should keep a running number of things I bought since I started the forum!
We'll keep it fresh for sure!

Thanks for the help guys!! I'll get pics of the ride when it happens.

Chris
This works well I like to use Mr. Yoshida's that I get from Costco as the base then kick it up.
1701618468167.jpeg

Reactions: gmc2003
Well here’s how it went…

IMG_9532.jpeg

In the marinade while at the office…gotta keep it close if we’re flipping every 30 min!
IMG_9533.jpeg

Out of the marinade and patted dry.
IMG_9534.jpeg

On the grill…
IMG_9536.jpeg

Gave her some time just over the coals.
IMG_9538.jpeg

IMG_9540.jpeg

Came out BEAUTIFUL!!
IMG_9541.jpeg

Couldn’t keep the little guy away. Came back for seconds and thirds.
IMG_9544.jpeg

Couldn’t keep this guy away either.

All in all I think it went stellar!! I tweaked the marinade recipe I found online and added some balsamic vinegar reduction and the wife didn’t like it 🤷🏻‍♂️. The fresh lemon juice did a wonder to tenderize everything.

Gonna try the second steak tomorrow.

Looks great, and I use pineapple fresh or bottles to help make tender.
If in a bag with the marinate and no air . The flipping does not have to be that often unless you just happen by the fridge . But that's me.

Looks like the kids ( both fur and furless ) enjoyed the goods, lol

I am not a big user of balsamic vinegar if used to be the stand out flavour and I find it over powers some foods, I like to use just white when I want the vinegar tang, and I love vinegar. That is why I do a lot of preserves.

David

He'll enable us both! I should keep a running number of things I bought since I started the forum!
I'd be afraid to see the total on stuff I've bought since joining on here!!!

You flank steak looks great....And if the little one came back for 2nds and 3rds you know it was a winner!

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222 and clifish
The cook on that looked near perfect from my computer screen view.

I'm late to the party but we like to marinate them in a chermoula sauce and then you put a fresh sauce (save some of the marinade) over the slices. Just tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky