First time beef ribs for the first cook on new MB 800

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Picked up a Masterbuilt 800 gravity last week off clearance, cooked off manufacturing oils then seasoned this past week. I was able to find Halal beef ribs at restaurant depot a couple weeks ago and was dying to try them. This is a 4 bone rack, trimmed off the fat and silver skin, did not pull the membrane.
1.jpg

seasoned up with SPOG and some of Roberts tx smoker tx smoker no salt dirt rub.
2.jpg

On to the smoker they go, 250 with chunks of cherry and mesquite in the charcoal hopper. They were calling for rain, so I repurposed the gazebo as my new smoking area. Not sure if Bonnie was happy, but she is stuck in the house for several weeks from foot surgery Friday so I have free run of the backyard.
3.jpg

They reached 200 deg much quicker than I thought maybe 5 hours and did probe nicely, so I pulled them and wrapped in a cooler till dinner.
7.jpg

While in the cooler it was time to start the French onion soup (another first for me). Caramelizing the onions in a pot with butter, thyme, garlic and bay leaves. then deglaze with red wine and add the beef stock.
4.jpg

New crocs for the soup, I used shredded gruyere and croutons, next time I will need to find slices as the cheese kept sinking and not all bubbly on top like it should. The flavor was awesome though.
6.jpg

Cut rib shot...these were bigger than I thought.
8.jpg

Plated with roasted asparagus, the beef flavor was totally on point. I am not sure if it was the cut or they should have gone longer as there was more fat than I thought there should be, but will be doing this again.
9.jpg

I really liked cooking on this rig, Keith 912smoker 912smoker was a great help before I bought this and we were texting back and forth all day today, I totally appreciated this. He also sent me some great pics of his pork tenderloin cook that I hope he posts up on as well.

Everything looks delicious! Today's was finally "cooler" here.... I could go for some of the FO soup! Thanks for sharing!!!
So doing that again, need to source a slab of the gruyere so it can cover the entire top and not sink like the shredded did....still quite tasty though

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
Looks great! The 800 is an amazing smoker. You are going to love the flavor that it puts out.
Yes, that is why I wanted this or the char griller 980. I knew I liked the profile using chunks and coals on my kettle. It was nice not having to babysit it like the kettle, it held temps great for the whole time.

Beautiful beef on a stick Cliff and glad to help ! That is some great bark and a mighty fine plate of food.
How was the smoke profile ?

Keith

Reactions: clifish
Beautiful beef on a stick Cliff and glad to help ! That is some great bark and a mighty fine plate of food.
How was the smoke profile ?

Keith
Just liked I had hoped, it was like my kettle with chunks, but easier for long cooks. Much better than my smoke hollow electric that I used pellets in a tube.

Reactions: 912smoker
Nice Cliff , and congrats on the new smoker . I know you put some thought into it . Glad you like it .
Ribs look great to me .
My Son makes a mean French onion soup . He uses shredded gruyere with a full slice of bread as a plug .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice Cliff , and congrats on the new smoker . I know you put some thought into it . Glad you like it .
Ribs look great to me .
My Son makes a mean French onion soup . He uses shredded gruyere with a full slice of bread as a plug .
Thanks, yeah I used larger croutons, I did not want to use 2 slices of an entire loaf of bread. I know the rest of the bread would not last a day and I need to keep my carbs in check.

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Looks delicious! You need to watch out for 912smoker 912smoker he will lead you astray...but in this case it's a good thing!

Ryan
Simmer down now Ryan I just helped with the new cooker....not the cook 😅
Those great beef ribs were all due the skill of clifish clifish .
Although I suggested that he ship them to me for an "official" taste test !

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
OMG!! The ribs look amazing but I'd do the backstroke in a bowl of that FO soup. Sorry the cheese didn't work out but it was still fantastic and you learned how to deal with it next time. Did you get a nice crunchy char on the ribs? That has been one of the things I've loved about that rub. Very nice job my friend!!

Robert

Reactions: clifish
OMG!! The ribs look amazing but I'd do the backstroke in a bowl of that FO soup. Sorry the cheese didn't work out but it was still fantastic and you learned how to deal with it next time. Did you get a nice crunchy char on the ribs? That has been one of the things I've loved about that rub. Very nice job my friend!!

Robert
Yes, the dirt rub made a nice crust. They were not as tender as I thought they should be. That could be from the cut or maybe letting it ride longer?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky