Beef short rib help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KCJayhawk

Original poster
Nov 10, 2023
I just smoked beef short ribs 11 hours at 210 overnight to 190 IT. I was doing until 202 like brisket per a few recipes. I checked for the first time at 190 and they were charcoal. I’m using a MEATER that works great so I don’t think that it’s the thermometer. I’m always an IT cooker. Should I just use the “6 hours at 225 and judge tenderness” method instead? Thanks for your help.

I just smoked beef short ribs 11 hours at 210 overnight to 190 IT. I was doing until 202 like brisket per a few recipes. I checked for the first time at 190 and they were charcoal. I’m using a MEATER that works great so I don’t think that it’s the thermometer. I’m always an IT cooker. Should I just use the “6 hours at 225 and judge tenderness” method instead? Thanks for your help.
Hi there and welcome!

Beef ribs (and brisket) are cuts that are done by tenderness.
My guess is you basically "jerky'ed" those, meaning hot air constantly flowing and removing moisture vs really cooking them.
Beef ribs can dry out on you especially on the beef sides.

There is some info missing about your cook.

Did you cut them into individual ribs or were they one big block?
These were definitely short ribs and not beef back ribs (like no meat on them) correct?
What kind of smoker are you using?
Did you wrap at all or naked the whole time?

Beef ribs really don't care about the temp you cook them at as long as you aren't burning them and they are actually cooking vs being dehydrated.
Now they can dry on the meat sides (not the bone sides).
In my MES (electric smoker) moisture is retained very well so I don't have to wrap or use a water pan or spritz or anything BUT I do remove the beef rib membrane. I cut the membrane in half and then I wrap it around the meet sides of the ribs that like to dry out and I pin it in place with toothpics. This puts like a protective layer that will take the brunt of the heat and airflow AND hold in juices and moisture.

I smoke mine at 275F unwrapped the whole time until an IT of about 203F and then I check for tenderness by stabbing all over and especially checking where the meet and the bone come into contact. When it is tender all over like butter I pull em.

Other types of smokers and may have different results vs mine but you get the idea. I hope this info helps :)

I've been away for a bit. Thanks for all of the replies. I will try to answer all of the great points.
  • Yes there was sugar in the marinade, so that certainly contributed to the char
  • They were well over-done; not salvageable
  • They were cut into individual ribs. The idea was to get a little more smoke area, but it clearly backfired on me.
  • They were naked the entire time; the membrane idea is great
  • I'm probably just going back to my wife's braised short ribs- they're foolproof and delicious.
Thanks again for all of the insights.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky