Beef Cheek Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Hey there folks... haven't been very active of late, just being lazy. Work hours changed and I've been lurking instead of participating. Just felt like I was driving with half the tires on the shoulder lately.

I did these once before, but no pics, so it didn't happen. Defrosted a pack of cheeks from the somewhat new latino section at the local Kroger. Rumba! brand if I recall.

There was a lot to trim, but I cleaned them up and salted while I prepared the rest of the stuff.

20240319_172852.jpg

20240319_173117.jpg

Mixture of onions, beef stock, Chipotles in adobo, cumin, ancho powder, mexican oregano and some garlic and black pepper. Oh... a few bay leaves also.

20240319_173318.jpg

Everybody in the pool! A little over an hour in the IP, then remove the meat and bay leaves. Shred the meat and simmer the sauce for a few minutes before hitting it with the stick blender.

20240319_173354.jpg

Dipped the street taco sized tortillas in the broth, tossed them in the skillet, then filled with the beef, Oaxaca cheese and some diced white onion. Crisped them up two at a time.

20240319_193813.jpg

Plate shot with some canned black refried beans. Everything topped with the sauce, my homemade pickled spicy peppers, more white onions and some cilantro. The texture this time around was a little softer than I cared for.. but the taste was spot on. I already know where the leftovers are going.... into some ABT's along with the Oaxaca and onions.

20240319_194359.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed these. I may try smoking the cheeks next time before the IP but that's for next time. Next in the line up are some wings going in the new basket I bought for the spinner. Gonna do that after work today.
Thanks for looking and happy hump day!

Beautiful plated shot! Those are my kind of flavors! I love cheek but as you mention it's a TON of work to trim. I'd sure pay a premium for pre trimmed. Such rich decadent beefy flavor.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Hey there folks... haven't been very active of late, just being lazy. Work hours changed and I've been lurking instead of participating. Just felt like I was driving with half the tires on the shoulder lately.

I did these once before, but no pics, so it didn't happen. Defrosted a pack of cheeks from the somewhat new latino section at the local Kroger. Rumba! brand if I recall.

There was a lot to trim, but I cleaned them up and salted while I prepared the rest of the stuff.

View attachment 692155

View attachment 692156

Mixture of onions, beef stock, Chipotles in adobo, cumin, ancho powder, mexican oregano and some garlic and black pepper. Oh... a few bay leaves also.

View attachment 692157

Everybody in the pool! A little over an hour in the IP, then remove the meat and bay leaves. Shred the meat and simmer the sauce for a few minutes before hitting it with the stick blender.

View attachment 692158

Dipped the street taco sized tortillas in the broth, tossed them in the skillet, then filled with the beef, Oaxaca cheese and some diced white onion. Crisped them up two at a time.

View attachment 692159

Plate shot with some canned black refried beans. Everything topped with the sauce, my homemade pickled spicy peppers, more white onions and some cilantro. The texture this time around was a little softer than I cared for.. but the taste was spot on. I already know where the leftovers are going.... into some ABT's along with the Oaxaca and onions.

View attachment 692160

I thoroughly enjoyed these. I may try smoking the cheeks next time before the IP but that's for next time. Next in the line up are some wings going in the new basket I bought for the spinner. Gonna do that after work today.
Thanks for looking and happy hump day!
Man those look great! Thx for sharing!
Brad

Beautiful plated shot! Those are my kind of flavors! I love cheek but as you mention it's a TON of work to trim. I'd sure pay a premium for pre trimmed. Such rich decadent beefy flavor.
Thanks! And yes, decadent is a good way to put it. I can't wait to make the ABTs!

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great, that's a good lookin plate, right there. 👍

Thank you!

Oh wow! Dang, that looks high end. Can I make a reservation and give you my CC and let me eat til its maxed?

Jim
We don't take reservations but for you we could make an exception. Cash only, and we don't make change for anything below a $5 :emoji_wink:

Beautiful cook! Strong comeback! Congrats on the carousel ride!
Thanks! And yes... who knew I'd be on the carousel. Unplanned Tuesday supper.

Looks awesome!!! :)

Thanks It was quite tasty!

Aw c'mon now, IP is cheating!
J/K 😜

mr_whipple mr_whipple
Those look muy muy Bueno!
I could eat cheek tacos till I puked, and then eat more!
Congrats on the Carousel ride!
Yes... the IP is a bit of a cheat but hey, nobody is talking about the lack of my place in the baseball hall of fame either.... anyhow, appreciate the kind words. I am far below a beginner when it comes to any type of cuisine that one would call this stuff. I just see things and try them. Some work out, some don't.

Off the shoulder of the road , and straight on to the carousal.... great work

Nice looking tacos, and I could eat a few of those as long as I am not sitting next to John chilerelleno chilerelleno . 🤮 🤮

And like said above Pretty plate shot. Love it. ( never had beef cheeks, will have to find and try )

David

Off the shoulder of the road , and straight on to the carousal.... great work

Nice looking tacos, and I could eat a few of those as long as I am not sitting next to John chilerelleno chilerelleno . 🤮 🤮

And like said above Pretty plate shot. Love it. ( never had beef cheeks, will have to find and try )

David
Thank you for the compliments, David.

What's wrong.... you a sympathy puker?? And yes, get you some cheeks, they are intensely beefy. Next go round I'm gonna smoke then braise but not in the IP.

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
That looks great. My favorite way to do lasagna is using braised beef cheeks, but I only do it once a year or so because cleaning them is such a pain...

MW, Yowser, I could scoff down a plate of those tacos anyday, you hit that cook out of the park.
Thanks!

That looks great. My favorite way to do lasagna is using braised beef cheeks, but I only do it once a year or so because cleaning them is such a pain...
That sounds awesome. I did come across a recipe for beef cheek ragu when I originally was searching around for ideas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky