First Meatloaf-Need Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BuckeyeSteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
I'm going to smoke my first meatloaf today and could use some advice. I'm using 2 lbs of 85/15 and I'm thinking of adding a 9 oz package of chorizo I have in the freezer.
I've had pretty good results using the recipe on the Lipton Beefy Onion soup, so I'll probably use that.

I usually add onion and orange bell pepper to my meatloaf. I'm smoking it in a MES, so 275 deg is as high as I can set it. Will the onion and pepper cook at this lower temperature, or do I need to saute them first?

What temp do you recommend I smoke it at?

Personally I'd cook the onion and pepper unless you're doing a fine chop. I don't mind a little crunch from onions but others might. You'd cook it at a higher temp if using your oven, so 275-250 should be fine or you can go lower for more smoke. Make it moist to start to avoid drying out. Enjoy!

Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
I always saute mine first. I smoke at 225. Heres my last meatloaf maybe some ideas for you.....

Yep. I always saute my onions ahead of time.
Since you've used the recipe before, then there's probably no reason to advise you that the onion soup mix has a lot of salt in it, so I never add more.
Just my personal opinion, but I cook ny meatloaf at 240 to get the maximum smoke flavor.
Gary
Yea, I never add salt. The ketchup has a lot of sodium also.

Did my first meatloaf the other day. Stuffed with shredded cheddar cheese and smoked with a little mesquite at 250 degrees. Turned out excellent.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Did my first meatloaf the other day. Stuffed with shredded cheddar cheese and smoked with a little mesquite at 250 degrees. Turned out excellent.
I just put mine in. I realized that with the addition of the chorizo it was going to be too salty for my taste. So I eliminated the onion soup mix and decided to wing it. I threw in anything that sounded like it might taste good. Onion, orange bell pepper, bread crumbs, eggs, ketchup, a few shakes of worcestershire, a few shakes of cayenne pepper, some smoked paprika and some garlic powder.

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I just put mine in. I realized that with the addition of the chorizo it was going to be too salty for my taste. So I illuminated the onion soup mix and decided to wing it. I threw in anything that sounded like it might taste good. Onion, orange bell pepper, bread crumbs, eggs, ketchup, a few shakes of worcestershire, a few shakes of cayenne pepper, some smoked paprika and some garlic powder.

Good idea to nix the onion soup mix. Everything else sounds spot on.

I turned out pretty good. Nice smoke flavor. I used 50% cookinpellets perfect pellet( Hickory base with Cherry, Hard Maple and Apple.,) and 50% hickory.
92FCBB39-6AA8-43F0-805E-74CD22A53667.jpeg

Served over garlic cauliflower potatoes with chives.
302FC59E-0939-448E-A3E5-6BB748E8A36A.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky