Fassett's Breakfast Sausage Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK, I made 3 batches of venison sausage adding to pop's recipe...I used 1/3 bacon ends and bits to 2/3 venison, this gave me enough fat so the patties were not too dry and could fry a couple eggs in the grease in a non stick pan.

I cut the salt to 2/3, added a littles more course pepper, increased the sage to 2/3 cup and added a teaspoon white pepper, tablespoon rosemary and finally a teaspoon of smoked paprika.

I also smoked a log with maple that can be nuked as a quickie treat.

unclesmokie

Just made a small batch using bacon for the fat. Pretty dang good! Next batch I may add some heat, but not necessarily needed. Thanks for the recipe.

Made some for Chirstmas presents for the family. My mother loved it, said it was better than anything you could buy and my step dad, who grew up on a farm, told me he hadn't had sausage that good since he was a child. Thanks Pops

Darrell

Reactions: wrwoelfel
My family has been using almost the same recipe as long as I can remember (that's a long time). Only difference is we like just a bit more sage.

Anyone that don't like Pop's sausage recipe don't know what sausage is supposed to taste like.

Lamar

Reactions: wrwoelfel
Just got done making 14 lbs. of Pop's sausage. 7 lbs. of regular and 7 lbs. of spicy. For the spicy, I added 1/4 tsp. of my dads dried ground up mixture of peppers. The boys loved it and the wife was ok with it. She says it doesn't taste like JIMMY DEAN, I said, "it's not, it's Pop's recipe. She will never understand my madness. Got pork butts for 1.14/lb. can't beat that. Thanks Pops for the recipe. 

I am going to make Pop's breakfast sausage this weekend with 14lbs of pork butt and 10lbs of elk.

Sometimes simple is just darn good!

Grinding, seasoning and packaging tomorrow.

Plan is to make 1/3 spicy with red pepper flakes, and 2/3 regular pops.

RHD, keep us posted on your sausage !
Thanks CM,

Left to right:

Fresh ground black pepper, Rubbed sage, Sea salt, Hickory powder, Red pepper flakes

Vac packed elk - 2 years old, I am really happy how this kept in the freezer, fresh and sweet.

14lbs regular left and 10lbs spicy right.

The fry test was absolutely delicious, and left me wanting more.

I'll do some vac packing patties tonight.  
icon14.gif

Reactions: crankybuzzard
I covered some of my counter space with wax paper and used a rolling pin to make the sausage about a half inch thick, I then used a glass as a cookie cutter to make sausage patties.

I am going to freeze them over night to make vacuum packing easier.

The 24 lbs made right around 106 patties at 0.22lbs per pattie.

I just whipped up 7 lbs of Italian (because I really like Fennel!) but now after reading this post again, I suddenly have a huge craving for sage... <DOUH!>

I have a nearly infinite amount of sage (and the new leaves are growing in now - when they are the freshest and most flavorful) so how much fresh sage would you use (versus dry in the recipe)? 3x as much?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky