Question about sausage seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
cut up a 9 lb. butt for sausage, portioned out 2 1000g portions with the rest for later.
Not trying to confuse ,,,
Did you grind the whole butt then portion out your batch weight ?
I wouldn't cut chunks and grind separate .
The whole butt is around 80/20 . So I always grind the whole thing and lightly mix it into itself , then take my batch sizes from that . Keeps your lean to fat ratio .

The whole butt is around 80/20 . So I always grind the whole thing and lightly mix it into itself , then take my batch sizes from that . Keeps your lean to fat ratio .
Rich, as of now nothing has been ground (and it doesn't look like anything will happen until I get a set of scales I can trust). I removed the bone and the fat cap, which was more than I'm used to seeing. The total weight of the meat was 3244g and the fat was 641g. Trying to work with something close to a 70/30 ratio.

Back to the scales, I went to wally world and bought a set that weighs in tenths of grams...or so it claims. Zero out the plate I'm using and started adding spice, it won't display weight until about 3g and when I try to remove some of the spice, it goes to zero. It will not weigh ANYTHING under about 2g, so frustrating. It's going back to the store and sausage making is on hold until I can get a set of scales I can trust to read low weight in grams. I'm open to any recommendations...

For those interested in which scale it is this one, can't recommend it...

Rich, as of now nothing has been ground (and it doesn't look like anything will happen until I get a set of scales I can trust). I removed the bone and the fat cap, which was more than I'm used to seeing. The total weight of the meat was 3244g and the fat was 641g. Trying to work with something close to a 70/30 ratio.

Back to the scales, I went to wally world and bought a set that weighs in tenths of grams...or so it claims. Zero out the plate I'm using and started adding spice, it won't display weight until about 3g and when I try to remove some of the spice, it goes to zero. It will not weigh ANYTHING under about 2g, so frustrating. It's going back to the store and sausage making is on hold until I can get a set of scales I can trust to read low weight in grams. I'm open to any recommendations...

For those interested in which scale it is this one, can't recommend it...
I use this one

1000004115.jpg

Weigh Gram is what's on lid.

Ryan

I have a small one like Ryan , but bought this after Rick posted it . I really like it .
Smart weigh

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I use this one

View attachment 684837

Weigh Gram is what's on lid.

Ryan

I have a small one like Ryan , but bought this after Rick posted it . I really like it .
Smart weigh

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Still more than a little frustrated, but I will get some sausage ground at some point in time, hopefully the near future...

I do like Rich said and grind the whole thing. Even with an overly thick fat cap, you're probably around 70/30 at most.

I also usually pop the completed grind in the freezer for a few to chill it down a little before giving it that light mix and dividing it up. Cold is your friend when it comes to grinding and mixing sausage to keep from smearing fat.

Grind a few butts, mix well, and package in 1 kg sizes. Ground pork freezes amazingly wel
Finally got to use my new grinder and this is exactly what I did, thanks for the suggestion, John...
20240103_184808[1].jpg

Ground 2 butts, 7640g total, or just under 17lbs. in the freezer for now until I get a set of scales I can trust. Going to get a couple more tomorrow...

GS, Iodized salt can impart a metallic taste to your sausage ,really prevalent when adding cure. I can't help you on the breakfast seasoning because I cheat and but some from TSM.

GS, Iodized salt can impart a metallic taste to your sausage ,really prevalent when adding cure. I can't help you on the breakfast seasoning because I cheat and but some from TSM.
Thanks. I'm mixing my own seasonings to try and control the salt content. I have a few recipes to try soon. Looks like new scales will be here Saturday, but it will be next week before I can try them...

Reactions: crazymoon
GS, Too bad about your bad experience with those scales. I bought a cheap AWS brand off of Amazon many years ago and they have worked flawlessly. I guess you never know with this made overseas stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky