Another Batch...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...of my Sweet Bourbon Jerky. Here's the last time...
Lowes Foods had CAB USDA prime eye of round on sale for $5.99/lb. so I just had to. Besides, I've got a new slicer to try out...😉 The roast was just over 7 lbs...
20240110_141814[1].jpg

After trimming, I had 5 lb. 2 oz. of meat and 1 lb. 12 oz. of trim. Now what should I do with the trim??:emoji_laughing:
20240110_142751[1].jpg

Sliced ¼" thick on my "new" slicer, some with the grain and some across...
20240110_155712[1].jpg

20240110_160302[1].jpg

Made up the same marinade with the exception of the cure. I used this measurement posted by tallbm tallbm ...
1. To cut out all the guess work 1.33333 grams of Cure #1 per pound of "stuff". "Stuff" meaning add the weight of your meat + liquid = total weight of your "stuff".
I like using a weight much better than a measurement, but that's just my OCD nature and my new scales...🤣

So here's the Cliff Notes version...
Sweet Bourbon Jerky
  • 5 lbs. 2 oz. sliced eye-of-round sliced ¼" thick
  • â…” cup bourbon. Increased from ½ cup last time to try to get more bourbon flavor
  • â…” cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 4 T Dijon mustard
  • 3 T red wine vinegar
  • 2 T Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 T honey
  • 2-3 T chopped red onion. Didn't really measure
  • 3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic
  • 2 T course ground black pepper
  • 1.33333 grams of Cure #1 per pound of "stuff", as tallbm tallbm says, or in this case 8.75g of cure
Total weight of "stuff" was 1 lb. 7 oz. Meat was 5 lb. 2 oz., so total weight was 6 lb. 9 oz. or 6.56 lbs. if my math is right.

All in the fridge now for a good night's rest...
20240110_160925[1].jpg

In the dehydrator tomorrow or the next day. I'll be back...

Looks good Charles.
You're making good use of that new Berkel slicer
If you want to reduce the sodium look into coconut aminos. Adds roughly the same unami as soy, but almost zero sodium.
Do not use Braggs aminos. It has twice the sodium as soy and is chemically produced versus the fermented soy or coconut amino

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Me too! Glad you are doing this again... saw you mention it in another post, this saves me from looking.

Ryan

...of my Sweet Bourbon Jerky. Here's the last time...
Lowes Foods had CAB USDA prime eye of round on sale for $5.99/lb. so I just had to. Besides, I've got a new slicer to try out...😉 The roast was just over 7 lbs...
View attachment 685398

After trimming, I had 5 lb. 2 oz. of meat and 1 lb. 12 oz. of trim. Now what should I do with the trim??:emoji_laughing:
View attachment 685399
Sliced ¼" thick on my "new" slicer, some with the grain and some across...
View attachment 685400
View attachment 685401

Made up the same marinade with the exception of the cure. I used this measurement posted by tallbm tallbm ...

I like using a weight much better than a measurement, but that's just my OCD nature and my new scales...🤣

So here's the Cliff Notes version...
Sweet Bourbon Jerky
  • 5 lbs. 2 oz. sliced eye-of-round sliced ¼" thick
  • â…” cup bourbon. Increased from ½ cup last time to try to get more bourbon flavor
  • â…” cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 4 T Dijon mustard
  • 3 T red wine vinegar
  • 2 T Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 T honey
  • 2-3 T chopped red onion. Didn't really measure
  • 3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic
  • 2 T course ground black pepper
  • 1.33333 grams of Cure #1 per pound of "stuff", as tallbm tallbm says, or in this case 8.75g of cure
Total weight of "stuff" was 1 lb. 7 oz. Meat was 5 lb. 2 oz., so total weight was 6 lb. 9 oz. or 6.56 lbs. if my math is right.

All in the fridge now for a good night's rest...
View attachment 685402

In the dehydrator tomorrow or the next day. I'll be back...
Nice work, I'll be looking forward to the final result! :D

Looks good. Can’t wait to see it!
Thank you. Hopefully in the morning I'll get them in the dehydrator...
I like that idea. I've done both ways when I've had two roasts but never thought to do one roast both ways.

With the last few jerky threads I pulled an inside round out of the freezer to do up on the weekend.
Thanks. I cut the EOR in half across the grain. Then I cut one of those halves in half again with the grain...
Damn man! You've been busy!
Seems like it, but with the nasty weather we had, it was a good time to get busy. Still a lot of work left to do...
Heck ya. Looks good. Nice slicer.
Thanks a lot. It is a nice slicer for sure and I feel humbled by my friend letting me use as long as I want. Still more to slice coming up...
Looks good Charles.
You're making good use of that new Berkel slicer
If you want to reduce the sodium look into coconut aminos. Adds roughly the same unami as soy, but almost zero sodium.
Do not use Braggs aminos. It has twice the sodium as soy and is chemically produced versus the fermented soy or coconut amino
Thank you, John. That slicer hasn't been used in years so might as well get it limbered up, bacon is coming.

I'm always looking for a way to reduce salt so thanks for the suggestion...
In for the finish Charles, you put that slicer right to work!
Just trying to make sure that slicer knows what it was made for...😂
Looks like a great start!

Jim
Thank you, Jim...
Me too! Glad you are doing this again... saw you mention it in another post, this saves me from looking.

Ryan
Ryan, it's been too long and the slicer just makes it easier. Lowes Foods, the grocery store where I bought the EOR, has CAB prime top round on sale this week for $5.99/lb. May just have to pay them another visit...😉
Its an addiction 😉 looks great !
Yes it is, thank you...
Nice work, I'll be looking forward to the final result! :D
Hopefully tomorrow I can post the results. thank you for the cure calculation...

Taste was really good, but still not getting the bourbon hit that I'm looking for.
Have you ever tried reducing it?

When I make bourbon salt I'll reduce half a bottle down to about a quarter cup or less. It obviously changes the flavour but for cooking it's an "essence of bourbon" bomb.

Not sure how it would work in a marinade but I think it would have that same punch.

I've made a Bourbon Cream Soda jerky before, but it was definitely cream soda forward so I can see where you're coming from.

A reduction might be worth a shot (pun fully intended).

The other thought - I think there's a couple ingredients blowing out the bourbon. Personally I'd 86 the soy sauce and red wine vinegar, and replace them with a saline solution and a more neutral acid (and less of it) like a tsp of white vinegar or lemon juice.

Bourbon holds its own, but probably not against shoyu. I think if you cut that back you'd get a more bourbon-forward flavor.

This one slipped thru the cracks. That jerky looks great Charles.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky