Couple of ducks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonrd463

Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
First time smoking ducks for me. I got inspired by a Malcolm Reed video on Youtube. Like him, I stuffed them with oranges and onions and glazed it with an orange juice and soy sauce mix. I probably should have cut that front skin flap off, but I'm going to spread it out and see if it crisps up. I'm going to let it smoke for a half an hour at 200 degrees, then crank it up to 320 until 165 on the probe.

20191026_194402[1].jpg 20191026_194939[1].jpg

First time smoking ducks for me. I got inspired by a Malcolm Reed video on Youtube. Like him, I stuffed them with oranges and onions and glazed it with an orange juice and soy sauce mix. I probably should have cut that front skin flap off, but I'm going to spread it out and see if it crisps up. I'm going to let it smoke for a half an hour at 200 degrees, then crank it up to 320 until 165 on the probe.

View attachment 409441 View attachment 409442
Good looking domestic quackers.

Reactions: jonrd463
Watching here, I’m not certain I’ve ever eaten duck.

I've had it a grand total of twice, but never smoked. One was roasted and the other grilled. I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit. I've done plenty of butts and chicken, as well as some briskets and chucks. Figured I'd try my hand at duck, with the thought that if I'm able to pull it off, I'll do one for Thanksgiving or Christmas to supplement the standard turkey.

Got them covered in foil and resting for a bit.

Attachments

• doneducks.jpg
    doneducks.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: smokerjim
I'm going to wait and carve them up tomorrow, but I couldn't help myself and had a drumstick before tucking them in for the night. Delicious! There didn't seem to be much smoke penetration, but I'll see how it tastes tomorrow.

I have a friend who every year brought me 3 or 4 wood ducks around Thanksgiving every year. She kept all the curly little tail feathers to make a hat band for me. But as all things do our paths took different turns and its been a long time since I have seen those ducks or my friend but I often think about them and her. I would always soak them in milk, dry and then smoke them with a bread dressing made with fruit and nuts in it. So good. Thank you for the memory.

Been wanting to try a duck for a long time, just never did one, Only time I smoked a duck was inside a turducken. Be interested to see how yours turns out!
Al

they look good, I like duck but as some of the others said I never smoked them, might be worth a shot though.

My mouth is water looking at that finished picture...you got anymore pics after you sliced them? What did you think? Don't see them around here much but would love to smoke some. Delicious meat!

I'm going to wait and carve them up tomorrow, but I couldn't help myself and had a drumstick before tucking them in for the night. Delicious! There didn't seem to be much smoke penetration, but I'll see how it tastes tomorrow.

And....and....says he with bated breath!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky