Backs & Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well you went and did it again my friend. A truly epic meal. all the meat looks fantastic but I gotta tell, you, those deviled eggs are beyond anything I've ever seen. Just amazing...and of course the pic of the grands is priceless. So glad to see you back in the saddle and keeping the zoo fed.

Robert

Well you went and did it again my friend. A truly epic meal. all the meat looks fantastic but I gotta tell, you, those deviled eggs are beyond anything I've ever seen. Just amazing...and of course the pic of the grands is priceless. So glad to see you back in the saddle and keeping the zoo fed.

Robert
I try hard to please!! Thanks Robert for your kind words, they really do mean a lot to me, my friend...

Hell Yeah!
I'm here to tell ya, just like everyone else, "Those Burnt Ends Deviled Eggs are freaking looking Bombalicous!"
And the pics do it all real justice, wow!
Strong work man, strong work.

And them kids look like a pack of wild ones that tamed right down when it came time to eat.
Well tame enough to get a picture taken.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I bought a couple pork bellies and decided to make one into burnt ends. I used Malcolm Reed's technique, but my own spices and sauce. Figured while I had the smoker going, I'd throw on some baby back ribs, too and invite the zoo to eat. So here we go...

The stars of the show...
View attachment 679297

The belly was sliced into 1½"-2" cubes and seasoned with a low sugar KC style rub I make...
View attachment 679298
View attachment 679299

Seasoned on all sides and onto a cooling rack for their date with some smoke...
View attachment 679300

The ribs were seasoned with a combination of Kinder's Black Cherry Chipotle and Morning Buzz Hot Honey rub...
View attachment 679301

Got my old faithful Ok Joe fired up with cherry and put these to rest in the smoke for a few hours...
View attachment 679302

Starting to get right...
View attachment 679311

After about 3 hours, the burnt ends went into an aluminum pan with a whole stick of butter cut up and covered tightly with foil. Back on the smoker for a couple more hours. On the stove, I heated up ¾ cup of Sticky Fingers Original BBQ sauce, about a ½ cup of apple juice and ½ cup of cherry preserves. Also threw in a good dash of Texas Pete. This is allowed to simmer for maybe 15 minutes. When the ends were done, they were drained and this sauce was mixed in...
View attachment 679303

The ribs were wrapped for an hour and then unwrapped and glazed with Duke's Tennessee Smoke & Whiskey BBQ sauce. Allowed to smoke for another hour or so...
View attachment 679304
View attachment 679305

Meanwhile, I prepared a creamy style mac & cheese. I made a roux with 10 tbsp of butter and 10 tbsp of flour. In a pot, I had ½ gallon of ½&½ warming. Once the roux was nutty smelling, I added the milk, 2 lbs. of grated Cabot's Seriously Sharp white cheddar cheese and a block of cream cheese. When all is melted, it is stirred in with 2 lbs. of cooked elbows in an aluminum pan. This is topped with French's Crispy Fried Onions and baked at 350℉ for 30 minutes or until bubbly and the onions start to turn brown...
View attachment 679306

My wife made some deviled eggs. I topped them with slices of the burnt ends, some of the BBQ sauce, and some green onions. Left a few plain for anyone who wanted them that way. I got the idea from a restaurant we went to that had them on their menu as an appetizer and my wife loved them.
View attachment 679307
View attachment 679308

Also had Hanover brand green beans and potatoes. For something right out of a can, these are really good.

Give thanks, especially now, as we have plenty to be thankful for...
View attachment 679309

Break out the fine china and cutlery, time to eat...
View attachment 679310

I don't particularly care for fall-off-the-bone ribs, but most everyone else does. Maybe next time, I won't wrap them. Other than that, there's nothing I would change...
That is an amazing cook!

Jason

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I bought a couple pork bellies and decided to make one into burnt ends. I used Malcolm Reed's technique, but my own spices and sauce. Figured while I had the smoker going, I'd throw on some baby back ribs, too and invite the zoo to eat. So here we go...

The stars of the show...
View attachment 679297

The belly was sliced into 1½"-2" cubes and seasoned with a low sugar KC style rub I make...
View attachment 679298
View attachment 679299

Seasoned on all sides and onto a cooling rack for their date with some smoke...
View attachment 679300

The ribs were seasoned with a combination of Kinder's Black Cherry Chipotle and Morning Buzz Hot Honey rub...
View attachment 679301

Got my old faithful Ok Joe fired up with cherry and put these to rest in the smoke for a few hours...
View attachment 679302

Starting to get right...
View attachment 679311

After about 3 hours, the burnt ends went into an aluminum pan with a whole stick of butter cut up and covered tightly with foil. Back on the smoker for a couple more hours. On the stove, I heated up ¾ cup of Sticky Fingers Original BBQ sauce, about a ½ cup of apple juice and ½ cup of cherry preserves. Also threw in a good dash of Texas Pete. This is allowed to simmer for maybe 15 minutes. When the ends were done, they were drained and this sauce was mixed in...
View attachment 679303

The ribs were wrapped for an hour and then unwrapped and glazed with Duke's Tennessee Smoke & Whiskey BBQ sauce. Allowed to smoke for another hour or so...
View attachment 679304
View attachment 679305

Meanwhile, I prepared a creamy style mac & cheese. I made a roux with 10 tbsp of butter and 10 tbsp of flour. In a pot, I had ½ gallon of ½&½ warming. Once the roux was nutty smelling, I added the milk, 2 lbs. of grated Cabot's Seriously Sharp white cheddar cheese and a block of cream cheese. When all is melted, it is stirred in with 2 lbs. of cooked elbows in an aluminum pan. This is topped with French's Crispy Fried Onions and baked at 350℉ for 30 minutes or until bubbly and the onions start to turn brown...
View attachment 679306

My wife made some deviled eggs. I topped them with slices of the burnt ends, some of the BBQ sauce, and some green onions. Left a few plain for anyone who wanted them that way. I got the idea from a restaurant we went to that had them on their menu as an appetizer and my wife loved them.
View attachment 679307
View attachment 679308

Also had Hanover brand green beans and potatoes. For something right out of a can, these are really good.

Give thanks, especially now, as we have plenty to be thankful for...
View attachment 679309

Break out the fine china and cutlery, time to eat...
View attachment 679310

I don't particularly care for fall-off-the-bone ribs, but most everyone else does. Maybe next time, I won't wrap them. Other than that, there's nothing I would change...
great batch of grub. For the longest time i would only do 3-2-1 wrapped ribs but the FOTB thing drove me crazy. Last year at the S Florida gathering I broke the habit and it worked out well. since got the WSM i never wrap any more.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky