Chuckie (Step by Step) with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
 If you could successfully smoke a chuckie you definitely can successfully smoke a brisket.
Yeah I've just been waiting for the right time to pull the brisket I have in the freezer out.  I always had full intentions of smoking it I was not going to hold back.  With the success I had the the blade I'll be doing up the brisket soon.  Although I do still have a couple of 1/2lb bags in the freezer from the blade last week. 

Looking big picture, a brisket is a chuckie.  No fear left here.  :D

Now that I took the plunge and joined the board rather than just lurking, I'll make sure to snap pics along the way.   Post 'em all up when I'm done and the belly is full.

cheers

Joe

Yeah I've just been waiting for the right time to pull the brisket I have in the freezer out.  I always had full intentions of smoking it I was not going to hold back.  With the success I had the the blade I'll be doing up the brisket soon.  Although I do still have a couple of 1/2lb bags in the freezer from the blade last week. 

Looking big picture, a brisket is a chuckie.  No fear left here.  :D

Now that I took the plunge and joined the board rather than just lurking, I'll make sure to snap pics along the way.   Post 'em all up when I'm done and the belly is full.

cheers

Joe
Joe, I'm usually bad about posting Qview photos because it's all I can do to get the smoker and meat prepped and get everything done in time for dinner that night. I intentionally took time for taking photos because I wanted a visual chronicle of my first smoked pulled pork.

@daRicksta

I hear you there.  I was trying to get some good pics of the first few I did.  I remembered for the Boston butt but missed some one the blade roast.  Thats why I was hoping to have the phone in pocket and try to remember to take it out once in a while lol.

Cheers

Joe 

Oh btw any good suggestions for something to inject into this upcoming brisket?  I've not done any injections yet and was planning to try with this time 'round.

Thanks

Joe

Oh btw any good suggestions for something to inject into this upcoming brisket?  I've not done any injections yet and was planning to try with this time 'round.

Thanks

Joe
I've never injected anything I've smoked but some of the BBQ pros insist it's a must for competition bbq. I've got two great smoking books: "Spice & Smoke" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison and "Slow Fire: The Beginner's Guide to Barbecue" by Ray Lampe. These are beginner books and neither one mentions injecting the meat.

Here's how some pros on BBQ Pitmasters do it:

Keep in mind that these guys typically smoke meat at 275° which is hotter than the temps we smoke at. In addition, we use well-insulated electric smokers and they don't. I've smoked several briskets and all of them turned out moist and juicy. I think the only reason for injecting briskets or any meat would be to instill extra flavor throughout the meat if you think it needs it.

I bet that you could take whatever you use for foiling juice and inject that into the meat as well. And I highly recommend foiling brisket.

@daRicksta  I did foil my blade, as I was planning with the brisket but thought an injection might help add some flavour.  

I'll take a look around and see what people are using on beef for injections.

thanks for the links too.

Joe 

hijack2.gif

hijack.gif

OK----This was a "Chuck Roast" Step by Step to show Newbies how to smoke a Chuck Roast.

Even though it would cut down on the number of posts on this thread, I wish we could get back to what it was designed for.

See Post #1.

Bear

@Bearcarver  Sorry to have hijacked your thread.  I didn't realize I'd gotten too far off track.  2 butcher shops offered me brisket when I asked for a chuck roast.  I did end up with the blade roast and and a brisket from this outting.  Then I used this exact thread to smoke my first beef roast and achieved a great out come but was left with 1 more chuck roast that just happened to be a brisket.  My 2nd chuckie.

But I 100% see your point and you may have your thread back now :) 

Thanks again for the step by step.

Cheers 

Joe

I had totally forgotten what thread this was but that happens to me a lot. I get an emailed notification of which thread has an update but when I click on "See Post" it takes me to the post I want to respond to. Once I'm there I always forget the title of the thread I'm in. I then just go with whatever's being discussed at that point in thread. It's been my experience in social networking sites that threads frequently mutate into subjects far afield from how they began.

@Bearcarver  Sorry to have hijacked your thread.  I didn't realize I'd gotten too far off track.  2 butcher shops offered me brisket when I asked for a chuck roast.  I did end up with the blade roast and and a brisket from this outting.  Then I used this exact thread to smoke my first beef roast and achieved a great out come but was left with 1 more chuck roast that just happened to be a brisket.  My 2nd chuckie.

But I 100% see your point and you may have your thread back now :) 

Thanks again for the step by step.

Cheers 

Joe

I had totally forgotten what thread this was but that happens to me a lot. I get an emailed notification of which thread has an update but when I click on "See Post" it takes me to the post I want to respond to. Once I'm there I always forget the title of the thread I'm in. I then just go with whatever's being discussed at that point in thread. It's been my experience in social networking sites that threads frequently mutate into subjects far afield from how they began.
Thanks Guys, I didn't want to sound rude. I just like to keep my Step by Steps from going off into other things. I don't mind it on other threads, but since my Step by Steps are more than just plain old "Look Ma--Look what I did", I tend to feel a little more protective of them for the benefit of those who will continue to use them to get them started in smoking things they haven't smoked before.

Thank You Again,

Bear

Thanks Guys, I didn't want to sound rude. I just like to keep my Step by Steps from going off into other things. I don't mind it on other threads, but since my Step by Steps are more than just plain old "Look Ma--Look what I did", I tend to feel a little more protective of them for the benefit of those who will continue to use them to get them started in smoking things they haven't smoked before.

Thank You Again,

Bear
I fully support you in this, Bear. What can I personally do if I see a thread you started which is important to you get hijacked? Or are you the one to take action? As I told you separately I'm aware of something called giving a post a bump but I'm still not sure how it works.

I fully support you in this, Bear. What can I personally do if I see a thread you started which is important to you get hijacked? Or are you the one to take action? As I told you separately I'm aware of something called giving a post a bump but I'm still not sure how it works.
Don't worry about it, Rick, It doesn't happen often.

I just don't like to see a conversation about other things go on forever on one of my Step by Steps.

Thanks for asking though,

Bear

Question-

From the time you started (8:30 am) until you foiled (2:25 pm), did you have chuckie in a foil pan or on the rack with a pan under him?

I'm thinking of turning this into my Mississippi Pot Roast, which I've only ever made in a slow cooker with peppers, au jus mix, Ranch dressing mix & butter. It's more of a braising though in the slow cooker, so I'm trying to figure a way to do it in the smoker & not dry it out.

Thanks,

TW

Question-

From the time you started (8:30 am) until you foiled (2:25 pm), did you have chuckie in a foil pan or on the rack with a pan under him?

I'm thinking of turning this into my Mississippi Pot Roast, which I've only ever made in a slow cooker with peppers, au jus mix, Ranch dressing mix & butter. It's more of a braising though in the slow cooker, so I'm trying to figure a way to do it in the smoker & not dry it out.

Thanks,

TW
Both this Step by Step, and the other one (Twin Chuckies) in my Index were started on the open rack. Then Double foil wrapped with juice at 165°.

However if you wait a day or two, I'll be posting a Chucky I did on Saturday that I started in an open foil pan, on a wire cooling rack. Then I added a juice mix to that & covered it with foil to finish.

I think you might like that more, but you might want to leave out the wire cooling rack, since you're adding Peepers & such.

Stay Tuned,

Bear

Last edited:

Both this Step by Step, and the other one (Twin Chuckies) in my Index were started on the open rack. Then Double foil wrapped with juice at 165°.

However if you wait a day or two, I'll be posting a Chucky I did on Saturday that I started in an open foil pan, on a wire cooling rack. Then I added a juice mix to that & covered it with foil to finish.

I think you might like that more, but you might want to leave out the wire cooling rack, since you're adding Peepers & such.

Stay Tuned,

Bear
I'll be on the lookout buddy.

Thanks.

TW

Thanks for the Step by Step Bear! I don't have any reputable butchers in my town, so I picked up a four pound chuck roast that was on sale at my local grocery store. I threw it in my MES early this morning and just fill up on some good, good beef. Not all the fat rendered, but that's okay because it tasted like butter and I'll find a use for it later. I love the tip of turning down the temp in the smoker while resting, never would have thunk it! And of course, I have to show off.

Thanks for the Step by Step Bear! I don't have any reputable butchers in my town, so I picked up a four pound chuck roast that was on sale at my local grocery store. I threw it in my MES early this morning and just fill up on some good, good beef. Not all the fat rendered, but that's okay because it tasted like butter and I'll find a use for it later. I love the tip of turning down the temp in the smoker while resting, never would have thunk it! And of course, I have to show off.

That's Great, Chef !!

Looks like you had some outstanding eating there!!!
drool.gif

Glad you like my Tip too!!!  The meat I get just isn't smart enough to know the difference between sitting in a cooler wrapped in towels, or sitting in my MES at an equalized temp.
icon14.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky