traeger smoke issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

froglips

Original poster
Apr 24, 2024
my traeger 750 produces tiny amounts of smoke, I have tried all the gadgets: tubes, trays, switching pellets ECT. My question is Could i use a somkai cold smoker Attachment while using the Traeger heat source at the same time?The Smokai puts out huge amounts of cold smoke. Thank you

Reactions: JLeonard
Tiny amounts of smoke? Pellet smokers like the Traeger don't generally put out billowing clouds of smoke. They do tend to put out a fair amount of smoke when they start up, or when the auger dumps a more pellets into the hopper to maintain heat. For the most part, it's a thin blue smoke.

Tiny amounts of smoke? Pellet smokers like the Traeger don't generally put out billowing clouds of smoke. They do tend to put out a fair amount of smoke when they start up, or when the auger dumps a more pellets into the hopper to maintain heat. For the most part, it's a thin blue smoke.

Thank you, my end results with the thin blue smoke have not left my Briscuit with any smoke flavor, i clean my fire pot after each use, I was going to try the cold smoke attachment with the Traeger heat to get more smoke

Thank you, my end results with the thin blue smoke have not left my Briscuit with any smoke flavor, i clean my fire pot after each use, I was going to try the cold smoke attachment with the Traeger heat to get more smoke

How long are you smoking your brisket for? I've never had smoked meat from an offset smoker so I can't really compare the two. The Traeger and other pellet smokers like it are a bit like a convection oven in that they're quite efficient and don't usually impart a heavy smoke flavor.

I have tried a pellet tube and pellet tray for smoking, but it's a considerably different flavor compared the Traeger and my family doesn't really care for it too much. It's ok with bacon, but I tend to avoid it on sausages and the like.

Are you getting a smoke ring?

How long are you smoking your brisket for? I've never had smoked meat from an offset smoker so I can't really compare the two. The Traeger and other pellet smokers like it are a bit like a convection oven in that they're quite efficient and don't usually impart a heavy smoke flavor.

I have tried a pellet tube and pellet tray for smoking, but it's a considerably different flavor compared the Traeger and my family doesn't really care for it too much. It's ok with bacon, but I tend to avoid it on sausages and the like.

Are you getting a smoke ring?
Thanks for answering my post, depending on the size of the brisket it goes anywhere from 6 to 10 hours, whatever it takes to get to 203 ° I do wrap and put it in a cooler sometimes for 4 hours I do get a smoke ring which I find odd because there's no smoke taste. all my family and my wife agree I've had this thing for 4 years and I wish I had gone a different direction but I am determined to get this to work, it cost a lot and was a gift. I pulled the trigger and bought the cold smoker. I'll let everybody know how it turns out

Reactions: nlife
Thanks for answering my post, depending on the size of the brisket it goes anywhere from 6 to 10 hours, whatever it takes to get to 203 ° I do wrap and put it in a cooler sometimes for 4 hours I do get a smoke ring which I find odd because there's no smoke taste. all my family and my wife agree I've had this thing for 4 years and I wish I had gone a different direction but I am determined to get this to work, it cost a lot and was a gift. I pulled the trigger and bought the cold smoker. I'll let everybody know how it turns out
I hadn’t used my Treager in several years. I smoked a brisket the other day, overnight actually, set at 180. For 10 hrs if I recall correctly. The time is in a thread I made. Anyway I just asked my wife if she tastes smoke in that brisket. She said very little. She also said the stick burner imparts more of a smoke taste.
I also got a smoke ring. The brisket was good just not the same type of smoke taste as either of my sticker burners. But I like the Treager for what it is.
IMG_8859.jpeg
I will be putting a 14 pound brisket on the Treager in a few hours. Another over nighter where I will be sleeping while it does it’s thing.

I have a Traeger clone pellet pooper. I mostly use it for larger longer cooks such as pork butt. Adding a smoke tube gives enough smoke flavor for my wife.

At "smoke" setting it pumps out clouds of white, but relatively tasteless smoke. I'm going to experiment with slowing the fan speed to get a longer slower pellet burn.

I'll be watching for your results with the smoke generator. I believe you will be the first to try that combo.

I have a Traeger clone pellet pooper. I mostly use it for larger longer cooks such as pork butt. Adding a smoke tube gives enough smoke flavor for my wife.

At "smoke" setting it pumps out clouds of white, but relatively tasteless smoke. I'm going to experiment with slowing the fan speed to get a longer slower pellet burn.

I'll be watching for your results with the smoke generator. I believe you will be the first to try that combo.

I got my cold smoker from NEW ZEALAND I attached it to the back side of my traeger, i turned on the air pump got wood chips lghted from holes near the bottom of the tube And I got SMOKE, tommorow I cook some food

Attachments

• PXL_20240501_212924617.jpg
    PXL_20240501_212924617.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240502_021919293.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240502_021919293.MP.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240502_022659952.jpg
    PXL_20240502_022659952.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240502_022745042.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240502_022745042.MP.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 9
I have to say that I also feel that pellet smokers have less smoke flavor than stick burners, wood chips, etc. That said I haven't used mine enough to see if lowering the temp a little and letting things take a little longer would produce a better smoke flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky