Step by Step Chicken / Smoked Deer Sausage Gumbo From Louisiana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cajun Smokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
First is the disclaimer: This gumbo does not reflect how all Cajuns cook gumbo.

With that being said, this is my first gumbo this winter season and decided to step it out. My go to is "hen" for gumbo. This bird is a little over 7lb and takes longer to become tender and longer cooked gumbo = great gumbo, IMO.
20231217_150225.jpg

Next up is the roux, you will always here about how great gumbo is made with homemade roux. Can't argue that but I have learned there are a few brands in the store that make it hard for the average gumbo taster to tell the difference. It's very convenient when time is short or you don't want to smell up the house by making roux. This is my first choice, very good roux and makes a great gumbo.
20231217_150329.jpg

This is homemade roux made by my aunt. She makes large batches at a time and always gives me some, but today is store bought.
20231217_150354.jpg

This is my go to seasoning when cooking just for me. When cooking for others I stay away from pepper.
20231217_150415.jpg

The hen is cut up very simple, cut at the joints without making nice precise cutting. This will come into play later.
20231217_151606.jpg

Even the back is added to the pot for adding flavor. Bone in chicken always adds a rich flavor to the gumbo. Back will be removed towards the end of being cooked.
20231217_152057.jpg

I cut up 2 onions and 2 stalk of celery to be added to the pot after the chicken has been browned. This can be added direct without cooking and still get great gumbo.
20231217_162201.jpg

Lightly coat the bottom of the pot with oil.
20231217_151747.jpg

When cooking gumbo I will cover the entire bottom with chicken to brown prior to starting the gumbo. This isn't necessary, you can skip this step and add hen direct to boiling water and still have very good gumbo.
20231217_151931.jpg

After the hen has browned, it is removed from the pot, little water added to remove all the goodness stuck to the pot. This isn't necessary, you can skip this step and still have very good gumbo. Mom says, color equals flavor, so this is why I spend the extra time.
20231217_153705.jpg
20231217_153920.jpg

Add 1 quart of water and about 1/3 jar of roux. Weighed it out for those wanting to know, 9.5 oz. Roux is added and allowed to break down into the water. Once the roux / water gets thick and start to bubble, it is ready to add 2 quarts of chicken stock.
20231217_152730.jpg

20231217_155312.jpg

I just add enough for 2 quarts direct to the pot with water added.
20231217_161818.jpg

Immediately after adding the 2 quarts, the base of the gumbo has been formed. To get to this point, it has taken me 1 hr so far. By skipping the additional steps above, your time will be much shorter.
20231217_155846.jpg

20231217_161550.jpg

Seasoning is basic and can be tailored to your liking. 1T salt, 1t black pepper, 1t cayenne pepper, 1t garlic powder, 2t onion powder. This added at this point and stirred in quickly before adding the hen.
20231217_155900.jpg

After 2 - 2 1/2 hr, hen is removed from the gumbo, debone, and meat only is returned back to the pot.
20231217_180002.jpg

After an additional 30min the cut up deer sausage is added, approximately 1lb. I like it cut into smaller pieces to fit the spoon with rice. I typically add the sausage approximately 30 - 45 min before it is complete. I like the gumbo to be kissed with smoke from the sausage and it keeps the sausage from becoming over cooked and mushy.
20231217_165528.jpg

Immediately after gumbo is cooked, remove the heat and drop in about a cup of green onions. The heat will be enough to cook the green onions.
?hash=3d1a1d77f213cc7053c6a4f8dc39328b.jpg

Time to go eat with fine China tonight. Thanks
20231217_184922.jpg

Attachments

• 20231217_161550.jpg
    20231217_161550.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231217_184519.jpg
    20231217_184519.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I've seen that brand of roux advertised and wondered if it was worth trying. Great write up and got me wanting gumbo for breakfast.

Jim

Yup , looks tasty . I agree , nice write up .
Thank you sir
I've seen that brand of roux advertised and wondered if it was worth trying. Great write up and got me wanting gumbo for breakfast.

Jim
This brand is certainly a good one, you will not be disappointed. I have eaten it for breakfast several times lol.
Awesome write up and I'm ready for a bowl.

Warren
Plenty enough to share.

I did forget to mention, at the end of cooking ,quite a bit of the water has been evaporated. If your seasoning taste too strong, just add a little water back until seasoning is to your satisfaction. Thank you for all your comments

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow, your step-by-step chicken and smoked deer sausage gumbo recipe is a culinary masterpiece! The combination of flavors from Louisiana promises an authentic and delicious experience. I appreciate the detailed instructions, making it easy for even novice cooks to recreate this Southern delight. The addition of smoked deer sausage adds a unique twist. I can't wait to try this recipe and savor the rich, savory goodness of Louisiana gumbo. Thanks for sharing your culinary expertise!

Wow, your step-by-step chicken and smoked deer sausage gumbo recipe is a culinary masterpiece! The combination of flavors from Louisiana promises an authentic and delicious experience. I appreciate the detailed instructions, making it easy for even novice cooks to recreate this Southern delight. The addition of smoked deer sausage adds a unique twist. I can't wait to try this recipe and savor the rich, savory goodness of Louisiana gumbo. Thanks for sharing your culinary expertise!
Thank you dannybm, welcome and thank you. Hope it works out well for you

First is the disclaimer: This gumbo does not reflect how all Cajuns cook gumbo.
Ingredient wise, I don't think I've ever made two batches of gumbo that were the same... the possibilities are endless 👍. In fact, if Tarzan and Jane were Cajun, Cheetah would probably hide on gumbo day. :emoji_laughing:

Say, what type of spoon are you using with the pouring notch? Is it for skimming fat off a broth?

Ingredient wise, I don't think I've ever made two batches of gumbo that were the same... the possibilities are endless 👍. In fact, if Tarzan and Jane were Cajun, Cheetah would probably hide on gumbo day. :emoji_laughing:

Say, what type of spoon are you using with the pouring notch? Is it for skimming fat off a broth?
You are right 🤣, monkey gumbo would have certainly happened. Reminds me of the Cajun joke where the dad and son kill something while hunting in fields behind their house. Son says "dad what is that", dad replies "I don't know but go tell mom to make a pot of rice".
My wife always came home with things we "needed", this was one of them. The spoon is actually multifunction, yes it does a great job skimming and pouring things from but it also measures liquids.
20231220_190704.jpg

You are right 🤣, monkey gumbo would have certainly happened. Reminds me of the Cajun joke where the dad and son kill something while hunting in fields behind their house. Son says "dad what is that", dad replies "I don't know but go tell mom to make a pot of rice".
Hehehee.

My wife always came home with things we "needed", this was one of them. The spoon is actually multifunction, yes it does a great job skimming and pouring things from but it also measures liquids.
What will they think of next?

Nicely done CS both in the write up and the final product

Point for sure
Chris

Great step by step. Have been on my list to make for a long time but for some strange reason never happened. You make it look so easy. Mabey it's that one push I needed to get it done. Thow I'll have to make the roux the hard way. Thanks for sharing

CS, Great post with your step by step instructions and excellent looking gumbo.
Nicely done CS both in the write up and the final product

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you sirs, I try my best. As always it was much better the next day.
Great step by step. Have been on my list to make for a long time but for some strange reason never happened. You make it look so easy. Mabey it's that one push I needed to get it done. Thow I'll have to make the roux the hard way. Thanks for sharing
Look up how to make roux in the oven on youtube. You don't have to watch over it and stir continuously, just stir now and then. The homemade roux in my post was made in the oven by my aunt. It's just so much easier. If you need me to put a guide together for, just let me know. Now get to cooking.

Very nice man!! I used to make a similar gumbo w wild duck and deer sausage. I would smoke the duck a few hours and then cover w water and simmer till tender etc. then my wife discovered she had the gluten allergy and I haven’t made it since. I need to try the roux with some rice flower I guess- just afraid it won’t be the same
Timber

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky