Chili (cook in progress)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
Fall has struck the south and that means, its time for some chili. Saw the weather today wasnt going to get out of the mid to upper 60s the other day and thought, hmmm Sunday will be a good day to make some chili.

Well, the cokking started today but the making started yesterday with 2.4lbs of stew meat and 1-1.5 lbs of grou d pork loin got put into a ziplock bag with the typical chili seasoning, chile powder, oregano, chipotle powder and cumin. Stayed in the fridge till about 11 this morn.

Then it came out to start knocking the chill off it before I throw the meat and 3 halved onions into the MES40 for a couple of hours with a mix of apple and mesquite

20231008_110804.jpg

Let that run for about 2 hours, then pulled it out of the smoker and let the onions cool to dice in a few mins, but first gotta throw down some bacon into the pot, because well bacon is delicious, Wrights Apple cider brined to be exact.

20231008_124212.jpg

20231008_124030.jpg

While the bacon is crisping up, onions cooled enough to dice up. Note, if you are dicing a smoked or partially cooked onion, its easier to just do a rough dice as the layers get slippery.

Now my bacon is nice and crisp, pull out the bacon and toss in the onions, couple spoonfuls of minced garlic, let that cook for a min, really to cook the garlic than anything else and the the meat and juice from the smoker pan goes went into the pot. Give it a stir, then coupe cans of crused tomatos, tomato paste and a box of beef broth oh and a spoon or two of chipotle puree.
20231008_130341.jpg

Now that everyone is in the pool, Im letting it simmer for a couple hours, throw some red and black beans to it.

You may think, that sounds pretty good, but wait theres more, because in about 2 hrs, the whole pot of chili is going back into the aluminum pan from earlier and back into the smoker for another 2 hrs again with a mix of apple and mesquite.

Stayed tuned, more picts w and progress to come later

Well being a southern boy myself…..I can say it is for sure getting close to chili weather! Yours looks like a great start. Of course, I’d have to have some cheesy jalapeño cornbread to go with it!

Jim

Well being a southern boy myself…..I can say it is for sure getting close to chili weather! Yours looks like a great start. Of course, I’d have to have some cheesy jalapeño cornbread to go with it!

Jim
I have some corn bread waiting on the counter, but I like a sweet cornbread for this, also have some jalapeno tortill chips and shredded cheese in the wings

Reactions: JLeonard
Yep Kevin, cooler weather is finally here. You're off to a great start with the chili. I had a similar notion yesterday as you did. Got a chuck roast ready to go into the slow cooker today for an all-day simmer. Seared it off with the grill and been going for about 4 hours. house is smelling heavenly, as yours is also most likely :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Round #2 has started, got two of these pans back in the smoker, this time, just gonna run mesquite only.

20231008_152242.jpg

And gratitous beer and tbs going on a wonderful Sunday afternoon. Id normally be inside watching some football but both games that are being shown here are blowouts, so Ill enjoy the cool air and cold beer

20231008_153405.jpg

Stay tuned for the final installment of a chili Sunday

Blue Moon wants to be Hoegaarden, Hacker Pschor is even better. Not that Blue Moon is bad, but its a Coors product
I love banquet Coors, so there ya go. But yes I do like the spicy white ales. Born and raised in Colorado. When I was a kid I used to fall asleep in the tractors and grain trucks hauling Coors barley to our local grain elevator. It’s just tradition here. Btw, Coors Banquet is still only brewed in Colorado even after Miller/Molson bought them out.

Done and out of the smoker, forgot to take a pict.

More importantly, here is the bowl pict. The chili is topped w shredded cheese, jalapeno lime tortilla chips and a chunk of sweet cornbread on the side. I ate way too much. Luckily we still have plenty for dinner tomorrow nite.

I may let it simmer a bit more tomorrow, stew meat didnt quite break down as much as usual, oh well still tasted delish.

Thanks for the looks and words

20231008_180211.jpg

At work we got into a heated debate over whether chilli is chilli if it has beans. I'm in the no bean camp, but not because I am a beanist (I'm not), I love beans, but the texture they provide remind me of a stew.

I also don't think Cincinnati Chilli is Chilli, to me it seems like more of a spreadable meat paste.

I'm curious if there are more dudes out there that see chilli as being all meat with spicy seasoning?

Regardless it looks outstanding OP.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky